Doorless time and rainy day

Tranquillity

Hey guys, since a lot of you seems running your DD doorless I'd like to know how it is when it's raining ? Is there a lot of mist getting in? Is it fine with the radio and other electronic?

Thanks !

FrankenJeeper

I will usually run doorless unless its supposed to rain a few days in a row, that being said, there's been times when wind has blew rain in, times when rain has barely misted in, ive been soaked and my seats be water logged, and times when I've had to stop and rain-x the inside of the windshield lol. So far no issues with anything. I've heard several folks concerned with the steering wheel getting wet and the clock spring malfunctioning, so maybe a small garbage bag for the wheel would be good to keep in the glove box.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We've gotten drenched a few times up in the Sierra's where thunderstorms and hail can materialize what seems to be out of nowhere. With a bikini or safari top, the front passengers can do okay, the rear ones will get soaked. Without a top, if you drive fast enough, the same can be said only, the backside of your windshield will need to be wiped down periodically. Factory components like the radio will be fine but, I have fried a CB radio running like this before.

Tranquillity

Great thanks guys, I'm going for a 7 days streak doorless to put into my personal guiness record and wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to upgrade my radio. I guess I can do fine with soaked seat since they are leather. So unless it's a rainstorm I'm going to run with the top on. :rock:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Great thanks guys, I'm going for a 7 days streak doorless to put into my personal guiness record and wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to upgrade my radio. I guess I can do fine with soaked seat since they are leather. So unless it's a rainstorm I'm going to run with the top on. :rock:

I just put my doors and top back on after having them off for a month and a half.

mtnbiker995

As long as you drive over 40-45 then you'll stay dry topless in a steady rain. If its a downpour you might wanna go closer to 55-60+

*edit: what I consider staying dry might differ from someone else's opinion of staying dry haha

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

1yellowjk

I picked up a cheap 4x6 tarp at Harbor Freight and keep bungie cords in the jeep, it makes a nice emergency top for under $10 bucks and takes up little space.

pvanweelden

Done the tarp before ^ , you can also pick up the ball bungee straps like what come with the spidersunshade at walmart for about $4 for a 12 pack

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SPIELUHR

I just got caught in the rain the other day on the way home completely naked and like Eddie said if your cruising u don't have to worry to much until u stop :cheesy: after that day I put my freedom top on and got caught in another one last night don't really have to worry about it with the freedom top on except for when you turn. Some water gets on the door jams but that's about it o and sometimes it comes down the speaker bar to but my radio got soaked and I haven't had any issues yet with it. Just got to deal with the funny looks you will get

bl17z90

I check the weather channel app on my iphone constantly. I checked saturday and it said 0% until the next day where it would go up to 10% so i headed to the grocery store at around 9 pm (i love driving at night when the top and doors off, it i just a peacfull feeling) and when i walked out of the grocery store i threw my stuff in the back (had the top on just doors off) and headed on home well out of nowhere the sky opened up and it just started pouring and I realized the downside to my new tires sticking outside the fenders. My tires stick out far enough that they throw water at me when i turn :doh:

So to end this magnificent story, I got home got the doors on and the grocerys inside and checked the weather app. STILL SAID 0% WHAT THE F**K :mad:
But honestly, every time that happens i get mad at first and then i smile ear to ear for most of the drive home.

Kneece

Drove from Austin to Dallas yesterday with just the Freedom top over front seat. It rained pretty good for about 2 and half hours. Nothing but mist came in the sides from tire spray but all the water coming from front to back off the top got blown all over the inside of the windshield and dash. It was a relief from the 106 temps the day before.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373910263.010267.jpg

Sent by Pony Express

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I just got caught in the rain the other day on the way home completely naked and like Eddie said if your cruising u don't have to worry to much until u stop :cheesy: after that day I put my freedom top on and got caught in another one last night don't really have to worry about it with the freedom top on except for when you turn. Some water gets on the door jams but that's about it o and sometimes it comes down the speaker bar to but my radio got soaked and I haven't had any issues yet with it. Just got to deal with the funny looks you will get

Just don't run with your windshield strapped to the hood!
Topless.jpg

MrJ3sser

I check the weather channel app on my iphone constantly. I checked saturday and it said 0% until the next day where it would go up to 10% so i headed to the grocery store at around 9 pm (i love driving at night when the top and doors off, it i just a peacfull feeling) and when i walked out of the grocery store i threw my stuff in the back (had the top on just doors off) and headed on home well out of nowhere the sky opened up and it just started pouring and I realized the downside to my new tires sticking outside the fenders. My tires stick out far enough that they throw water at me when i turn :doh:

So to end this magnificent story, I got home got the doors on and the grocerys inside and checked the weather app. STILL SAID 0% WHAT THE F**K :mad:
But honestly, every time that happens i get mad at first and then i smile ear to ear for most of the drive home.

I learned to not trust the iPhone weather app. It's sucks. I can barely trust the local news. I've got caught three times this week. It's not the rain that bothers me though, it's the lightning. :grayno:

Tranquillity

So I got caught, doorless, in a pretty bad storm and it was less worse than I expected. Should have been a little more mature with the water hole, I drenched the passenger seat :thumb:

Fun fact, I stopped at the gas station, I saw the cashier giving me that funny look with all that rain and lightning that was going on.

So when I got inside, she was asking where I bought it, if a lot of water was getting inside and what I was doing with it when it was raining at night. So I wasn't sure where she was going with that until she told me that she never had seen a jeep doorless and was convinced that it was built like that... :doh:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I've been caught out in the rain more than a few times without doors or top. No issues with any stock electronics whatsoever. I just make sure I wipe everything down when I get home. It seems like its always freaking raining here! Life WAYALIFE said, you'll definitely want to carry a rag around with you to wipe the inside of the windshield. Having to use your sleeves and hat sucks!
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg

EDIT: I have since removed the carpet on the floors because that's a pain is the A$$ to dry ot all the time. As humid as it is here, when I put the doors back on and the carpet was wet, I would have my own damn rainstorm in the Jeep. Condensation dripping from the roof, dash, windows, everywhere! Wont do that again!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom