Options for handheld cb's in the jeep

Emptybrass

It's my first jeep and I want to do some small trails may be the greens at Rausch Creek. I don't really want to tie up the space for a standard cb unit but would like a handheld unit from cobra (38) or midland. Is there options to tie into a 3 or 4 foot stick mounted on the jeep? Thanks all for your time.

Ldogg

Cobra 75 and a 4' firestik firefly, with the cooltech tailgate bracket is what I run. Work great, easy to install, it's small and you can get that whole bundle including the 18'coax and the bracket for the center stack for $199.

Tackerdown

Banned
It's my first jeep and I want to do some small trails may be the greens at Rausch Creek. I don't really want to tie up the space for a standard cb unit but would like a handheld unit from cobra (38) or midland. Is there options to tie into a 3 or 4 foot stick mounted on the jeep? Thanks all for your time.

That is a possible rout I've heard good and bad. I had one many years ago and back then they were crap. I'm not sure if the year you have but I mounted mine under the driver seat , I don't plan on swamping my jeep. There is a bracket under my seat that has some electrical connections on it. I pulled them off and wire tied the cb bracket to it. It's out of the way,didn't have to take apart my dash and works well.

Sent from my HTCONE using WAYALIFE mobile app

Spartan

Cobra 75 and a 4' firestik firefly, with the cooltech tailgate bracket is what I run. Work great, easy to install, it's small and you can get that whole bundle including the 18'coax and the bracket for the center stack for $199.

I had mine hooked up to a little external speaker that sat right next to the tweeter on the dash of my 2010 JKUR, and worked great. Plenty loud even at Hwy speeds.

Emptybrass

I just got it July 3rd. It's a 2013 JKU. I was thinking that a handheld might also work if you need to be outside say spotting or something.

Emptybrass

No that unit is an option. I saw it once before then forgot about it. I keep going back to a handheld just so when I'm not using it I can disconnect a power wire and an antenna and put it away. I just didn't know if they made some sort of antenna adapter to do this.

TheStick

I have the Midland hand held unit hooked up to a 3' stick and the Cooltech gate mount. Only have used it once so far but for close trail riding it did great.

13JKUR

X2 on the cobra 75, I have that setup with license plate mount and a external speaker installed in my roll bar right behind my head. Works great!

Ldogg

No that unit is an option. I saw it once before then forgot about it. I keep going back to a handheld just so when I'm not using it I can disconnect a power wire and an antenna and put it away. I just didn't know if they made some sort of antenna adapter to do this.

It looks like on the cobra 38 handheld that you can connect a magnetic mounted antenna to it. They also show a bnc/so239 adapter that allows you to connect to a standard antenna. You could run a gate or plate mounted firestik, and then connect it using that cable adapter it seems. I am not sure how that connection works but its listed in the owners manual from cobra on the 38.

Atch

I also have the Midland. It works great, I have it attached to a firestik mounted on the spare carrier.

Tackerdown

Banned
I just got it July 3rd. It's a 2013 JKU. I was thinking that a handheld might also work if you need to be outside say spotting or something.

That's what i was thinking too , lane87 had used them in Korea and said they worked pretty good. I just had a bad taste in my mouth from the one i had years ago and couldn't bring myself to get one.

Sent from my HTCONE using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom