Fuel Economy on 3.6L V6 Grand Cherokee???

My wife and I are considering purchasing a new Grand Cherokee. One thing we're trying to figure out is the actual fuel economy of the 3.6L V6. The window sticker says 17/24. Are you guys seeing that or what are you actually getting?

Benito

Caught the Bug
Not the same vehicle but a 2013 JKUR, 15 mpg city, 18 mpg highway @65mph , 16 mpg highway @ 85 mph. 6 speed manual transmission, bone stock

Army_Vet

Banned
my 6 speed sport bone stock will get a consistent 20 mpg if i take the highway to and from work 18 if i mix it up with backroads

JBO-JK

I travel 500 miles one way coming too work if I use 89 octane gas and set the cruise control I get 20 mpg in the 4dr wrangler

Sent from my HTC One X using WAYALIFE mobile app

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
My wife and I are considering purchasing a new Grand Cherokee. One thing we're trying to figure out is the actual fuel economy of the 3.6L V6. The window sticker says 17/24. Are you guys seeing that or what are you actually getting?

remember, the JK is a brick. the Grand will get better MPG

Army_Vet

Banned
I travel 500 miles one way coming too work if I use 89 octane gas and set the cruise control I get 20 mpg in the 4dr wrangler

You would get higher mpg's with higher octane??? Just asking!

My 4dr jk with 35's gets about 13 around town. I went on a trip up to oregon and got about 10 pulling a couple quads to the dunes. Had to stop and fill up at about every gas station I seen

JBO-JK

I do see a difference in mpg using a higher octane gas

JBO-JK

I only run 89 octane defiantly saw an improvement in mpg between the 87/89 octane

JBO-JK

I have tried 91 did not see a difference between 89/91 I normally set the cruise control about 72 on the highway didn't notice much of a change around town though.

Thanks for the feedback guys :thumb: I've heard numerous times the debate on MPG for the '12+ JKU's.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience in a '12+ Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L V6 :yup:

Jackal01

I have had my '12 Laredo WK2 4x4 for 18 months. Before lift, wheels and tire I got 22 highway and 18 city. Within 100 miles of ownership the lift and everything was installed so the engine was not broken in and not even a full tank was used. I just had a CAI and exhaust put on a couple months ago but before the two I was getting 17 city and 21 highway. The CAI was put on first and the MPG dropped to 15 and 19. The Gibson exhaust (installed a month later) brought it back up to what it was before and actually ever so slightly better, 17-18 city and 21-22 highway. I don't drive easy either.

On our trip last summer to Durango from Houston I was at 22 MPG by the time I hit Dallas and maintained that MPG all the way to Durango. So estentially the CAI and exhaust brought the MPG back up. I cannot complain about the MPG at all. Just wish a tuner was out for it.

Last edited:
I have had my '12 Laredo WK2 4x4 for 18 months. Before lift, wheels and tire I got 22 highway and 18 city. Within 100 miles of ownership the lift and everything was installed so the engine was not broken in and not even a full tank was used. I just had a CAI and exhaust put on a couple months ago but before the two I was getting 17 city and 21 highway. The CAI was put on first and the MPG dropped to 15 and 19. The Gibson exhaust (installed a month later) brought it back up to what it was before and actually ever so slightly better, 17-18 city and 21-22 highway. I don't drive easy either.

On our trip last summer to Durango from Houston I was at 22 MPG by the time I hit Dallas and maintained that MPG all the way to Durango. So estentially the CAI and exhaust brought the MPG back up. I cannot complain about the MPG at all. Just wish a tuner was out for it.

Thanks for the info... We picked up a '14 GC today. Looking forward to the better fuel economy. We're coming from a 10-11 MPG, 6.2L GMC Yukon, so pretty much anything is better than that. :cheesy:

Jackal01

Reports from other '14 WK2 owners is that the new 8 speed tranny is getting better MPG than the '11-'13 WK2.

Oh and congrats. :clap2:

I need to do the opposite of y'all are get a JKUR. But...that is 5+ years down the line.

Last edited:

Firewrangler

Know this is a little late, but my wife's Grand Cherokee Limited is getting right around 21 mpg on the interstate, but that's running 80. Drop down to about 70 and you can bump 24 mpg. 17 to 18 in the city! Hers is a 2011.

Top Bottom