Tire weight vs.Tire size for gears.

Rubiwho

Ok, I know I need to re-gear, but budget allows only a few things at a time. I have a 3.6l Unlimited Rubicon. All bumpers and sliders attached. So there is already a good bit of extra weight.

I want to add Hutchinson Rock Monsters and a 37" tires. Is the extra weight of the heavier wheel taken in to consideration for new gears. Or is it just tire size? What if I run this setup on my 4.10s and go easy, or not even wheel, can I still do damage?

joelbarras20

From what I understand the plays a little part on gears but not as much as the size the big problem with the wieght is the axels them selves.

Rubiwho

From what I understand the plays a little part on gears but not as much as the size the big problem with the wieght is the axels them selves.

But with the weight of the tire and wheel "around" the axle and not actually "on it". Does this change anything as long as the wheel is balanced.

Atch

You're fine to run as is. Doing gears will help recover the lost power and mpg's. you will want c-gussets at the very least.

There will always be the chance of doing damage regardless how well something is built up.

Rubiwho

Thanks, I may end up going 35's again so I don't have to re-gear, but I always said last time I wish I had 37's... Price tag goes up with everything once you put on 37's +....

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I just put on a lift and 37s and had 4.10s for a little while. The main issue I had with the 4.10 was I felt like I had no power. It wasn't horrible and if I had to I could have lived with it for a while. I didn't get the opportunity to do much off-roading with the 4.10s and 37s but the little I did in 4 low seemed ok.

The primary thing with gearing is raising your RPM to deal with the larger diameter tire. I am no engineer but I don't think the weight difference between 35s and 37s plays as much of a role (if any) as does the overall diameter. That info is only based off the threads I've read on this forum but you can search and find plenty of info about tire weight vs. diameter and the related gears.

Top Bottom