Coolant Question about 2013 Wrangler

Strainger

Caught the Bug
The temp gauge on my Jeep jumped into the red the other day when I punched the accelerator getting onto the freeway. It settled down to normal shortly after as I continued driving so I didn't stop until I got home. At home, I heard a gurgling sound as I shut off the engine. When I checked the overflow bottle it was practically empty. There were no apparent signs of a leak before or since.

Normally, I would just add coolant to the "max" line on the overflow bottle and let nature take its course. I understand that the cooling system is supposed to be "closed" and that a new formula coolant is needed. There is no "max" or "Min" line on the recovery bottle even though the owner's manual indicates a system capacity of 10.5 quarts when coolant recovery bottle is filled to MAX level.

So... I'd like to get some feedback from some more experienced Jeepers on what to do before I go and do something I might regret.

Otherwise, my plan is to buy the outrageously expensive MoPar concentrate, dilute it to 50/50, and top off that recovery bottle to the filler neck.

Paisano

My 2013 reservoir has a max fill line on it but its hard to see where it sits. It easily disconnects without any tools and you can lift it up to see the max line. Obviously your gauge shouldn't jump into the red. I wouldn't advise filling it up to the top of the neck unless you want it just spill out. I have just over 12,000 miles and only needed to add a 8-12 ounces of fluid just recently. I just use the Mopar product to top it off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Toneman

a 2013 Should be covered under factory warranty. I would take it to jeep and ask them WTF :eek: Also if you take it in for an oil change they top off your fluids. Would be cheaper than buying their coolant lol

Paisano

It is my experience with dealerships that unless the problem is occurring the mechanics aren't going to do much. I always do my own maintenance and having extra fluids for runs is always a good idea.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
My 2013 reservoir has a max fill line on it but its hard to see where it sits. It easily disconnects without any tools and you can lift it up to see the max line. Obviously your gauge shouldn't jump into the red. I wouldn't advise filling it up to the top of the neck unless you want it just spill out. I have just over 12,000 miles and only needed to add a 8-12 ounces of fluid just recently. I just use the Mopar product to top it off.

Ay, Paisan! Thanks for the fast reply. I did as you said and marked the bottle for future reference and help for my old tired eyes. I shall be adding fluid accordingly. Thank you sir.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
a 2013 Should be covered under factory warranty. I would take it to jeep and ask them WTF :eek: Also if you take it in for an oil change they top off your fluids. Would be cheaper than buying their coolant lol

Toneman, thanks for the quick reply. You are right. Much cheaper. My dealership has been great about checking fluids at oil changes for the past 5 years. I suspect that since this was the first oil change for the new Jeep, they backslid a little and assumed all was good. I will make a point about it soon. ;)

Strainger

Caught the Bug
It is my experience with dealerships that unless the problem is occurring the mechanics aren't going to do much. I always do my own maintenance and having extra fluids for runs is always a good idea.

You are so right. I am just being a cheap chump. I will be buying some coolant to keep handy at home and to take on future trails.

Spartan

I don't know if the +2012 have the same problem with the tranny over heating as the 2010's do, but I put a tranny cooler on mine, and never had a problem with it after that.

EasyE

I'm thinking that the engine temp should not rise much when accelerating.. That might be an indicator of something else... The 2012 and newer have larger auto trans coolers.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking that the engine temp should not rise much when accelerating.. That might be an indicator of something else... The 2012 and newer have larger auto trans coolers.

I have very little experience with auto transmissions. My Jeep is a 2013. Would a larger trans cooler show more/quicker temp changes like I experienced?

EasyE

My understanding is that the engine cooling and the auto trans cooling are separate systems.. ie. the engine can over heat and the trans temp remain normal.

I have experience with auto trans overheating due to a bad torque converter. Extra cooling is a great idea.. Especially if you are towing, pushing the limits in low range or loaded up on the freeway..

RUMMY

Take it to the dealer because there have been a few head issues with 2012 and a couple 2013 s that I have heard about . A cylinder head can cause fluid loss and temp spikes . They can warp and cause coolant to leak or burn in combustion chamber where you sometimes will not notice .

Strainger

Caught the Bug
Take it to the dealer because there have been a few head issues with 2012 and a couple 2013 s that I have heard about . A cylinder head can cause fluid loss and temp spikes . They can warp and cause coolant to leak or burn in combustion chamber where you sometimes will not notice .

Yep. Going to dealership first thing Monday morning. Hope the service gang isn't hung over from the week-end.:rolleyes2:

Top Bottom