Waving from Saint Louis, Missouri

Hey all, just introducing myself here. I've recently re-joined the Jeep Community with my purchase of a 2013 JKU Rubicon in February. I was able to talk my wife into getting the Rubicon edition so that I "didn't have to do anything else to it". Well of course that didn't stick.

I took her and my oldest daughter out about 3 weeks after taking delivery and got stuck. The winch was an easy sale to my wife after spending about two hours hand cranking it out with a chain hoist. I found one on sale, in fact I think it was a pricing mistake, and modded my stock bumper and put it on. I've done little things like adding a DIY mesh grill, extending the axle breather hoses and putting clamps on at the axle, put a receiver hitch on, painted the muffler black, and recently put on a 3" Zone Offroad lift with nitro shocks, exhaust spacers, and 1.5" wheel spacers.

I've been out wheeling several times and have been amazed at what the Jeep will do basically stock. The lockers sure do come in handy, but I was banging up the undercarriage a bit, so I'm glad to have gotten the lift on. Bigger tires are planned down the road, but not now.

Heading out to Colorado the last week in August to hit some trails, so I'll probably be looking for advice from those of you that have been on where to head. Looking forward to getting to know you all a bit!

Here is a quick poser shot I took last week after installing the lift. I haven't gotten it out on the trail since the install.
580450_10100227053819691_472327956_n.jpg

Greg

Last edited:

theilkjam

Hey all, just introducing myself here. I've recently re-joined the Jeep Community with my purchase of a 2013 JKU Rubicon in February. I was able to talk my wife into getting the Rubicon edition so that I "didn't have to do anything else to it". Well of course that didn't stick.

I took her and my oldest daughter out about 3 weeks after taking delivery and got stuck. The winch was an easy sale to my wife after spending about two hours hand cranking it out with a chain hoist. I found one on sale, in fact I think it was a pricing mistake, and modded my stock bumper and put it on. I've done little things like adding a DIY mesh grill, extending the axle breather hoses and putting clamps on at the axle, put a receiver hitch on, painted the muffler black, and recently put on a 3" Zone Offroad lift with nitro shocks, exhaust spacers, and 1.5" wheel spacers.

I've been out wheeling several times and have been amazed at what the Jeep will do basically stock. The lockers sure do come in handy, but I was banging up the undercarriage a bit, so I'm glad to have gotten the lift on. Bigger tires are planned down the road, but not now.

Heading out to Colorado the last week in August to hit some trails, so I'll probably be looking for advice from those of you that have been on where to head. Looking forward to getting to know you all a bit!

Here is a quick poser shot I took last week after installing the lift. I haven't gotten it out on the trail since the install.
View attachment 39002

Greg

I'm from Springfield IL and I can't seem to find anywhere to go wheeling. I'm only an hour away from STL so I would love any suggestions!

Outside of Springfield Missouri there is a great park called SMORR.

Agreed. I haven't been to Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch yet, but I've heard great things. Down south of Saint Louis, in Farmington, there is a park called Washita and it's some of the best trails I've ridden so far. Make it to the top and you are rewarded with this view:

968973_10100194389953341_194517678_n.jpg

You can also tool around in St. Joe State Park down in the same area, but it's mostly geared toward ATV's.

West of Saint Louis there is, as mentioned, SMORR. There's also Moonlight in Sullivan and Bison Ranch in Potosi. North of Saint Louis, near Troy is a place called Letz Go Nutz. I'm sure there are more, but that's most of what I've heard about thus far. We should ride together sometime soon - I'll let you know when I'm going out.

Unfortunately, Washita is closed. I wasn't sure when I posted that before. That picture was from our last trip out there which we made because we heard it was closing that week. Sounds like they went back and forth for a while, but the phone number is now disconnected so we're fearing the worst. It's possible that the new owners may allow trail rides in the future, but it's still uncertain at this point.

theilkjam

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to finding somewhere to get off road and that seemed like a great place. It sucks that they have closed.

Top Bottom