Greetings from Vancouver, Canada

HeyOK

Hi! My name is Al.

I discovered this forum while searching for information on things it would be good to know about a Rubicon. I don't own one yet, but am looking at a 4 door 2008 model. Maybe this weekend I will end up buying it. This will be my first Jeep. Switching over from a Ford Explorer that has hauled myself, my girlfriend and my three children around. Two of the kids are grown and moved out so I don't need as much room. Considered a two door but I don't think I could do it :grayno: I like a bit of space.

Anyway, you guys seem like a good bunch and there is a lot of great info here!

Cheers,
Al

Webe

Welcome! :standing wave: I have a 4 dr and love it. It's alot better handling & smoother ride then the 2dr. Rubi is an excellent choice to for a solid turn key 4x.

HeyOK

Thank you for the welcome!

This probably isn't the place to ask this question, but I will give it a shot...
Before I take delivery of the Rubicon, I want to get a 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires, and a set of rock sliders. This is going to add up to a fair bit of ca$h. I know I really want to go wheeling, but I'm wondering if maybe I should go for 33 inch tires instead, this way I can get a smaller lift (or no lift at all), and it will be better for a daily driver. I guess I am looking for someone to say "go for the 35's and the lift, you won't regret it because ...."

Can anyone give me some encouragement here?

GCM 2

Welcome!

Nice to have you here on the forum. You can save a whole bunch of cash and not even get a lift, 35"s will fit with a stock suspension. All you really need to do is maybe trim the stock flares and you are good to go. If want the front end to sit level with the rear, simply add Daystar spacers to the front coils :thumb:

HeyOK

Nice to have you here on the forum. You can save a whole bunch of cash and not even get a lift, 35"s will fit with a stock suspension. All you really need to do is may trim the stock flares and you are good to go. If want the front end to sit level with the rear, simply add Daystar spacers to the front coils :thumb:

Thank you, that's good to know.

Looking at the specs on your rig, you are running 40's. Can you drive it on the highway or is it a handful?

GCM 2

Thank you, that's good to know.

Looking at the specs on your rig, you are running 40's. Can you drive it on the highway or is it a handful?

I have got 40,000+ miles of driving on this set up, in fact I practically drove it to Canada on last years JK Experience (ok, just Drummond island Michigan, but my cell phone had a Canadian signal ;) ). Most of the rigs on this forum with almost the exact same set up, are daily drivers too. The build up has to be done correctly though, or it will be completely unreliable. My jeep is actually just as easy to drive as a completely stock jeep, just loss of turning radius and that's it do to the wider axles and tire size.

Take your time with your build, make smart choices and do lots of research on how you want to achieve your goals. Remember the budget will always dictate everything. :thumb:

TrailBear

Welcome to the site, I'm over on Vancouver Island. I agree with GCM2, no need to go with a lift that big. I have a '12 JKU, I'm running 35's with just a teraflex levelling kit, just had to trim the fender flares a bit, if you want to lift then no more then 2.5" and you can go without any flare trimming.

HeyOK

Welcome to the site, I'm over on Vancouver Island. I agree with GCM2, no need to go with a lift that big. I have a '12 JKU, I'm running 35's with just a teraflex levelling kit, just had to trim the fender flares a bit, if you want to lift then no more then 2.5" and you can go without any flare trimming.

Appreciate everyone's replies.
Do you get any rubbing when flexed?

Here it is!
Just picked it up about an hour ago.

My trade in is the white Explorer just behind it.

TrailBear

Appreciate everyone's replies.
Do you get any rubbing when flexed?

Here it is!
Just picked it up about an hour ago.

My trade in is the white Explorer just behind it.

I still get a little rubbing when the front is flexed out, I keep my sway bar connected still. I have not trimmed the front fenders at all, there is a write up on here on how to trim them. Nice new ride you have:)
Here's a pic of mine flexed
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373758061.973255.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAYALIFE!! I agree with GCM 2, trim up the fenders, spacers, 35s and enjoy! That's what we plan on doing when we get my wife a JKUR. I wouldn't go with 33s, just because of the marginal difference between 33s and the stock 32s on the Rubi. Good luck, hope it all works out for you!!

Top Bottom