Santiago peak Ca,

Krieger

Ran this trail today with some new friends from the Wrangler Forum. Met them on the trail and I must say, what a bunch of great people. Here's a few photos of our adventure.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373164715.943334.jpg
Group shot ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373164741.459296.jpg
Today's trek
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373164773.264117.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373164784.024077.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373164693.078020.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373164693.078020.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 236
Very nice! I've been trying to hit this trail for some time but can't find any good info on it. (Where it starts, how to get there's etc) mind filling me in?

Krieger

Santiago peak is a Moderate trail, its easy with some rocky hills to climb
but other than that its just a dirt road
With the exception of some small bypasses to mess around on.

To get to the trail take Highway 74 which is Ortega Highway. From lake Elsinore turn right at 1.2miles ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373293876.761177.jpg past the El Cariso Fire Station. Turn on Long Canyon Road (Not marked, watch for a sign to Los Pinos Camp.)
If you are coming from the 5 freeway up to Ortega turn left 3.2 miles after upper
San Juan Campground.
Once you turn go down the paved road
Turn right at 1.7miles pass Blue Jay Campground. At 2.5. Keep going than turn left on a hidden road at 3.4miles

I tracked the whole trail on the Alltrails App just search the trail and look under
Tracks.

Rivertoys

Hey, I was there!
standing%20wave.gif

photo6.JPG

I ran into you all at the Main Divide / Maple intersection. Nice to meet you guys!

I was on my way back from a run out to Beek's Place...
photo5.JPG

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo4.JPG

Lost my CB antenna on that run along Main Divide back. I noticed on my way down to Silverado, but the photo I took where I met you all confirmed it was gone then, so we didn't go back for it.

Jason.

Krieger

Wow that's cool about same day same trail but sucks about your antenna. I'm going to have to go back up to go check out that place. What was it? A house.

Rivertoys

Yeah, The Beek Family owns the land in that area, and still owns the house. They are the family that has run the ferry boat in Newport since the '20s. I did some google searching to find the story behind it, before we went.

Mr Beek bought like 680 acres up there, and was going to subdivide it. He found it was too steep and rugged though. He loved the area and built the house and complex you see in the photos. It was built in the late 30s and very early '40s. I found a date of Sept 1941 in the concrete for the structures that held his wind power generators. They used the house until the mid-1980's. They couldn't keep up with the vandalism though, and stopped trying at that point. The son who is 81 now still goes up there from time to time (he remembers placing the foundation rocks as a kid). He said he thinks his father's spirit is up there somewhere.

Krieger

Wow what a great story. So much old history all around us and all you gotta do is go find it.
Thanks for sharing.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Very nice! I've been trying to hit this trail for some time but can't find any good info on it. (Where it starts, how to get there's etc) mind filling me in?

Take Chapman Ave east. It turns into Santiago Canyon rd. After you past Irvine Lake turn Left on Silverado Canyon Rd. Take Silverado to the end and keep on going past the fire gate. You are there. You can take it to Santiago Peak and then all the way to Ortega Highway. It’s an easy, scenic day run.

Hey, I was there!
standing%20wave.gif

photo6.JPG

I ran into you all at the Main Divide / Maple intersection. Nice to meet you guys!

I was on my way back from a run out to Beek's Place...
photo5.JPG

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo4.JPG

Lost my CB antenna on that run along Main Divide back. I noticed on my way down to Silverado, but the photo I took where I met you all confirmed it was gone then, so we didn't go back for it.

Jason.

Where are these buildings? I went up today, but didnt see any thing like this

Rivertoys

They are at the north end of Main Divide Road. Where Skyline and Black Star Canyon Rd meet with Main Divide.

33 49.223 N
117 38.313 W

Very near the weather radar station (looks like a big golfball).

Took the trip up to Santiago peak yesterday to see a bald eagle on the way back down the Indian truck trail to the 15 freeway

gtony12

Caught the Bug

Hey Jason cool pics, sorry about your antenna. I haven't been up there in years need to make s trip up one day.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

TNuggs13

Take Chapman Ave east. It turns into Santiago Canyon rd. After you past Irvine Lake turn Left on Silverado Canyon Rd. Take Silverado to the end and keep on going past the fire gate. You are there. You can take it to Santiago Peak and then all the way to Ortega Highway. It’s an easy, scenic day run.

Do you know if you need a forest pass? Also, how long did this take for the day? I think the wife and I are going to make this run this Sunday and wanted to get more info.:thumb:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Do you know if you need a forest pass? Also, how long did this take for the day? I think the wife and I are going to make this run this Sunday and wanted to get more info.:thumb:

I think technically yes you need a pass if you are parked somewhere. Just don’t park anywhere for too long. I’ve never been asked to show one.

As long as you do not park and leave your jeep, you should be fine but in the 3+ times I have been there, I have never seen a ranger or anybody of authority. You can also enter the trail from the Ortega highway or the Indian truck trail off the 15. If you speed through it, you can be up and back down within 2 hours but if you take your time, it can take 3+ hours. If you can, I'd suggest being at the top for sunset as it's quite the view on most nights
by7apeba.jpg

TNuggs13

As long as you do not park and leave your jeep, you should be fine but in the 3+ times I have been there, I have never seen a ranger or anybody of authority. You can also enter the trail from the Ortega highway or the Indian truck trail off the 15. If you speed through it, you can be up and back down within 2 hours but if you take your time, it can take 3+ hours. If you can, I'd suggest being at the top for sunset as it's quite the view on most nights
by7apeba.jpg

Thanks. Those are the 2 ways I saw on how to get up there. Thinking of entering off Santiago Rd and ending on the 74.

Top Bottom