Uconnect in 2008 JKUR

Sharkey

Word Ninja
When I was working on Meanst's Jeep I noticed that his factory stereo (non-nav unit) has buttons for what appears to be unconnect. Does anyone know if that year of non-nav unit can be made to work with bluetooth?

On my '09 Nav unit, I just purchased a mic harness from Mopar and plugged it into the back. Handsfree calling worked like a charm. I'm hoping to do the same for Meanst but thought I would see if anyone knows if it can be done.

Thanks! :beer:

My 11 JKUS has a similar button so I asked my service rep. For a mear $600 you can have the module installed. It requires complete removal of the dash. I opted for just using my blue tooth. Might eventually upgrade to a better aftermarket stereo down the road.

Chapco

Mine 07 is non nav with unconnect. Works great with iPhone and Galaxy S4 with Bluetooth.
If the button doesn't work than its probably just the base head unit, but might also not be enabled. Mine would just announce Unconnect. Connect to your device.. I found a disc in my owners bag and plugged that in. Setup was fairly easy and thinking I may notof needed the disc.

Any mic installed on the driver side pillar?

When I was working on Meanst's Jeep I noticed that his factory stereo (non-nav unit) has buttons for what appears to be unconnect. Does anyone know if that year of non-nav unit can be made to work with bluetooth?

On my '09 Nav unit, I just purchased a mic harness from Mopar and plugged it into the back. Handsfree calling worked like a charm. I'm hoping to do the same for Meanst but thought I would see if anyone knows if it can be done.

Thanks! :beer:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
No mic. But there wasn't on my 09 either and that worked once I plugged in a mic. Just wondering if I can do the same with an 08.

TeamFaust

Thanks!

Revisiting an old thread but I have a similar situation that hasn't gone as smoothly as yours did in your '09. I couldn't find any follow-up if Meanst got his working or not so I started a new thread:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...)-headunit-MyGig&highlight=uconnect+bluetooth

However any insights you may have/discovered would be helpful. :thumb:

I added the mic/harness kit from Mopar and still doesn't work. I was able to access the Engineering Mode on the head unit to try to activate but not listed on the menu.

Last edited:
I know with my 2011 there is a module that needs to be installed to get the uconnect to work. This module as quoted by the dealership is about $600 and that does not include labor to install.

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

TeamFaust

I know with my 2011 there is a module that needs to be installed to get the uconnect to work. This module as quoted by the dealership is about $600 and that does not include labor to install.

Sent from my fRuit product using WAL

Wow. I hope that is not the case with this unit. Was yours the RER model (designation on lower right corner of head unit front, below and outside AUX jack)? I wonder what you need to do to tell if a unit has/needs that module or not?
If mine needs the module I'll be going a different route :doh:

Just thinking maybe a firmware update...will have to check which version my RER unit has [looks like it has 9.556 and as I recall I need at least 9.7 or 9.807]...does anyone know if there a safe way to update unit firmware w/o going to the dealership?

Last edited:

JKbrick

These were in a thread once, not sure what they are for, I never got a chance to look into it. It would be nice to have but not $600 nice
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391474808.447363.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391474851.148641.jpg

TeamFaust

The Mopar mic/harness kit for the RER (part # 82211743AB) includes the connector "harness" to plug into the back of the unit and the microphone which plugs into that after you run it to the desired location (along with the install instructions on the CD and a few zip ties), like the second pic JKBrick posted. The "instructions sheet" are of course only for running the wires and plugging in, no mention of firmware version required/how to activate.

Mopar part 82211743AB mic and harness kit small.jpg

Pretty simple to install took all of about 30 minutes. The tricky part is activating so it will work. My unit is not showing the "Enable JK VM/HFM" option on the Engineering Mode menu list. I'm thinking that I need to have the dealership flash the computer to add the feature to my vehicle (why wasn't in there in the first place) and update the unit firmware.

stopped by the closest dealership yesterday afternoon and they said that they'd have to "hook it up to the computer" to flash the system and want $85 (the discounted rate) to do it. UGH! Going to talk with the guys at another dealership to see if they'll make me a better offer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom