Best spare parts to bring on a trail ride

mackey

Ok, so I am somewhat of a beginner to this and constantly hear about people breaking down on the trail. Are there any ***MUST HAVE*** spare parts or tools that you should have on a weekend off-roading trip, like while doing the Rubicon Trail? Thanks in advance

Indefatigable

Another complete vehicle. Don't go alone!

Depends on the condition of your vehicle going in!

Spares such as u-joints, drive and axle shafts, TIRE! Tools to change all of these.

U-joint yoke straps/u-bolts

Valve stems and cores. plug kit, gloves

Know your vehicle and its weak points.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
agreed. so long as you maintain your jeep and keep it in good condition, you don't really need to take any spare parts. carry tools for sure and a means to get you off the trail but, that's about all you really need.

As far as ***MUST HAVE*** spare parts, I don't think there are any in order to get off the trail, but if you are looking for the luxury and convenience of being able to repair your rig on a remote trail and keep wheeling, then I might have a few suggestions only based on what I've already broken on the trail: axle shaft u-joints, drive-shaft u-joints, ball joints, tie rod ends, and a rear axle shaft. Other than that, it is up to you, but as mentioned above, I suggest you have the proper tools and knowledge required to repair, or at least temporarily-fix your rig to get you off the trail.

MTG

Caught the Bug
ChrisB said:
I always bring a good friend that knows more, and always has a jeep full of tools :D:thumb:

Agreed. Too bad I can't bring WOL each time I go out. :cheesy: Sharkey is a pretty good surrogate though.

StrizzyChris

a fresh pair off Underoos for those extreme off-camber moments!

superman-briefs.jpg

bl17z90

When my first extreme off camber moment came I didn't even realize it until i stopped and went to hop out to go spot watch someone come up the hill. Needless to say when i got out it was about a 3 foot drop. The best part I'm sure was watching me try to get myself back in:doh:

Metalmasher

mackey said:
Ok, so I am somewhat of a beginner to this and constantly hear about people breaking down on the trail. Are there any ***MUST HAVE*** spare parts or tools that you should have on a weekend off-roading trip, like while doing the Rubicon Trail? Thanks in advance

An extra shot glass

JAGS

Hooked
The "carnage" thread going right now got me searching. This thread touched on it, but not directly. I'm a noob :crazyeyes:, so forgive if this makes no sense. But, as you are doing upgrades to various parts (DS, Axles, Gears, the like) is there any purpose to carry the stock parts as spares for extreme trail fixes? Yes, the stock wouldn't hold up for more crawling, but maybe to get you out of a bind or off the trail.

Maybe that's a stupid question. :idontknow: I ask as I'm saving for my build and was planning to sell a lot of the old stuff, but seeing the carnage thread, had me thinking maybe I use the pieces as spares?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Driveshaft could be useful as might hold out a little bit, gears not so much as you probably aren't going to swap gears on the trail as most people don't even know how in a garage, and for an axle, your probably not going to carry around an axle with your but an axle shaft might be helpful. That's my opinion.

JAGS

Hooked
Driveshaft could be useful as might hold out a little bit, gears not so much as you probably aren't going to swap gears on the trail as most people don't even know how in a garage, and for an axle, your probably not going to carry around an axle with your but an axle shaft might be helpful. That's my opinion.

Thanks.

:cheesy: Yep, a whole axle aint gonna be in the back. Axle shaft is what I meant.

Top Bottom