Leveling a 2012 JKU springs or spacers

NHAkita

I am finding the new Jeep a little overwhelming... The last time I was into wheeling there were not as many choices. I want to level out my JKU but don't need a big lift. I am looking at the 2 inch kits. There are several spacers out there that have a 2 inch front 1 inch rear, some have end links most do not. I would think you would need them so there are a few choices there as well. Then there are the spring leveling kits same deal with the 2 front 1 rear some with shocks some not. Since I went with the sport I'll replace the shocks no mater which way I go. Sorry I'm rambling and my head is spinning... Then there are all the choices in shocks that were not there 20+ years ago...

I don't know how you guys that build the "REAL" Jeeps do it... my hat is off to you being able to decide what to try next.

Any advice in personal preferences and technical pitfalls to look out for is Greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
if you're feeling like your jeep has too much rake and just want to level it out, i might recommend that you just get something like a teraflex leveling kit. that'll get the job done for cheap and you really won't need anything else to make it work. if you're looking for a bit more lift, well, up into the 2.5" range, everything is pretty much the same out there and you really can't go wrong. again, if you're trying to level out your jeep as well, try to get a kit with the rear spacers that are shorter.

07rub

i installed my AEV 2.0" spacer kit and it leveled it out perfectly and its a complete kit and ride nicer then b4 i installed it

before

292644_420941437934484_263419507020012_5169043_568805191_n.jpg

after

545148_420941604601134_263419507020012_5169045_1862287042_n.jpg

NHAkita

07rub

That is exactly what I'm looking for. Is it spacers, shocks and end links? I'll have to look it up.

Thanks guys!

Paul

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i installed my AEV 2.0" spacer kit and it leveled it out perfectly and its a complete kit and ride nicer then b4 i installed it

just so that i'm on the same page here, the kit you got is essentially coil spacers, rear sway bar links and adapters to allow you to use your factory shocks.... how exactly did it provide a better ride than what you had before when nothing really changed other than your ride height? :idontknow:

NHAkita

End links for the rear?

The end links go on the rear sway bar? I would have thought that since the leveling kit raises the front 2 inches and the back 1 inch the bigger geometry change would be on the front sway bar.
The AEV kit comes with shock extensions which would seem to limit compressed travel instead of extended... which I think with the 2012 is an issue, according to the article on front drive shaft vs exhaust on here a few days ago. Should I look into a travel limiting "strap"? Would shocks made for 0-2 inch lift be the extended limiter?
What is the extension limiter on some of the Rock Crawlers you have? What keeps the springs from popping out when you have one wheel on a rock and the other on the same axle hanging in air?

Thanks,
Paul

07rub

the links go in the front, and i know its doesnt make sense for the ride but it did help the only thing i can see is that my links were getting worn out so the new one made it more stable i dont know and im happy lol and its shock spacers too so u can reuse ur factory shocks. if u were closer i would have said come over to install it i know the tricks now lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
the factory rear links are long enough that every kit i've ever installed simply re-uses them up front and rears with new longer links. if the aev kit does not do this, your rear links are now too short.

shock extensions will limit up travel for sure but, that's the nature of the beast when it comes to a budget boost.

new sway bar links shouldn't do a thing to improve ride quality but, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters :yup:

07rub

lol true but the rear link dont look too short cuz the spacer in the rear was 1 3/4 in and u had to remove the factory cup so in total only gave like an inch of lift in the back

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
lol true but the rear link dont look too short cuz the spacer in the rear was 1 3/4 in and u had to remove the factory cup so in total only gave like an inch of lift in the back

the factory rear links were designed to work best at factory ride height and you just lifted your jeep. the factory isolators are soft rubber and compress under the load of your jeep and do not account for 1" of lift - more like 1/2" at best. but hey, if that's what aev says to do in their instructions, who am i to argue with them. :cool:

07rub

Well lol u know what ur talking about but from what i heard, the aev owner is "anal" for quality lol and this is only temporary sp my 33" didnt rub anymore cuz we have a trail run week end on the 18th. later i will get a full system for sure

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well lol u know what ur talking about but from what i heard, the aev owner is "anal" for quality lol and this is only temporary sp my 33" didnt rub anymore cuz we have a trail run week end on the 18th. later i will get a full system for sure

LOL!! yeah, i'm sure you've heard that.

ichthus

Let me start by saying that I've got a pair of 08's, so the newer issues on 12 models with the exhaust trumpet are things I can't speak of.

Regarding spacers: if you remove the spring isolators, you willed up with a more harsh ride. This might not sound too bad, but in the long run it will fatigue your Jeep inside and out. Ball-joints and tie-rods are already known for premature failure on JK's, & I don't imagine that this will help anything. I really noticed it, however, on the interior, where vibrations and pops and creaks increased significantly. Spring compressors can be rented cheap, use a prybar...but make sure the isolators are kept. I was told to remove the isolators and, forgetting about them, ended up buying a spring lift in hopes of an improved ride.

Regarding springs: I went the cheaper Route on springs and have few complaints. The next Jeep I lift, however, I'll go with progressive rate springs, allowing for better ride on pavement and better performance offroad.

Regarding Shocks: I've been incredibly impressed with the performance of Bilstein 5100 shocks. They might not be cheap, but I've had some friends prefer them to some reservoir shocks. If you have stock rubicon shocks to use, I would consider going with shock extensions, but otherwise, 5100's would get my $.

I found Death Wobble to be an issue on both of our Jeeps after they were lifted and the fix was quite simple: JKS adjustable track bar, fresh alignment, and then I swapped for a Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer. There is a company making brackets for a dual 5100 stabilizer kit, but I think that's overkill (not a bad thing) for a simple leveling lift.

ichthus

Ah yes, about the links: I found extra rear links and installed them up front, but would prefer quick disconnects.

I have the spacer lift i used & would be more than willing to sell it w/or w/out Rough Country 2.2 shocks. Might even be able to include some rear sway-bar links.

07rub

My kit didn't ask me to remove the insulators, i said to remove the factory cone shape spacer in the back with a new one

NHAkita

Thanks

ichthus,
Thanks I think you and Wayaoflife have talked me into just going with a better spring lift. I see there are a couple kits out there or I can throw one together myself. I plan on an winch and winch bumper so I think I need to go with a heavier duty spring up front to keep it from sagging. I did see a great deal on Bilsteins and have had good luck with them in my F150 in the past.
I thought I might be able to get out of this cheap since I was only looking to level it and not go much more than 33's but seems like ya' get what ya' pay for and I should do it right the first time.

Thanks Guys!

Paul

ichthus

The lifts I've purchased have always been the cheapest part of the lift. Replacement shocks, track bar, stabilizer....that's what added up :)

BigRedRubicon

Teraflex leveling kit and Spidertrax 1.5 " spacers. Stock Rubicon tires. It will give your body enough lift to help, give you a wider stance and make it look like a Jeep. It also will handle better on the road.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120816_120701.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120816_120701.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom