Front or rear lockers?

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
So heres the question... For those of you with front and rear lockers do you prefer to lock the front or the rear where both aren't needed? I have heard this argued both ways:

Front has more weight on the tires = better traction

Rear you can push more than you can pull ect..

Everyones opinion is welcome.

Last edited:

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
Well in my last jeep I only had rear lockers. I have F&R in my 2012, but mostly use my rear. That being said, Its nice to know its there. If I had to chose I would go with rear, but thats just my opinion.

Moochie

So heres the question... For those of you with front and rear lockers do you prefer to lock the front or the rear where both aren't needed? I have heard this argued both ways:

Front has more weight on the tired = better traction

Rear you can push more than you can pull ect..

Everyones opinion is welcome.

I always lock the rear first. Mainly because it is hard to steer with the front locked.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I could only have one locker, it would be the rear. When lockers are needed, I always run both as it'll help distribute the load and prevent breaks. When turning is needed, there really is nothing you can do other than turn off the front.

jkmohican

Also, when you disconnect up front, the front tires usually stay on the ground, causing the rear tires to usually be the ones subject to leaving the ground. The only times I've ever lost a tire (leave the ground) was in the rear, and the BLD got me traction again so when I get My lockers, I'll be sure that the rear is done, and hopefully the front.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Anyone ever have issues with the electronic lockers always taking a while to engage or disco? Seems like only a few times they go right in and out. Usually takes some back and forth to show them locked.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone ever have issues with the electronic lockers always taking a while to engage or disco? Seems like only a few times they go right in and out. Usually takes some back and forth to show them locked.

Almost everyone I know who's running bigger than stock tires. The factory lockers are weak and prone to breaking. If you don't have lockers already, I would recommend a set of ARB's.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Almost everyone I know who's running bigger than stock tires. The factory lockers are weak and prone to breaking. If you don't have lockers already, I would recommend a set of ARB's.

Yea I have the factory ones. Guess its only a matter of time until they go.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More mass takes more effort to turn them on the rocks. You put a lot more strain on the working components and then they start to fail.

B-rab

I plan on doing arb air lockers on my rear jku. Everyone says this is the way to go. Sorry to be a thread thief but does anyone know how bad the install is? My guy at 4 wheel told me it would be around 1600 installed..

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I plan on doing arb air lockers on my rear jku. Everyone says this is the way to go. Sorry to be a thread thief but does anyone know how bad the install is? My guy at 4 wheel told me it would be around 1600 installed..

How dare you steal this thread!!!! ;) Thats what these are for. Ask away!!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Does that include the locker itself? Seems a tad on the high side, but I guess if that includes running the air and electrical, it may be ok...still think it's a tad high.

1BAMFR

That's why I love my JKS Discos and my hammer!!!!!!!!

1BAMFR

I run E-Lockers...zero issues...I'm sure ARB are top shelf as well

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I run E-Lockers...zero issues...I'm sure ARB are top shelf as well

For most Jeepers, the ediscos work just fine. Most jeepers (and Im not saying most on this site, just most in general) only do mild offroading. For those like Eddie and Mel (people that crawl the most insane stuff imaginable) ARBs are the way to go. From what I understand about ARBs, you will break everything else the locker is connected to before you actually break an ARB locker.

TheStick

Another "hope not to hijack" question but.... ;)

I'm running the factory rubi e lockers and wondering....I've done a couple of trails now where there are sections that the lockers help with lesser sections in between. What puts less strain on the system, locking and unlocking for the tougher sections or just leaving it locked through the whole trail?

B-rab

Does that include the locker itself? Seems a tad on the high side, but I guess if that includes running the air and electrical, it may be ok...still think it's a tad high.

Yeah locker and all components besides gearing. I thought it was a bit high also.. How hard is the install? Is this something I could manage on my own?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE! B-l2ab!

Top Bottom