Shaking steering wheel...

billybob990

My xj feels like its in four wheel drive when turning on the road, the wheel will start shaking back and forth but its for sure in two wheel drive. Is my steering stabilizer bad?

I'd rather be fishing...

My xj feels like its in four wheel drive when turning on the road, the wheel will start shaking back and forth but its for sure in two wheel drive. Is my steering stabilizer bad?

I'd rather be fishing...

Is anything done to the front end? manual locking hubs or anything?

Army_Vet

Banned
this happened to me in another 4x4

This exact thing happened to me in another 4x4 in the past. It was the u-joint at the knuckle. Funny thing...

billybob990

Nothing is done to it but a 3 in lift. I knew it would be one of them but not sure which becuse I have a rough country stabilizer and figured it was junk already. I'm about to swith to a moog super trail boss for the stabilizer

I'd rather be fishing...

RockyJk

Nothing is done to it but a 3 in lift. I knew it would be one of them but not sure which becuse I have a rough country stabilizer and figured it was junk already. I'm about to swith to a moog super trail boss for the stabilizer

I'd rather be fishing...

Take off the stabilizer and see if it stops

billybob990

Well if I take it off it will be the same if its bad, if its bad then it will be like not having one because there won't be any resistance. Ill have to get someone to turn the wheel while I check it out.

I'd rather be fishing...

if you have a perfect working rig it should run fine without a steering stabilizer. steering stabilizers cover up/dampen the underling issues. I would jack the front axle off the ground start with the drag link, and tie rod. shake all of them back and forth, up and down. look for any play in the tie rod ends. if you cant find anything move on to ball joints, wheel bearings, and u joints. check ball joints and wheel bearings by trying to move the tire back and forth and up and down. look for any play and when you find whats causing it replace it.

normally ball joints or wheel bearings will cause the whole tire to wobble and you would feel vibrations in the whole jeep and not just the steering wheel. so spend more time looking into all the tie rod ends first. :twocents:

FrankenJeeper

if you have a perfect working rig it should run fine without a steering stabilizer. steering stabilizers cover up/dampen the underling issues.

Indeed, it should run fine with no stabilizer, I'm running with no stabilizer and can't tell a difference.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

billybob990

I do know all my steering is fine, its a 99 and super tight steering, barely move the wheel and your turning. I'm going to check it out if I ever get a day off. I was hoping someone would have experienced the same thing like the guy posted earlier so I could get the part at work and change it when I got home

I'd rather be fishing...

Top Bottom