Mammoth Lakes Trails?

jkjurny

We're camping in Mammoth in two weeks. Was wondering what trails people recommend that are less than an hour from the city. I already saw Laurel Lakes and Deadman's pass. Any others and advice?

Thanks!!!

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
You gotta do Laurel Canyon. It is on the cover of the Sierra Nevada byways trail book and is an awesome trail that goes to the top of the mountain SE of Mammoth a few miles.
130.jpg 140.jpg 147.jpg

Rebel JK

Are you very familiar with mammoth/ june area already? There are miles of trails and loops between them. We were there a few weeks and put in almost 100 miles in on trails in the area exploring. Of course we did Laurel lakes, but down in the valley, we also found an interesting water harvesting system set up on a creek in a box canyon where we went down to bust a few clays with the 12 gauge. Hmmm...

Last edited:

Rebel JK

What area are you camping at? If you are down in sherwin creek area then laurel lakes trail head is just south a few miles. The views up there are straight out of an Ansel Adams photo shoot. You may want to bring some fishing gear with you on this one for the lakes. Actually if you like to fish, you want to carry your gear with you full time up there!!
If your up around twin lakes or lake mary then you may want to hit the inyo craters area off the scenic loop drive which takes you up towards deadmans creek where there are miles of easy 4low volcanic sand with scenic areas and creek crossings in and out of the trees. You can figure out different loops which can take you back to the scenic road or all the way back down into the town of mammoth.
Surprisingly, We hardly saw anyone on the trails out there late June so it was really nice.
We have been going to mammoth for many years but only a couple times with the jeep so I have a lot of exploring yet to do. Your best bet is to stop by the visiter center when you get into town and pick up the latest four wheeling/ offroad maps. You should ask for the 2 free maps because neither one show all the trails, but between the 2 you can get around pretty well and avoid getting lost.

My last 2cents are to make sure to hit mammoth brewery and pick up some epic IPA's!! We also used to pick up a growler of root beer for the kids when they were younger. Shoot me a pm and I can shoot you over a pic of the maps I've got. I can't get my wol app to sinc with my iPad for pics.

jkjurny

What area are you camping at? If you are down in sherwin creek area then laurel lakes trail head is just south a few miles. The views up there are straight out of an Ansel Adams photo shoot. You may want to bring some fishing gear with you on this one for the lakes. Actually if you like to fish, you want to carry your gear with you full time up there!!
If your up around twin lakes or lake mary then you may want to hit the inyo craters area off the scenic loop drive which takes you up towards deadmans creek where there are miles of easy 4low volcanic sand with scenic areas and creek crossings in and out of the trees. You can figure out different loops which can take you back to the scenic road or all the way back down into the town of mammoth.
Surprisingly, We hardly saw anyone on the trails out there late June so it was really nice.
We have been going to mammoth for many years but only a couple times with the jeep so I have a lot of exploring yet to do. Your best bet is to stop by the visiter center when you get into town and pick up the latest four wheeling/ offroad maps. You should ask for the 2 free maps because neither one show all the trails, but between the 2 you can get around pretty well and avoid getting lost.

My last 2cents are to make sure to hit mammoth brewery and pick up some epic IPA's!! We also used to pick up a growler of root beer for the kids when they were younger. Shoot me a pm and I can shoot you over a pic of the maps I've got. I can't get my wol app to sinc with my iPad for pics.

We're near Lake Mary. Thanks for the tips, especially about the brewery! I think we'll do Inyo Craters. I'd love to do Laurel Lakes, but the group I'm with may not want to deal with the shelf road. We'll see. Thanks again!

Rebel JK

Here are the maps I picked up. I usually carry an axe too just in case of any dead low hangers like this one. Keep it right next to the good old 870.

Attachments

• 20130717_184220 - Copy.jpg
    20130717_184220 - Copy.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20130717_184142 - Copy.jpg
    20130717_184142 - Copy.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20130717_184244 - Copy.jpg
    20130717_184244 - Copy.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 46
  • 20130717_184302 - Copy.jpg
    20130717_184302 - Copy.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20130627_143510 - Copy.jpg
    20130627_143510 - Copy.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 46

Rebel JK

Trail looks narrow like its a quad trail, how wide was it?
Wouldn't be fun meeting someone coming the other way! .

There are a few sections a little more narrow than this and it's a long ways down. The bottom half is plenty wide though.

Attachments

• 20130625_121927 - Copy.jpg
    20130625_121927 - Copy.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20130625_124856 - Copy.jpg
    20130625_124856 - Copy.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom