Clutch question

dis_dis

Banned
So I went for light wheeling this weekend and when I got semi-stuck in a ditch when I was backing up using the clutch to control speed, a lot of smoke came out from the clutch. Afterwards the jeep wouldn't accelerate as quick as it normally would and I could still smell the clutch. I let it cool off for awhile and cut my wheeling trip short. On my way back I could still tell that it wasn't accelerating as good as before but after some time it felt like it got back to normal.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how worried should I be about the clutch and should I start thinking about replacement?
I wheel on a regular basis and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere due to a faulty clutch doesn't sit well with me :)

I have a 2008 2 door JK manual with a Ripp stage ii supercharger

Ty for your help

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sounds like you got water at a minimum and possibly debris in between the clutch pads and the flex-plate/fly-wheel. It might dry and/or wear away... But if it were me I would be planning on replacing or at least a disassemble to investigate. (I'm pretty paranoid and tend to do things proactively though)

dis_dis

Banned
Sounds like you got water at a minimum and possibly debris in between the clutch pads and the flex-plate/fly-wheel. It might dry and/or wear away... But if it were me I would be planning on replacing or at least a disassemble to investigate. (I'm pretty paranoid and tend to do things proactively though)

I did hit a lot of water holes and I might've hit some of them pretty fast, to the point where water came inside the cabin ... :)
So def it is possible that some water might've made it in.
And I also like being proactive rather than reactive

I think what would concern me is not simply water... That should eventually dry and then friction would return. The red-flag to your post was the burnt smell. This implies that something else was in in between the surfaces. What is it and what damage it has done can only be seen by inspection.

Sucks though. It's not an easy one (at least for most home-garage mechanics)

dis_dis

Banned
I think what would concern me is not simply water... That should eventually dry and then friction would return. The red-flag to your post was the burnt smell. This implies that something else was in in between the surfaces. What is it and what damage it has done can only be seen by inspection.

Sucks though. It's not an easy one (at least for most home-garage mechanics)

Got it. I was kind of thinking the same thing ... :)
Ty sir

jkmadness

I agree with JNABIRD333. Doesn't the manual have an inspection port on the bottom ?,maybe you can stick a flashlight and look.

Top Bottom