Disable airbags?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Does anyone disable their airbags some how to avoid a hard impact from setting them off??

Could you explain what situation you speak of? I can't think of a reason I would want to disable them unless I've for my boy in the front seat.

jkmohican

Yeah I don't get why you would want to disable it either. I've hit some trees and rocks on the trail hard enough, and never worried about the airbag deploying. If you hit something hard enough for the airbag to deploy, you probably broke a good amount of other stuff too.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Yea those are all good points. I guess i'm not really sure exactly how much force it even takes to deploy one. And I believe that the sensors for them are actually toward the middle of the jeep??

YKPizzaGuy

Don't quote me but I think most if not all air bags deploy when there is a sudden increase in G force like from a sudden stop. Not from an impact like we see in movies.

jkmohican

Don't quote me but I think most if not all air bags deploy when there is a sudden increase in G force like from a sudden stop. Not from an impact like we see in movies.

I heard this, but I think what the case is that when there is a sudden change in velocity, that's when their deployed. There's velocity measurement tools (I'm sure there's a big name for these) in the jeep that go off when the velocity suddenly changes.

mtnbiker995

There's also 2 crush sensors (when they get crushed, the airbags deploy) just to the inside of each headlight. They're yellow I believe. But you have to hit something just right for a deploy...I totaled my jeep and they didn't go off
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373645127.949504.jpg

You can see the little yellow plug and little crush sensor dangling sort of by my driver side knuckle.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373645209.440529.jpg

All fixed up now though!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom