Cb antenna 102" whip on a 4 doors?

Tranquillity

Is it something that can be done or it would look silly?

I broke my little wil magnetic and I'd like something better. I fear the fiberglass one since I need to get into an underground parking or break it on a branch when wheeling.

Any other idea that a fiberglass one or a magnetic ?

wvjeepin

Just get one of those wire whip one they put on the hummer for the military, then bend it down when you need to go underground

FrankenJeeper

I ran a 102" whip on my JK for a little while before I got my fire stick. I've ran a whip on every vehicle I've had, and I got the fire stick just for something different, so no problems for me with a whip.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ROCKCRAWLER2011

I think most run a shorter fiberglass;

a) It gives you more clearance on the trail,
b) alot (generally speaking) of Jeepers don't have cbs to listen to truckers and need extended range on the highways,
c) a whip on the trail is overkill,
d) it can be somewhat of a headache if you aren't accustomed to the size.

I have a 2ft, 3ft, and a 5 foot, all fiberglass. I run the 36" 99 percent of the time. If I do take a long trip I will put the 5ft on just for the range, yes it make a big difference. Comes to preference. IMO in the desert and mountains a longer whip would be more beneficial, in the woods, smaller.

If you like it, run it!!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have a 3 foot fiberglass and have never had any issues with it. That being said I will be replacing it with a 2 foot so I can forints the garage.

Tranquillity

The problem with the fiber glass is my office parking. My radio antenna is already banging on every sprinkler loll. My only option with a fiberglass would be to make some kind of Quick disconnect, anybody ever did this ?

rinkishjk

K40 makes a very flexible whip. That's what I run. 4ft. I can bend it down and tuck It into the bottom of the soft top for garages.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I run glass mounted to my spare rack. The rack helps brace the antenna when I hit things ( lots of parking garage roofs) hasn't broke yet

rinkishjk

I think I will be going with this, seems nice ! What base are you using ?

It's mounted to a tf tailgate mount. I honestly forget what mount it is, but the antenna, astatic coax cable and mount I got from a cb shop. It's different than the fire ring setup. I can take a pic later if needed.
It looks just like what Jeepinlife posted above.

Ace McDuck

Firestik has a quick connect you can use, it would be the simple fix.

I went with the quick connect on my JKU with a 4' firestik on the Teraflex tailgate mount and the quick connect broke after a couple of months. The firestik is too stiff for the quick connect. I would forget to take off the antenna and smack it through the underground a bit. :doh: I'm looking at a whip and relocating to the rear bumper side so I can bend it forward and tie it down somewhere along the side of the jeep. If anyone has done this can you post pics please?

Ldogg

I have a cooltech gate mount, they also sell a mount that attaches it to the license plate holder. The tailgate mount can be flipped around to make it shorter or taller. have a 4' firestik firefly and as you can see its about 14" over the top of my jeep. a 3' would be close to level with the top of the jeep I think. Firestik also makes that quick disconnect and I have one but didn't use it because it adds like 3" to the length. Their plate mount would also work well.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374238993.481523.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374239034.995433.jpg

Top Bottom