ARB CKMTA12 - 2012 JK Install Ideas?

zeddjb

So doing a search all over the internet, I could not find any install ideas for an ARB CKMTA12 Air Compressor. I know everyone has their opinions about why or why they don't like this model/brand however, I'm looking for some information as to the install/mounting ideas.

I have a couple in mind, but they are not my first choice because they are inside the cab and I would much prefer it under the hood if that's even possible. One method is to mount it underneath the passenger front seat and the other is to mount it on the rear gate. Although these are not bad ideas, I'm just not sure I want it inside because of the noise. My wife rides with me and I don't want to blow out her eardrums when I run the thing.

So, has anyone installed this little piece of equipment in a 2012 JKU or know someone who has? Your ideas are much appreciated and always welcome.

Serg5000

i have asked ARB if they were going to come out with a bracket to mount it under the hood like the first model. They basically said they did not intend on doing so. They also said that most people are mounting it on the rear wheel wells. But that would be inside the cab. i put off buying one until someone comes out with a backets. I think space is the issue. Being twice the size it's not exactly easy to work with.

zeddjb

i have asked ARB if they were going to come out with a bracket to mount it under the hood like the first model. They basically said they did not intend on doing so. They also said that most people are mounting it on the rear wheel wells. But that would be inside the cab. i put off buying one until someone comes out with a backets. I think space is the issue. Being twice the size it's not exactly easy to work with.

I guess having it inside isn't the worst thing, but having it on the rear wheel well increases the distance from the battery and thus can reduce the output of the compressor. I looked at it yesterday and mounting it there will probably have to do for now. I hate cutting holes in the Jeep for temporary fixes.

zeddjb

Well after much debate and thinking on the matter, it was decided that the best place to mount it, for now anyways, was the rear driver wheel-well. See pictures below.

IMG_20120427_170352.jpg IMG_20120427_170330.jpg

I still need to wire it up, but chance of rain today and it's only about 45 degrees with a cold wind so I decided to hold of on wiring it up for a warmer day. For the most part, it's out of my way and I'll just have to be careful not to hit it. This is somewhat of a temporary mounting location, as I will be researching better locations.

zeddjb

Awesome find!!! I'm going to look into this. Would you be able to take some pictures of yours so I could get an idea of what it looks like?

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I'll try and get some pictures today and post tonight. I have got to finish the Big Brake Kit from Teraflex today anyway so I will see what I can do.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
FYI... my wife's JKRU has the CKMTA12 mounted in the same place. It was a PIA to get to the bracket to tighten the bolts on the bottom but it can be done.

zeddjb

FYI... my wife's JKRU has the CKMTA12 mounted in the same place. It was a PIA to get to the bracket to tighten the bolts on the bottom but it can be done.

Looks good. Thanks for the pictures. I'll look into this because I really do want it under the hood.

cool danish

Do you have any pictures of the CKMTA12 (dual compressor) mounted in your wife's JKRU? Are you using the same bracket as the single compressor shown in the pictures in the previous post?

ilikeguns

sorry to bump an old thread.. but does anyone have any more pictures (or even general tips/descriptions) of this compressor mounted below the hood? looking to do this on my 2012 JKU

zeddjb

I know this isn't under the hood of my Jeep, but personally I like where it's at and I thought I would share. It gets pretty warm under the hood and the AC unit gets pretty warm also so I didn't want to double the effects of the heat and end up destroying the AC prematurely. It's also not as noisy as I thought it was.

What I ended up doing was buying a small portable air tank, hooking up a regulator to it and then my AC pumps air into the tank. Instead of air coming directly from the AC, it comes from the tank. The regulator turns on when the air gets down to a certain pressure. The tank can be disconnected when ever I'm not using it and the AC can still be used normally if I don't want to use the tank.

You might ask yourself why I utilize a tank when this AC is 100% duty cycle. Well, to be honest, I think I get a steady flow of air this way. What I mean is, the AC seems to have a low output PSI (low in that it's not up to par with what I think it should be), so instead the tank provides constant pressure the entire time.

Well I hope these pictures help you out a bit. Sorry I don't have any of the tank connected.

Attachments

• 2012-09-06 11.45.09.jpg
    2012-09-06 11.45.09.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 2012-09-06 11.45.01.jpg
    2012-09-06 11.45.01.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 2012-09-06 11.44.40.jpg
    2012-09-06 11.44.40.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 2012-09-06 11.44.29.jpg
    2012-09-06 11.44.29.jpg