Gear ratio for 35s and 37s

mrmet1983

I have a 2013 JKU Rubi with 35s i currently have 373s and they suck to say the least with an auto tranny and lots of hills so i am regearing. My ? is what gears are you guys running , im planning on going to 37s in the future so im debating on 456 or 488. Having said that i do wheel pretty hard sometimes and it is my DD so i need good highway speeds without reving the shit out of my motor. So whos running these gears with 35s or 37s would love some feedback thanks guys

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to make sure, did you properly recalibrate your speedometer? I am running 37's now on my 2012 and with factory 4.10 gears and, while it's not optimal, it's not all that bad. You just need to make sure your speedo is on so that the shift points are on too. Otherwise, with 37's, I would prefer to run 5.13's.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just to make sure, did you properly recalibrate your speedometer? I am running 37's now on my 2012 and with factory 4.10 gears and, while it's not optimal, it's not all that bad. You just need to make sure your speedo is on so that the shift points are on too. Otherwise, with 37's, I would prefer to run 5.13's.

I said that in another thread and was told he has built other vehicles and needs a regear. But I am running the exact setup he has and agree with you Eddie.

mrmet1983

I have recalibrated my speedo. My elevation varies very much where I live and the 373s force me to downshift constantly even when on slight hills. Even on flat terrain if I'm below 2000 rpms my tranny has to downshift just to keep up the current speed. I can tell my tranny is shifting a lot more since going to 35s. I just want to regear once so when I get 37s ill be ok and it's the 3.6L with auto tranny.

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

Last edited:

mrmet1983

I said that in another thread and was told he has built other vehicles and needs a regear. But I am running the exact setup he has and agree with you Eddie.

Like I've said before I live around lots of hills and mountains and I do not like the set up with 373s if you like it that's great I'm just asking for opinions. Now I have recalibrated with the flashcal and while yes it did help a little I Still find my tranny shifting way to often. This is all personal preference so I'm just looking for your opinions. I know that not everyone likes the same gear set. I do not like the 373s with 35s and I know when I get 37s it will be even worse so I want to regear once. And need it to be good daily driver and offroad.

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

mrmet1983

Also I thought I read one of your posts that said 5.13s causes lots of strain on the pinion with a d44 or am I mistaken ? This is just not something I want to have to do more than once!! I will not be going bigger than 37s

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure you recalibrated your speedo correctly? You did make sure to measure from the ground to the edge of your tire's shoulder (point where the sidewall turns 90 deg to becomes the tread) as opposed to entering in what's written on the sidewall, right? Like I said, it isn't optimal but, it should have helped more than just a little.

Regarding 5.13's, they will leave you with a very small pinion ONLY in a Dana 30. On a Dana 44, a 5.38 will do the same.

mrmet1983

Are you sure you recalibrated your speedo correctly? You did make sure to measure from the ground to the edge of your tire's shoulder (point where the sidewall turns 90 deg to becomes the tread) as opposed to entering in what's written on the sidewall, right? Like I said, it isn't optimal but, it should have helped more than just a little.

Regarding 5.13's, they will leave you with a very small pinion ONLY in a Dana 30. On a Dana 44, a 5.38 will do the same.

Yea I'm my speedo is right i even drove next to my buddy with a car to double check. You don't think 5.13s will be a little much for a daily driver and I need it to be ok with 35s till the winter.

mrmet1983

Yea I'm my speedo is right i even drove next to my buddy with a car to double check. You don't think 5.13s will be a little much for a daily driver and I need it to be ok with 35s till the winter. The calibration did help it just still seems to be shifting and struggling to stay in gear. Either way I want to regear so it's done and out of the way for when I get 37s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea I'm my speedo is right i even drove next to my buddy with a car to double check. You don't think 5.13s will be a little much for a daily driver and I need it to be ok with 35s till the winter.

Not if you're planning on going 37's. With 35's, it'll be a bit high of a ratio but, not so much that you couldn't live with it until you got 37's.

mrmet1983

Not if you're planning on going 37's. With 35's, it'll be a bit high of a ratio but, not so much that you couldn't live with it until you got 37's.

Sweet!!! Thanks a lot . i was just looking for some opinions cause without asking here I probably would have went with 456 and not been happy with that decision. Lots of threads about this but I could only find answers for a manual or people who had the 3.8L

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that MTG is running 5.13's with 37's on his 2012. He drives up and down the Sierra's and has found this to help a lot.

mrmet1983

I believe that MTG is running 5.13's with 37's on his 2012. He drives up and down the Sierra's and has found this to help a lot.

That's exactly what I need I'm always up in the Catskill mountains and I assume he has an auto as well

mrmet1983

Really wish I got 410 from the factory ... Damn max tow package

Simmons

From the gearing chart I found the 5.13 will put it back to stock feeling. My buddy put 5.38 with 37" tires and loves it

Top Bottom