How to deal with a poor install / purchase

xflstl

I don't want to put out to many details at this point and stir the pot. I am just curious if anyone has any great in-site into dealing with a shop/installer that basically fell way short of promise and even lied and or misrepresent products purchased thru them that they installed?

I am at a point where I have talked to and emailed with my complaints and problems with the install / purchase never being rude or hostile. The shop I am dealing with at this point seems to be just ignoring me, after 1st having flippantly blowing off my concerns.

well, first thing I would do would be to give them a "chance" to remedy the situation to your liking. if that fails, then I would call and call and call and show up and call and show up and show up.........until the situation is remedied!

andrew-

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hope you don't take offense to this but I would wait it out as you jumped too soon with the EVO shipping and it ended up not being them.

But having said that this isn't the first issue you have had with said shop so I would be a little upset too. Good luck with the situation though!

xflstl

Hope you don't take offense to this but I would wait it out as you jumped too soon with the EVO shipping and it ended up not being them.

But having said that this isn't the first issue you have had with said shop so I would be a little upset too. Good luck with the situation though!

No offense taken, the previous post you were talking about I was mis-lead by one party. Thankfully evo stepped forward and clarified the entire thing.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
First, sorry man. Nothing sucks more than entrusting your rig and money with someone only to find out that you have been bent over.

I would start by sending them a certified letter, return receipt requested, setting forth your concerns in a non-emotional, factually driven way. Demand a written response. If they don't respond, then your only real choice is to take it to the next level. If you go that route, make sure you get an attorney you trust.

xflstl

First, sorry man. Nothing sucks more than entrusting your rig and money with someone only to find out that you have been bent over.

I would start by sending them a certified letter, return receipt requested, setting forth your concerns in a non-emotional, factually driven way. Demand a written response. If they don't respond, then your only real choice is to take it to the next level. If you go that route, make sure you get an attorney you trust.

I am giving them until mid to late next week to reply to me, then I will be making a visit to there office. If that goes no where which at this point I am assuming it will, I will go the Attorney route, or at least get a consult to see what options I have.

suicideking

If they're local, I would at least stop by and talk to them. A lot of people don't get around to checking email much. Have you at least tried calling them?

What exactly did they do wrong and lie about?

Definintely give them a chance to make it right if possible. Once you even mention 'attorney' they're not going to talk to you anymore.

Last edited:

xflstl

If they're local, I would at least stop by and talk to them. A lot of people don't get around to checking email much. Have you at least tried calling them?

What exactly did they do wrong and lie about?

Definintely give them a chance to make it right if possible. Once you even mention 'attorney' they're not going to talk to you anymore.

Yes, I don't plan on doing anything other than talk to the installer at this point via, e-mail, phone and in person. I just know that being a consumer in a situation like this it can be tricky to impossible to get thing's resolved correctly. So at this point I was just looking for idea's, to see if someone had something I had not thought of or already done.

Well the lie part of this is, the installer was telling me that two product vendor's were being slow on production and delivery of products that had been ordered for me, when at the time several of the parts they were claiming were being delayed had not yet even been ordered. I found this out directly from the producers of said parts at a later time.

So when a install shop tells you say on 5/1/13 "No the part isn't here yet but I talked to Company "A" yesterday and the part should ship by the end of the week". You later find out from Company "A" that the part was not ordered until 5/7/13. To me that is just flat out poor customer respect and bald face lying.

Now as far as what was done wrong other than lying? I was lead to think I was getting a certain part that cost a certain amount, I paid that amount which was the correct amount for the part I was lead to believe I would get. I found out later (1st time on the trail) that I got an inferior part that I had paid top dollar for. The part that was actually installed in my Jeep is roughly 1500.00 less of a retail cost than what I paid for. Not to mention it was only barely better than what it replace, and far to inferior to hold up to the level of the build on my jeep.

suicideking

Yeah, I'd demand a full refund and accept nothing less. Hopefully you can prove all of these allegations (service order listing incorrect parts, etc). Doesn't sound like you need an attorney -- Small claims is now $5000 in CA (last time I checked anyway). Check what your state allows for the maximum.

This is why I would always recommend paying with a credit card if your not 100% sure of the persons reputations. Then you can dispute it no questions asked.

What part did you order and what did you get that was similar to OEM? That's a huge deal, fraud, etc. I would LIVID.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah, I'd demand a full refund and accept nothing less. Hopefully you can prove all of these allegations (service order listing incorrect parts, etc). Doesn't sound like you need an attorney -- Small claims is now $5000 in CA (last time I checked anyway). Check what your state allows for the maximum.

This is why I would always recommend paying with a credit card if your not 100% sure of the persons reputations. Then you can dispute it no questions asked.

What part did you order and what did you get that was similar to OEM? That's a huge deal, fraud, etc. I would LIVID.

That's a little much. He had over 20k of parts alone.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah, that's a different story then. It's hard to comment since the whole issue is very vague. If the parts and prices + labor are posted, it would make more sense... :thinking:

They charged him for one thing, gave him the reach around while waiting for parts, they installed something other then what he was charged for.

Pieces, parts, price doesn't really matter. :idon'tknow:

suicideking

They charged him for one thing, gave him the reach around while waiting for parts, they installed something other then what he was charged for.

Pieces, parts, price doesn't really matter. :idon'tknow:

He posted above about a $1500 part which is why I mentioned small claims. There was not mention of $20K. If it's that much, yeah, going to need an attorney. Then he will need solid evidence instead of the vague info missing here.

I'll hold off on further comments until details are posted. When it's all said and done, I'm sure many in his area would like to know what shop to avoid.

Atch

The $1500 was the difference in price. He paid for one part that cost x amount but installed a part that retails for over $1500 less than what he paid. (I know the whole story) He was screwed bad by a very reputable offroad company.

Top Bottom