35 Inch Tires

jonyuri253

I'm planning to put 35" tires on my jeep jk. I just cut my fenders I was just curious if I need tire spacers to be able to use 35's?

Since almost all 35" tires are 12.5" wide... Yes; you will need to use space the center-line of the tire out. This can be done with wheel spacers for stock wheels, or by decreasing the measured offset (usually to 4.5" or less) on aftermarket wheels. There are some 35x10.5 tires that would not require spacers or modified offset, but they are rare. Most guys still have some rub when full stuffed with 35s and flat flares on stock susp. A leveling kit will get you most of what you need to correct this. Hope this helps.

jonyuri253

yeah thank you very much now i just need to decide if i want to get a leveling kit or wheel spacers... any suggestions on that?

You will likely need wheel spacers to turn without rubbing on flat ground, where the leveling kit will only keep flex rub at bay.

PSC has some of the cheapest wheel spacers I've seen. -> http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-JK-Wheel-Spacers-1-5-p/ws-17-010.htm They can be found even cheaper trough some of their distributors.

The TeraFlex Leveling Kit is pretty cheap too. (I am running it and am pretty happy, but there really isn't much to these) -> http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_1100_07.htm

mtnbiker995

You will likely need wheel spacers to turn without rubbing on flat ground, where the leveling kit will only keep flex rub at bay.

PSC has some of the cheapest wheel spacers I've seen. -> http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-JK-Wheel-Spacers-1-5-p/ws-17-010.htm They can be found even cheaper trough some of their distributors.

The TeraFlex Leveling Kit is pretty cheap too. (I am running it and am pretty happy, but there really isn't much to these) -> http://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_1100_07.htm

Rough country's website has theirs for $55 a pair! At least when I ordered mine a year ago

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
yeah thank you very much now i just need to decide if i want to get a leveling kit or wheel spacers... any suggestions on that?

get new wheels unless you like the stock wheel. if you like the stock wheel get spacers. i have black rock wheels with 4.25 back spacing wrapped in my 35's. no rubbing issues at all.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I would seriously consider running spidertrax spacers if you are going the spacer route. They might be more expensive than some of the others but, in my opinion, spacers are not something you want to skimp on. I remember a few years ago a metallurgist or aerospace engineer ran a bunch of tests on the spidertrax. The results were impressive.

silverbackjk

I would seriously consider running spidertrax spacers if you are going the spacer route. They might be more expensive than some of the others but, in my opinion, spacers are not something you want to skimp on. I remember a few years ago a metallurgist or aerospace engineer ran a bunch of tests on the spidertrax. The results were impressive.

Was that prime 8 ? Jk

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeepmed

I like my stock wheels and I'm planning on the spidertrax spacers. Just cant decide on which 35" tire yet.

TiciTaci

Banned
I remember a few years ago a metallurgist or aerospace engineer ran a bunch of tests on the spidertrax. The results were impressive.

What's there to run? Pretty much all spacers are made from 6061 AL hardened to T6. :thinking:

The only difference will be in the machining and even then they are all CNC'ed so as long as they are to tolerance they should all be functionally the same.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Well, take this for what it's worth but spidertrax testing of some imported 6061 spacers showed that the spacers did not meet 6061 requirements. Also, some imported spacers do not use grade 8 studs...spidertrax does.

Don't take my word for it, do your own research.

The test by a member I was talking about confirmed spidertrax exceeded the 6061 requirements.

TiciTaci

Banned
spidertrax exceeded the 6061 requirements.

Ok, that makes absolutely no sense. 6061 is not a requirement, it is not a standard, it is simply a material specification. Nothing more. There's nothing to fall short of or exceed. Something either is AL6061 T6 or it isn't.

It's like saying that something is made of Pyrex 7740 glass. It either is made of this glass or it isn't but there's no exceeding the "glass requirement".

daltexjeeper

My guess is a spacer made in China was advertised as being T-6 6061 Aluminum, but when tested for the yield and tensile strength of T-6 (somewhere in the ballpark of 45,000 psi and 40,000 psi) it fell short. In other words it did not meet the properties of the T-6 6061 Aluminum. I think the take away was don't assume because you buy something on Ebay that claims to be T-6 6061 Aluminum, that it is actually T-6.

dahreno

Banned
I would get new wheels with the correct backspacing.Spacers need maintenance . you have to check them to make sure they are always tight. By the way , you have to remove the tires to tighten them don't you ?

daltexjeeper

Yes, you have to remove the wheels to access the spacers. Always install spacers with red thread locker and do re-torque them from time to time. Don't forget to remove the Jeep factory clips that come on the studs before you install your spacers either.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ok, that makes absolutely no sense. 6061 is not a requirement, it is not a standard, it is simply a material specification. Nothing more. There's nothing to fall short of or exceed. Something either is AL6061 T6 or it isn't.

It's like saying that something is made of Pyrex 7740 glass. It either is made of this glass or it isn't but there's no exceeding the "glass requirement".

Ok. Forgive me if I am improperly using a term of art. The point was simple though: imported products advertised as 6061, when tested, clearly were not. They did not have the properties of 6061 aluminum. On top of that, they did not have grade 8 studs.

I'll see if I can find you a link.

Edit: here you go TiciTaci. http://blog.spidertrax.com/category/wheel-spacers/

Believe it if you want, ignore it if you want. It matters not to me. Out of curiosity though, how do you know that other imported brand spacer is 6061? Because the advertising says so?

All I'm saying is I remember an independent test confirming what Spidertrax represents. That's enough for me.

Last edited:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I would get new wheels with the correct backspacing.Spacers need maintenance . you have to check them to make sure they are always tight. By the way , you have to remove the tires to tighten them don't you ?

Yup, I have Spidertrax at all four corners. Takes me about 30 mins to check them. Not really a big deal, plus with the tire off you can inspect things easier. I've gone to re torque mine several times to have them not move whatsoever and my torque wrench pops immediately. I can't say the same about wheel lugs, even without spacers.

daltexjeeper

Yup, I have Spidertrax at all four corners. Takes me about 30 mins to check them. Not really a big deal, plus with the tire off you can inspect things easier. I've gone to re torque mine several times to have them not move whatsoever and my torque wrench pops immediately. I can't say the same about wheel lugs, even without spacers.

I too have found the same thing. I ran Spidertrax spacers on my old WK for 3 years. Never found a loose nut when checking them. I just threw a new set on my JK as well.

Top Bottom