Trek top fail:(

TrailBear

So two months ago I got my trek top, and installed it a week or two later, three weeks later the plastic part of the header brakes. Called bestop, they said no problem what's your address we will send you a new top ASAP. Put the new top on on Saturday, went out tonight to close it up, the new one is broken in the exact same spot. I left both tops in the sun for most the day before install, laid out flat, never had to force it closed. Has anyone else had this happen? It's at the clamp on the passenger side. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373427138.342573.jpg
Going to calling them again soon, they have been great so far, but I can't be doing this once a week for the whole summer.

Ldogg

Hmmm weird, I didn't have any issue with mine, and it only sat out for a hour on the original install. What hole did you put the spring into?

BONDSY

Mine did the same thing. It was replaced under warranty from 4wp. The second one looks stressed in the same area but no cracks. I think the spring at the rear of the cable is a little to stiff.

liljohn850

I'm about to order a trektop. What's the part number of the whole thing, so I can price on amazon. I've seen a few different part numbers and such. One is just the replacement top. :/ I'm hoping to have to have no issues with it, the hard top is pending sell so hopefully I don't regret it!

TrailBear

Mine did the same thing. It was replaced under warranty from 4wp. The second one looks stressed in the same area but no cracks. I think the spring at the rear of the cable is a little to stiff.

You think it's the spring? I was thinking it might be the windshield seal being a bit thicker on the one side maybe?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, never had that happen to either of mine. I would definitely contact Bestop and get a replacement.

TheDuff

If they are not asking for the broken ones to be returned, maybe u could fix and strength the area with some plastic weld and jbweld:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
no issues at all here either, but ill have to keep an eye on it for sure. Good to hear they have good customer service when it comes to issues/breaks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think part of the problem is that the JK have a windshield that can fold down and the tolerances for what is considered it's up right position can vary. This is one of the reasons why some people have leaky factory tops regardless if they have a hard or factory soft top. If the top sits too far out, it would put a lot of stress on the top/header. Of course, this is just a best guess.

TrailBear

I think part of the problem is that the JK have a windshield that can fold down and the tolerances for what is considered it's up right position can vary. This is one of the reasons why some people have leaky factory tops regardless if they have a hard or factory soft top. If the top sits too far out, it would put a lot of stress on the top/header. Of course, this is just a best guess.

I think you hit the nail on the head, this is my first soft top so I didn't know just how it should sit, but It does seem to sit a little to far back to me. Maybe I can loosen the windshield bolts and see if it'll move back a bit. Bestops customer service has been very good, and I do have the old top.

MAMUT

Try going with the original trektop design, it uses a metal header, it might help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think you hit the nail on the head, this is my first soft top so I didn't know just how it should sit, but It does seem to sit a little to far back to me. Maybe I can loosen the windshield bolts and see if it'll move back a bit. Bestops customer service has been very good, and I do have the old top.

I would definitely give that a try. Take some measurement first though - from the footman loops to the roll bar. This is a step you need to do when installing some sport cages as the windshield can vary in its final position and measurably so.

BONDSY

I would agree with Eddie also. I installed a sport cage, I may not have gotten the windshield back to exactly it's prior spot. Although I recently put on a factory soft top and noticed its a bit more reinforced.

TrailBear

Ok I measured it last night there is a 3/8" difference from the drivers side to the passengers side, so I will see what I can do to fix this.

bl17z90

I know someone who says their rear window falls off of their 2 door trextop. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ok I measured it last night there is a 3/8" difference from the drivers side to the passengers side, so I will see what I can do to fix this.

Not sure if there is a way to adjust. I watched video about installing an OR Fab sport cage and the guy used a ratchet strap to get his windshield back into the orginal position. Might try loosening the winshield hinge cover bolts and see about pulling it in tighter. just do not put too much stress on the frame so you do not crack the windshield or bend the the frame.

TrailBear

I checked and the lower windshield bracket there is only a 1/8" difference so I may be able to loosen the bolts and apply some persuasion to get it in the right place. One of the other reasons I think this is an issue is that my hard top leaks periodically and my seals all look like new.

Top Bottom