Installing JKUR springs and shocks on a 2 door X

MTG

Caught the Bug
I am going to help a friend install some JKUR springs and rubicon shocks on his two door X. I understand that he should get around a 1 1/2" lift from doing this.

I am by no means a mechanic but, with Sharkey's help, we were able to install the EVO Enforcer kit on my jeep. But those had directions that we could follo...and I like to have direction. :cheesy:

I assume we can follow the same basic steps (e.g. lift the jeep, brace the frame, remove wheels, remove shocks, drop the axles, install new springs etc.), but what else will we need to do? Will there be a need for any other parts if we do this (e.g. will he be able to reuse the stock swaybar end links)?

Thanks!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
MTG - We are probably going to want to disconnect the brake frame brackets and the e-brake bracket. I would think there is plenty of slack for the brackets to be mounted back up when the install is complete, but to drop the axles low enough to pull the factory springs and put in the Rubi springs it should make our lives easier.

If you still have your take off front sway bar links we could certainly swap those in the front of the 2 door X. I don't think the rear will need new links, but I could be wrong.

MTG

Caught the Bug
MTG - We are probably going to want to disconnect the brake frame brackets and the e-brake bracket. I would think there is plenty of slack for the brackets to be mounted back up when the install is complete, but to drop the axles low enough to pull the factory springs and put in the Rubi springs it should make our lives easier.

Good idea. At least they should be a lot easier than mine were!

If you still have your take off front sway bar links we could certainly swap those in the front of the 2 door X. I don't think the rear will need new links, but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure I have them.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Follow up question

He is going to order new wheels and tires too. Can he fit 33" or should he stick to 32"? Backspacing 4.5 or less correct?

Thanks!

ichthus

He should be Able to fit 33's.

Regarding the swaybar links: easy to find a set of rear links that will work up front, but quick discos are the best long-term option.

This entire lift took me about 2 hours and it was the first time I'd turned a wrench for any kind of modification. I did end up developing death wobble about a year later, but cured that with a JK'S adjustable track bar and Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer.

Also, make sure he gets the Jeep aligned (probably can be done w/new tire install)

07rub

Hey mtg

when i got my rubi i did instaled 33" but they rubbed on my sway bar so u might need spacers after

MTG

Caught the Bug
ichthus said:
He should be Able to fit 33's.

Regarding the swaybar links: easy to find a set of rear links that will work up front, but quick discos are the best long-term option.

This entire lift took me about 2 hours and it was the first time I'd turned a wrench for any kind of modification. I did end up developing death wobble about a year later, but cured that with a JK'S adjustable track bar and Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer.

Also, make sure he gets the Jeep aligned (probably can be done w/new tire install)

Thanks. I think they'll fit too. Maybe some rubbing at full flex. Bigger problem will likely be his 3.21 gearing.

MTG

Caught the Bug
07rub said:
Hey mtg

when i got my rubi i did instaled 33" but they rubbed on my sway bar so u might need spacers after

Thanks. Was this with stock wheels?

What gears did you have? Auto or stick?

07rub

IM running the stock 4.10 and its auto, and the stock rubi wheels and i installed 1.5" spacers, but by doing that i started to rub on my front bumper when in flex and the rear fenders, so thats why i installed the aev spacer kit

ichthus

07 Rubi wasn't lifted when he was getting contact, just running stock suspension.

If u are worried about rubbing at full flex, new bumpstops or extensions could solve that...

MTG

Caught the Bug
Along with Sharkey we just finished installing the rubi springs and shocks on a friend's jk. He ended up getting 1 1/2" lift out of it (rear bumper, forgot to measure the front). Looks good! Nice little boost for very little money.

While it wasn't our jeeps we were working on, we had a good time doing some work and gaining some more experience. Wrenching on the jeep is good for the soul.

Top Bottom