Tire carrier help?

J-roc

Ok so I could use a little help if possible I have a 2013 jeep jk and I recently installed a set of 35" nitto trail grapplers on xd wheels with 4.5 back spacing I was told I could mount this on my stock carrier for now until I can get a aftermarket one. So I purchased the daystar bump stops for the rear tail gate but when I mount the tire it's hitting the bumper and I have to slam the tail gate to close tight is there something else I'm missing ? I was told there's some ppl that are running the same tire on stock mount with no issue and I'm just worried about it coming off. can I leave it like this? Should I leave it like this till new tire carrier comes ? I don't want to have it come off and hurt someone or cause an accident can I leave like this? Anyone running this same set up? And if so what have u done and do u have the same issue? If anyone could plz help I really don't want to have the stock tire on the back while running on my new big beautiful 35's lol open to opinion s and help and or eduction on this thank you

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You need the adaptor to run it with the stock bumper. The adaptor will move the tire up a little bit so it won't hit the bumper. You could take your bumper off but I would not slam the tailgate closed. It's not good for it if its hitting the bumper.

OJK12

It's a tire carrier adaptor. You can get one from just about anyone, rough country, zone, MBRP. They all make one and they are reasonably priced. Just know that the even with this setup the stock carrier is not made to handle that big a tire. They work and people do it but its not really ment to just wanted you to know that's all. I believe xtreame terrain usually keeps them in stock as I'm sure other places do.

mrmet1983

I grabbed the smittybilt oversized tire carrier will let u know what I think

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so I could use a little help if possible I have a 2013 jeep jk and I recently installed a set of 35" nitto trail grapplers on xd wheels with 4.5 back spacing I was told I could mount this on my stock carrier for now until I can get a aftermarket one. So I purchased the daystar bump stops for the rear tail gate but when I mount the tire it's hitting the bumper and I have to slam the tail gate to close tight is there something else I'm missing ? I was told there's some ppl that are running the same tire on stock mount with no issue and I'm just worried about it coming off. can I leave it like this? Should I leave it like this till new tire carrier comes ? I don't want to have it come off and hurt someone or cause an accident can I leave like this? Anyone running this same set up? And if so what have u done and do u have the same issue? If anyone could plz help I really don't want to have the stock tire on the back while running on my new big beautiful 35's lol open to opinion s and help and or eduction on this thank you

If anything, having the spare sit on your bumper will help secure it a lot better and it will prevent it from coming off and hurting someone. It is annoying though and you can fix this with brackets like the one shown or, with a 1" or 1.5" wheel spacer. Just remember, if you go this route, you need to make sure to install isolator extensions to prevent jiggling of the spare. That will cause damage to your tire carrier and cause a break.

Devallee

As wayoflife said, the tire sitting on the bumper is actually better. I have the smittybilt oversized tire carrier with a 35 and purposely set it to carry a 33 so it rests on the bumper a little. Yeah it's annoying when opening and closing the tailgate I kinda have to lift the tire a little, but I've been running this setup for a couple years now with no issues yet :thumb: although I'm starting to hear some odd squeaks so I'm thinking my luck might be running out 😔

J-roc

Ok thanks but my tires not so much sitting on top of the bumper as it feel like its hitting the side wall of it ever so little that's way I have to push it hard to close and when I open the tail gate it kicks out when opening and I go to close it and it won't unless I use some force that's what has me worried

mrmet1983

Just installed my smittybilt tire carrier and it is much stronger then I thought it wud be. My 35 should be fine now.

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

liljohn850

I have 35's on stock wheels with no adapter, I just took the rear bupmer off and my spare is at about 18 PSI. stand by for pic

Top Bottom