Las Cruces NM Spring Break

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Back in March the wife and I had some time off so we decided to take advantage of some of the warmer temps a few hours south of us for some much needed down time. It was the first camping/offroading trip of the year and despite the chilly temps at night it was a great time. We checked out some trails to the northwest of Las Cruces and camped at Leasburg Dam State Park just north of the city. It just happened to be her Uncle Scott's birthday so we took him with us. I was really glad we did because I ended up spotting most of the time as he drove my jeep.

Heading out to the trailhead, seems this sign is the favorite target practice among the locals
lc-1.jpg

Shot of trail beginning: Caution rock crawling ahead :thumb:
lc-2.jpg

Uncle Scott guiding me down some rocky shelf
lc-3.jpg

Shots on the Hopping Jalapeño Trail:
lc-4.jpg

lc-5.jpg

lc-6.jpg

lc-7.jpg

lc-8.jpg

lc-9.jpg

lc-10.jpg

lc-11.jpg

Scott found an interesting hat on the trail...
lc-13.jpg

On the trail with the birthday hats:
lc-12.jpg

Nice view at the top of canyon, wide expanse with the rugged Organ mountains off in the distance...
lc-19.jpg

Bullwinckle

Hooked
What a great trip that would of been, I bet your wifes uncle enjoyed the birthday wheeling. I know I would. :clap2:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
What a great trip that would of been, I bet your wifes uncle enjoyed the birthday wheeling. I know I would. :clap2:

Yea, thanks, he had a great time. He usually brings his FJ but it doesn't have near the articulation that the jeep does and we didn't know how difficult the trails would be. Turns out, since we had only one vehicle we decided not to tackle anything too challenging. We even brought along a homemade cake and some stew, both made with his favorite beer, Guinness.

jktubby

looks like a blast. i need to make my way to las cruces im only about an hour away. If you ever come down again let me know, hopefully by then i have some wheels and a lift to clear rocks. wayoflife, if you ever explore trails in new mexico let me know i'd love to be a part of it.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
looks like a blast. i need to make my way to las cruces im only about an hour away. If you ever come down again let me know, hopefully by then i have some wheels and a lift to clear rocks. wayoflife, if you ever explore trails in new mexico let me know i'd love to be a part of it.

Ditto....if you decide to take a trip over PM me and I'll do the same. Spring and Fall are best times (you probably know already) for pleasing temps. We gotta get WOL over to NM for some wheeling and green chile enchiladas :thumb:

jktubby

Ditto....if you decide to take a trip over PM me and I'll do the same. Spring and Fall are best times (you probably know already) for pleasing temps. We gotta get WOL over to NM for some wheeling and green chile enchiladas :thumb:

Sounds good i will let u know when i do. Yes spring and fall are the best, weather right now is in the 100s :gaah: . I guess time to write up some recommended trails so WOL can make a visit. :thumb:

Top Bottom