Switch to Rubi or Upgrade my Sahara ?!?!

Karlos30

Hi !!
I prensently have an unl. sahara 2011, 3" lift with 35" tire etc.., when I bought my jeep I didn't mind about modification, I tought I would kept it stock :doh:
I was completly wrong ! So, running my jeep for 2 years now, I know that lockers and re-gearing would come a neccesity.
So I think I have 3 plans for around 2014-2015...

First one could be to keep my actual sahara and pay to install a rear+front locker(maybe rear could be enought...but would like both axles locking)
and re-gear to 4.56 or 4.88, the bigger tire I'll use would be 37", not taller, so 4.56 4.88 would be best ?
I'll do like 60% DD and 40% trail..and with the old 3.8L. I would have to pay to make this modification done, I would plan to use ARB locker.

Second plan, I could sell my actual sahara and buy a manual used rubicon 2012(pentastar)
Like that, I would keep the factory rubi gearing and lockers, so just need a lift and put 35 or 37" tire with others minors modifs.
I could have kept bumper, winch from my old sahara(depending on price I get if for..)
But question is : Is the factory rubicon locker is comparable, better or not regarding the ARB lockers ? and Is rubi gearing 4.10 would
be correct to run 37" tire(I guess yes..) since pentastar is more powerfull, I guess 4.10 would be ok on road...I don't want to have to
regear after that! Ok I would save money to avoid buying and installing lockers and re-gearing job, but I have to sell my actual jk..not to low$ and
find a used rubicon, and a used car is a used car...cross finger to not have big problem right after warranty is away ! :thinking:
My actual sahara is guarranty for 7 years, until 2018, so If I keep it I wont have to much stress on that point...

Last option I see, could be to sell my actual jk and buy a new sport model jk and make it re-gearing, add arb lockers and build it as I want.
Somthing cool, Jeep dealer makes a lot of deal and agreement with a garage who have really good skill and knowledge for modifying jk.
so it would be possible for me to make it lift and re-gear 4.56/4.88 + arb lockers and others mod before to get the Jeep.
I could built it as i want and put all modifs cost on the loan of the jeep...that's cool !

I need your input ! I like my actual jk but I see a leak of power with 3.73 gear on 35" with the 3.8L, for sure I would plan to re-gear it and add lockers.
If I switch to Rubi 2012 I'll get the power with the pentastar, same for sport model, without expensive modifs(regear+lockers) but would I be ok with 4.10
gearing and 37" tire ? Is factory lockers are good as the ARB locker ?:thinking: If answer is yes, second option would probably be the one to choose.
If not, for the 3rd option does it make sens to switch from my sahara to a brand new sport jk only to get the 3.6L pentastar motor..? since I'll have to make
the exact same modifs that I would do if I keep my sahara...

Thanks and sorry for my not so good english ;)

sean.m.adams33

I was in a similar perdicament very recently. The differencei is I only saw one option, build my sahara. I opted to throw a pro rock 44 in the front, lock both front and rear with ARB lockers and regear to 5:13 since I am also throwing 37's on it. Re gearing should take care of your sluggish problem with your 35's and if you are planning to go 37's I would say 4:88 would work. If you like your jeep now then I do not see a reason to get rid of it. Tons of people have the 3.8 and are doing just fine with it. Build up what you got and enjoy wheeling it!:rock:

StrizzyChris

So there's a lot in that message so I'll say a stock locker is nowhere as good an ARB. Paychex is running 37 on his d30 but has been babying it and looking to switch to a D44.
My question would be...how much do you owe on your JK? And do you have the cash for aftermarket axles out of pocket?
If you own your Jeep outright and don't desire a highway workhorse then I would invest in a front PR44 with ARB and gears already installed. Then regear only your rear when you replace the rear carrier and axle shafts all at the same time. All you'll have left to do is install the compressor and switches. In the end this will be a lot cheaper than buying a new jeep and paying new tax title and license fees.

All that being said, I'm a bit aggressive while driving and really wanted the new engine. I am a but disappointed with the head issues it seams that a majority of people are experiencing. I replaced mine when the jeep was a month old :grayno:

So there's a lot in that message so I'll say a stock locker is nowhere as good an ARB. Paychex is running 37 on his d30 but has been babying it and looking to switch to a D44.
My question would be...how much do you owe on your JK? And do you have the cash for aftermarket axles out of pocket?
If you own your Jeep outright and don't desire a highway workhorse then I would invest in a front PR44 with ARB and gears already installed. Then regear only your rear when you replace the rear carrier and axle shafts all at the same time. All you'll have left to do is install the compressor and switches. In the end this will be a lot cheaper than buying a new jeep and paying new tax title and license fees.

All that being said, I'm a bit aggressive while driving and really wanted the new engine. I am a but disappointed with the head issues it seams that a majority of people are experiencing. I replaced mine when the jeep was a month old :grayno:

Strizz is correct, I am babying my 30. i have found Rubi44s and will be making the swap soon. I will then begin the process of babying my stock lockers until I can upgrade those to ARBs. Having to do it all again, it would have been a rubi. but since I love my JK, am am okay with slowly building it up. But my next jeep will be a rubi!!!

andrew-

I would say keep the Sahara and build it as you want too. You have blood sweat and swearing invested in the mods already and it is half paid for if not already.
I am going to get either a Rubi Dana 44 or a PR44 for mine. I would not want to go through trying to build another if the only discrepancy is the front axle. Now if there are other issues which you have not mentioned then trade it and get a Rubi and start the mods.

JMHO,
Will

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What everyone else said I agree with. I was looking to upgrade my sport to a rubi not to long ago. Long story short I will be able to upgrade my sport for a cheaper cost in the long run than I would if I got the rubi. Stick with your Sahara and slowly build it up more

Sent from my iPhone

Tranquillity

It's was looking for an upgrade of my D30 or swaping it. Well once I was setled at keepint it, regearing + puting arb lockers on my d30 is about 5000$ and no chromoly shaft yet. I believe it's worth to invest on a PR44. Especially if you plan going to 37"

Spartan

If you like your jeep now then I do not see a reason to get rid of it. Tons of people have the 3.8 and are doing just fine with it. Build up what you got and enjoy wheeling it!:rock:

I agree it depends on how much you like your Jeep. If you would really hate to trade it in then keep it, and up grade. If you don't mind trading it in then go with option 3. I had a Rubi, and I loved it, and my next Jeep will be a Rubi, but if my dealer would let me build it any way I wanted, finance it, and warranty it. It would go that rout. Then you get the new engine, and you don't have to worry about voiding the warranty.

I think most Jeepers would love to have a build rig that was 100% for sure coved under warranty.

Karlos30

So, It doesn't worth the price to swap jk just to get the new 3.6L motor... I'll probably keep and upgrade my sahara and overtime make it as a rubi..and better lol !
with lockers and new gears. Do you see any issue keeping my front Dana30 with 4.56 or 4.88 gear ? On 37" tire would I see difference between 4.88 and 4.56 gear, Which should I take ? :thinking:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So, It doesn't worth the price to swap jk just to get the new 3.6L motor... I'll probably keep and upgrade my sahara and overtime make it as a rubi..and better lol !
with lockers and new gears. Do you see any issue keeping my front Dana30 with 4.56 or 4.88 gear ? On 37" tire would I see difference between 4.88 and 4.56 gear, Which should I take ? :thinking:

yes there is a problem with it. i wouldnt run 37's on my D30. i will run 35's till i can get a D44 front or i have the cash to upgrade to a PR44 to run 37's. the 30 will most likely fail sooner and easier trying to move the 37's

Karlos30

yes there is a problem with it. i wouldnt run 37's on my D30. i will run 35's till i can get a D44 front or i have the cash to upgrade to a PR44 to run 37's. the 30 will most likely fail sooner and easier trying to move the 37's

Good to ear ! no problem at all with 35"....

thanks

RUMMY

I would just get drunk and flip a coin ! To many decisions make me nuts .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jk4x4wrangler

I would just get drunk and flip a coin ! To many decisions make me nuts .

^^^ This :cheesy:
But in all seriousness, I went from an 08 2dr (manual with the 3.8) to a 2013 JKUR (Automatic with the 3.6 and 4.10 gears). The new motor is a lot of fun to drive. I am very happy with the performance. So to answer that part of the question, yes the new motor, I think is worth it. I do miss my 2dr sometimes, I had a lot f blood sweat and tears in that rig, but building the rig is half the fun, so now I have a new project :brows: (just don't tell my wife)

RUMMY

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374249086.251625.jpg how much difference in mpg between the 2 is a huge factor for me .I'm getting great fuel milage on my 2013 rubi automatic with hard top and running 33 inch tires and I don't know of 3.8 getting that

StrizzyChris

View attachment 40517 how much difference in mpg between the 2 is a huge factor for me .I'm getting great fuel milage on my 2013 rubi automatic with hard top and running 33 inch tires and I don't know of 3.8 getting that

This IF you stay near stock. Go to 37's like the OP is planning and you'll never see those numbers again. Just did a road trip in mine with all highway and 35's and got 16mpg. My mixed is around 14.5 go low 15mpg. In the 3.8 that would be probably 0.5 to 1mpg worse so difference in a built and heavy rig is negligible

RUMMY

Oh that's true but at least the power would be there with 3.6 . If I were him I would do a hemi conversion or diesel and a good front axle . That way no new payments and good to fair gas mileage with a shit ton of power !

Spartan

I have the stock Rubi 44's on mine, and still added sleeves and gussets. Ran 35" KM2's with no problem.

1yellowjk

1. Keep your 35's, not a huge change up to 37's and your 35's will take you were you need to go.

2. Build the D30 with ARB locker, truss and c-gussets supports and good axles.

3. ARB Locker the rear and do the same Axle supports.

4. Re-gear when you put in lockers 4:88's would be fine IMO

5. Work on building up your suspension and wheel the hell out of it.

:)

I have seen some Jeeps on 35's w/nice set up suspensions travel the same paths as those with larger tires and big axles. You can also work on giving your Jeep a diet, which isn't always easy depending on where you wheel and how long the trails are.

Down here in the south we don't have 5 mile long trails and can normally walk back to our trucks or camp site, not so much for those lucky guys in the West; sp they have to pack heavy in case they break.

Top Bottom