Advice on tires

Mudigger70

I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 12 Rubicon and am about to outfit it for off road. I don't do alot of rock crawling but am in alot of mud with the occasional crevice or 2 but I also do alot of road driving. I was wondering if anyone knows how much of a difference on mpg there will b between a 2 in lift with 33 and a 3 in lift with 35 and wich would b better

Tranquillity

Of course your mpg will increase with the 35". Is mpg a top priority!?

Then what kind of weather are you going through? It may affect which tire will be best for you.

Everyone I know that bought 33" switched to 35" not much later... Might not be your case, depend how much mpg is an issue.

Mudigger70

I live in south Louisiana so wet is the weather And if its a 2-3 drop in mpg it's not a problem but 7-8 now that's a problem

Tranquillity

Considering your rig that will be something like 2-5 mpg of difference. I'd suggest 35 and don't look back.

As for the tire, I can't speak with personnal experience but a lot of friends run bfg km2 and they are very good and have good durability. Can't says for nitto's but they seems very good as well !

RUMMY

Do you have 4.10 or 3.73 gears ? I am running 285-70-17 good year duratracs on my 2013 rubi unli and my gas milage is Lil better than stock 32 bfg because of being 1 inch taller . I'm running 0 lift at the moment . I have been in tire business for many years and the duratracs are my new fav because they are excellent in all terrains but work great in snow and rain . They clean out well in the clay like mud we have here in Pa. And WVa. . I have had them on for 10k and the barely wear at all . Most of my driving is road surface in Pa . But they have been put threw their paces off road also . BFG all terrains are a great tire in all areas except mud . But anyway the 285 s would be better if you are running 2 inch lift and 3.73 gearing but if you have 4.10s go 35 s !

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RUMMY

Just remember how nice it is to park your jeep in the mall parking lot and be able to see it like a blue light special at K Mart ! 35s and 3 inch lift will make you happy !

RUMMY

When your doing a lot of highway driving the 33 inch tire with 4.10 gears is running about 2300-2400 rpm at 60-65 mph so it lowered rpm about 150 -200 rpm which is worth about 1.5mpg in the newer jeeps with 3.6 -5spd auto because it is still in a good power range and lowered rpm . The 35 inch tires may go either way on mpg . It does depend on the tire and air pressure also . My 285 -70-17 on the jeep with 35psi air in them measure 32.7 . Inches tall .

KPM171

I'm running 410
And what's y'all's opinion on dick cepek mud countrys

I like the aggressive tread of the Mud Country, but they are fairly heavy. If you don't mind carrying that kind of weight, what about the BFG KM2 w/ the Kevlar side-walls?

KPM171

The km2 are lighter?

No, they are the same weight. In a 35x12.50r17, both tires clock in at 68 lbs. For comparison sake, a stock rubi tire for 2013 is 48lbs. My thoughts were if you didn't mind the weight, why not go for a little bit stronger of a side wall.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No, they are the same weight. In a 35x12.50r17, both tires clock in at 68 lbs. For comparison sake, a stock rubi tire for 2013 is 48lbs. My thoughts were if you didn't mind the weight, why not go for a little bit stronger of a side wall.

Pretty sure the nitto is 78 pounds not 68.

Top Bottom