Rear brake froze up?

Halas

So my wife came home from work and I noticed that there was smoke coming from the rear passenger side wheel well.

I went to look and it seems that the brake was smoking, unfortunately it was just getting dark and I could not tell what it was coming from. My wife said that she smelt something burning and the rear was squeaking while she was driving but it would come and go.

Her jeep is a 2009 jku, I just changed out the brakes and rotors about 2 months ago.... Everything seemed to be in great shape.

Does anyone have any idea of what may be wrong so I know what to be looking for when the sun comes up in the morning?

Thanks,
Jeff

mhaines

The driver rear caliper locked up on my 08 JKU. Not sure why, but it did. Replaced it and no issues since

Halas

It is not the e brake, there is brake dust everywhere.

I think the caliper may have seized, ?

I am going to have to check in the morning when I can see, I think that is the only thing that even makes any scenes.
With all of the brake dust..... The damn thing must have worn through those new pads on my wife's ride home on the expressway.
That would explain the squeal that she was taking about.

How hard is it to change the caliper and does anyone have a link to a install write up or video?

It is not the e brake, there is brake dust everywhere.

I think the caliper may have seized, ?

I am going to have to check in the morning when I can see, I think that is the only thing that even makes any scenes.
With all of the brake dust..... The damn thing must have worn through those new pads on my wife's ride home on the expressway.
That would explain the squeal that she was taking about.

How hard is it to change the caliper and does anyone have a link to a install write up or video?

Well if it is the caliper the biggest thing will be just disconnecting the brake line. Remove caliper as if you were going to change the pads. You should also be able to check them to see how much wear there is. No signs of wear I would look at the rotor and possibly the wheel bearings. If it was hot enough to smoke chances are the rotor is warped. A good test to see if the rotor is warped is to take an 18 inch steel ruler and lay across the face of the disk. If you see any gap the rotor is warped and will cause premature brake pad wear. Another though is to pull the rear rotor and check to the bearings. I believe if there were any brake issues the computer would have spit a code. I would strongly recommend changing both at the same time. It will be apart. I would also check the e-brake as well. Inside the disk are small pads which holds the wheel when the ebrake handle is pulled.

please keep us posted.
r/
Will

Halas

Ceased caliper, brake pads and rotors were in great condition.

Spent less then $55 for caliper, brake cleaner spray, grease, and brake fluid. Job is done!

Top Bottom