Roof rack

Jdscott343

Roof Rack

I'm looking for a good roof rack for a '12 JKU. Any opinion on various makes would be appreciated.

sean.m.adams33

Roof Rack

I do not run a roof rack but I really like the gobi stealth rack. Have seen it on some jeeps and it looks great.

BlackKnight

JKU or JK, makes a big difference. Also do you want removable/hinged so you can remove/change your top, etc..

Also this is probably in the wrong section of the forums...

BadApple

I have the Body Armor base roof rack with a thule basket becquse I found the thule basket for about 350 dollars less than the body armor one. Mounted it kinda ghetto but it looks fine. I bought 4 pieces of 1 inch steel angle and mounted tgem under the bars so that the basket sits low in the rack and I can still get it in my garage.

Sent from a little JK!!

BadApple

And with the body armor one you can still open your top. I put u bolts on the basket so I can swing it up and still put my top down.

Sent from a little JK!!

Dave_g

My friend has the Body armor one, Doesn't have a good look to it, Really shitty actually in my opinion. Some of the bends on the verticals in the rear are not 100% equal so the rack sits a bit off centered. Also he has the Body Armor rear bumper, and you would think that they would be compatible, But no, he had to grind a way about a quarter inch by 3 inches to get them to fit on the frame mounts. And they are just way too obnoxiously tall and a drag on the MPG.

I personally am looking at getting the Gobi Ranger for my 2dr. I have seen them and they look like they work really well. I have heard that they do squeak a bit where they rack meets the windshield, but it can be solved with some nylon or rubber washers to isolate.

The other company I have been looking at is Garvin Wilderness racks, They are local to me here in San Diego, They just seem a little more bulky and squared up.

Just my opinions!:rock:

BadApple

Well he must have a shitty rack period mine sits level and all bends are equal no problems no squeaks durable and does nothing to gas mileage

Sent from a little JK!!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Gobi is the gold standard, so if you can swing it, go for it. The MBRP rack is also great, and looks awesome, but requires mounting to a hardtop. I really would like a roofrack, but since my rig is mostly a daily, I don't want to drag so much weight around, and for some reason, Jeep part manufacturers don't really make parts out of aluminum, which is a shame. I don't want to add dead weight so I am dealing without a rack. Most of them are 100lbs+ and they are high up, so added weight isn't something I want up there. Sorry for the rambe...if you really need a roofrack, I'd probably go with a Gobi. I like the wildboar one functionally, but the quality seems to be a bit iffy.

jk_herbert

Rack

Try looking for a expedition Rack, No Drilling involved just bolt on. That's what I bought plus it has light taps and very durable! IMG_2616.JPG

dstock

I went with Yakima tracks and bars on my 2010, which of course involves drilling the roof. While I didn't have any issues, I was concerned about putting too much weight up there so I would only load the lighter items in to the Thule cargo box.

Just picked up a 2013 Rubi and have decided to go Gobi Stealth this time and not drill my roof. I'll still be able to use my cargo box and have additional room for other items. Good luck with your decision!!

NTXRUBICON

I went with a 2001 XJ roof rack rails and then purchased the Surrco Rack and the a set of the xj hard ware and love!

I also like the Gobi as well but I did not like the full cage that comes down on the body so much.

Attachments

• securedownload-7.jpg
    securedownload-7.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 268
  • securedownload-8.jpg
    securedownload-8.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 353

Jkjamesdawson

I took a yakima mega warrior carge basket and thru bolted it to the hardtop. I've run it for more than three years like that with many wheeling trips including the Rubicon trail with more than 300 pounds on it....no problems. It was a cheap easy solution. If I was going to spend bigger money I'd be looking at the Frontrunner slim line two. It's not as well marketed as some, so you may not have heard of it but for my intentions it bests everything else on the market. Of course, the way you want to use your jeep and your rack may not be the way I want to use mine. Check it out online, there is a video of a 4door jeep being lifted up into the air by a crane using the rack as an attachment point. Now while you may never need to do that it certainly illustrates how robust their system is. If I had any other advice it Would be to not take roofrack advice from guys who don't have roof racks....just saying.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
bolts right on the rear windshield bolts and the front goes to the gutters ! :cool:

I can send you more pictures tomorrow ..

Would definitely like more pics and also a direct link for the rack. I can't seem to find it online, but thats probably because searching "expedition rack" shows every rack on the market. :D

Top Bottom