Why disable ESC?

I am not new to off-roading... I've gone through ATV, buggy, and even a K5 Blazer phase. I am fairly new to the JK and the Jeep "Wayalife". I have a 13' JKUR. I've been out with my local club about a dozen times. The terrain has been woods/creek beds with some mud. I have done some mods but for the most I am stock, especially where the susp & tires are concerned.

My question isn't how to fully-disable the ESC, I've read planty of threads on that... but rather why would I? Each time I have been out I have done everything I wanted to with the default modes. (What-ever level of "Off" the Jeep is in when in 4-Lo.) Some of the hills I have done were quite greasy, and I needed a fair amount of speed and wheel-speed to get up. I often need a bunch anyway to bounce over top, (Most of the club has 2-doors so I high-center a fair amount). Thank goodness for the Skids (first mod).

So... why would I want to fully disable ESC? Seems to do fine with the default settings. :thinking:

mtnbiker995

4lo basically fully disables it; most of the threads on disabling it probably had to do with 2hi and 4hi

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That kinda makes since to me... I turned it off once in 2-Hi to have fun in some snow. It also almost got me stuck when going through a long muddy trail where I started to loose grip from tire build-up (4-Hi). It didn't like me nailing the gas to clean the tires and promptly shut me down. It just seemed that many wanted to turn it off for other situations and I didn't know what I was missing.

Thanks

jhires

Spinning the tires in mud would be one place. This allows the tires to clean themselves out and get more traction back in the mud. It also helps maintain momentum.

Being able to shut off the ABS would be nice in sand where sometimes you need to jam on the brakes to keep from digging in too deep.

Otherwise, most of the time it is a good thing.

Top Bottom