Wheel bearing?Carrier bearing?......Eddie?

bob-o12jk

Banned
Alright Eddie, hope u can help me on another problem. I have a '12jkur got it apr 28th 2012, just hit 29k miles on friday. 2.5"rk lift, 37" bfg km2's on stock wheels with 1.5" spidertrax spacers.
On Saturday I just replaced my blown out ball joints and had to replace the passenger front unit bearing cuz it had play in it. Drove it yesterday about 60miles and it drove awesome, when I got home I noticed my driver rear tire was starting to "cup". So then I jacked it up and noticed some play in the wheel when pushing at the 12o'clock position.
Is this another bad wheel/axle bearing or possibly a carrier bearing? My carrier was also replaced during the first week of January this year due to my locker taking a crap. Is there any tips on what to check for before I remove the axle shaft?
Thank you!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, wheels with less back spacing will cause wheel bearings to wear out sooner than later so it is possible. I don't know if I would be too concerned with it unless it's effecting your handling. Just rotate your tires on a regular basis and it'll help distribute the wear. Carrier bearings will not cause this.

Here's a write-up that will help you out with pulling the axle shafts.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3337-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-Axle-Shaft-Removal-amp-Replacement

bob-o12jk

Banned
Hey Eddie, I appreciate it. Im just frustrated a little cuz I already replaced ball joints, front axle shafts and a unit bearing. Now im having problems with the rear wheels. My front tires are cupped a little and I just rotated them 2 weeks ago and now the rear ia cupping.
What's the worst thing that could happen if I keep driving on the bad rear wheel bearing or should I just replace it with a new timken bearing this weekend. Going on a big bear trip in 2weeks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie, I appreciate it. Im just frustrated a little cuz I already replaced ball joints, front axle shafts and a unit bearing. Now im having problems with the rear wheels. My front tires are cupped a little and I just rotated them 2 weeks ago and now the rear ia cupping.
What's the worst thing that could happen if I keep driving on the bad rear wheel bearing or should I just replace it with a new timken bearing this weekend. Going on a big bear trip in 2weeks

Cupping on rear tires is not common, more than likely, they were cupping on your front tires and are only now becoming visible due to your recent tire rotation. If your wheel bearing on the rear axle were in fact going bad, you would most likely hear and see it in the form of a leak. If it were me, I wouldn't give it too much thought. Get out and wheel your Jeep :yup:

bob-o12jk

Banned
OK thanks Eddie but what about when I push the tire with it off the the ground at the 12o'clock position and the wheel having some play and it makes some clunking sounds while im doing it. :thinking:

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
OK thanks Eddie but what about when I push the tire with it off the the ground at the 12o'clock position and the wheel having some play and it makes some clunking sounds while im doing it. :thinking:

This is normal in the rear. As Eddie said if they were going bad you' d most likely hear them and or have a leaky seal.

Top Bottom