JK Upgrade Questions from a New Jeep Owner

chrisdev01

I've been lurking around here for a little while after finding some fantastic videos by Wayalife on YouTube -- quality stuff.

A few weeks ago I bought a black 2013 Jeep Wrangler 2 dr Sport S with 6sp manual transmission.

My goal is to build a solid trail vehicle that is more mild than wild.

The jeep is a daily driver and I have no plans to do serious rock crawling.

I do plan to drive it to west Texas and central Texas for mild trails; and I'd like to explore some of Colorado's more tame trails too.

So far Four Wheel Parts in Houston has done the following:

• ARB Recovery Kit
  • Procomp ATX 33's on 17 inch Procomp D-Window wheels
  • Rubicon Express 2 1/2 inch lift
  • Skyjacker Dual steering stabilizers
  • Bilstein 5100 Shocks
  • KC Hilites Rally 800 Lights
  • 600w Alpine system

IMG-20130628-00184.jpg

The following list are my planned upgrades:

• Shrockworks mid-width front bumper - $1000 (on order, November 1 delivery)
  • Warn VR8000s Winch with Synthetic cable - $750
  • JKS Sway bar quick disconnect $160
  • Airaid Cold Air Intake - $350
  • Shrockworks rock sliders - $500
  • Shrockworks rear bumper / tire carrier - $1500
  • Rancho Oil pan armor - $160
  • Re-gear present 3.21 to 4.11 or 4.??
  • G2 Front Chromoly axle upgrade kit - $1000 plus install
  • Truck Lites LED head lamps- $500
  • Eaton E-Lockers - $1600 plus install
  • Dynomax Rock Crawler Exhaust -
  • Superchips tuner

I'm sure this has been discussed countless times, but I'd really appreciate it if some of you experienced Jeepers can review my list of planned work.

Is there anything I've missed?

Is there anything listed I should omit?

In what order should the work be done?

I should also add that I am currently running 33s. Due to budgetary constraints I would prefer to not go to 35s or 37s.

I'd like to keep the Dana 30 up front too if possible.

Thanks!
Chris in Houston

Last edited:

Tranquillity

I think you're planning building a rig that would be quite overkill for what you plan to do. Chromo shaft, regear, lockers I'm not sure about all these mods if you're planning going mild off roading occasionally. Rock sliders and protection are a must as you don't plan going any larger than 33". But if budget isn't a problem, it's another story. :beer:

TheStick

I agree. Top of the list would be a skid to protect the oil pan and tranny and some rails. Even just some Rubi take-offs would do the trick. For mild trail riding you are set. Go have fun :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
X3....... get some sliders, armor underneath, recovery stuff and yur good. no need for the shafts, gears and lockers if your doing mild trails and not going above 33's

KPM171

X3....... get some sliders, armor underneath, recovery stuff and yur good. no need for the shafts, gears and lockers if your doing mild trails and not going above 33's

X4! Protection underneath is vital to keep your DD on the road. Other wise, it sounds like you have planned out a very nice build. Grab those quick disconnects next. They aren't super expensive, and you'll be shocked how much more articulation you can get out of your Jeep with that part.

seanb123

What stuck out to me was the steering stabilize you have one and don't need to upgrade that and also with 33 regear is far from needed

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I'd ask why you chose Shrocksworks because there are much more affordable front and rear bumpers that would be just as nice looking and functional for what your intended use is. You could purchase a 4" EVO Enforcer lift with King 2" spec racing shocks for what you are planning on paying for just your bumpers. :thinking:

Most guys that run 37s don't even run dual stabilizers.

I'm not knocking your build just curious. Sometimes we get trapped by a sales pitch. I never like to see someone blow money on high dollar parts that they can put towards other good mods or the cost of living.

That being said Congrats on your Jeep and I look forward to watching it grow! :thumb:

chrisdev01

I think you're planning building a rig that would be quite overkill for what you plan to do. Chromo shaft, regear, lockers I'm not sure about all these mods if you're planning going mild off roading occasionally. Rock sliders and protection are a must as you don't plan going any larger than 33". But if budget isn't a problem, it's another story. :beer:

Great insight regarding the protection. I will definately give those items a higher priority as you suggested.

I think my build philosophy is, "...anything worth doing, is worth over-doing", or perhaps, "...it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Truthfully, I enjoy projects; and the new Jeep definately qualifies as that.

I'm sure I will try some of the more technical trails later (with proper guidance of course). I have alot to learn.

In the meantime, I think over-building might be fun (and educational).

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Great insight regarding the protection. I will definately give those items a higher priority as you suggested.

I think my build philosophy is, "...anything worth doing, is worth over-doing", or perhaps, "...it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Truthfully, I enjoy projects; and the new Jeep definately qualifies as that.

I'm sure I will try some of the more technical trails later (with proper guidance of course). I have a alot to learn.

In the meantime, I think over-building might be fun (and educational).

That's the great thing about a Jeep, everyone can build them the way they want! ;) :beer::beer:

chrisdev01

I'd ask why you chose Shrocksworks because there are much more affordable front and rear bumpers that would be just as nice looking and functional for what your intended use is. You could purchase a 4" EVO Enforcer lift with King 2" spec racing shocks for what you are planning on paying for just your bumpers. :thinking:

Most guys that run 37s don't even run dual stabilizers.

I'm not knocking your build just curious. Sometimes we get trapped by a sales pitch. I never like to see someone blow money on high dollar parts that they can put towards other good mods or the cost of living.

That being said Congrats on your Jeep and I look forward to watching it grow! :thumb:

Thanks!

I chose Shrockworks far a couple of reasons; they are local to me, just down the street. So I wanted to support a local shop. Second, their front bumper was the only one that I could find that met all of my requirements:

~ factory fog mounts
~ low winch mount (almost completely internal)
~ built in light mount tabs
~ low winch hoop

I chose the Shrockworks sliders due to the way they mount directly to the frame (and not the body); there may be others that also mount that way, but I like the look of the Shrockworks sliders too.

As far as the lift and stabilizer I installed, I followed the advice of Four Wheel parts here in Houston (perhaps should've done more research regarding the dual stabilizer). As far as the lift was concerned, I did not want to modify brake lines and drive shafts hence why I went with the 2.5 inch lift.

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Thanks!

I chose Shrockworks far a couple of reasons; they are local to me, just down the street. So I wanted to support a local shop. Second, their front bumper was the only one that I could find that met all of my requrements:

~ factory fog mounts
~ low winch mount (almost completely internal)
~ built in light mount tabs
~ low winch hoop

I chose the Shrockworks sliders due to the way they mount directly to the frame (and not the body); there may be others that also mount that way, but I like the look of the Shrockworks sliders too.

As far as the lift and stabilizer I installed, I followed the advice of Four Wheel parts here in Houston (perhaps should've done more research regarding the dual stabilizer). As far as the lift was concerned, I did not want to modify brake lines and drive shafts hence why I went with the 2.5 inch lift.

That's cool, it's good to support your local shop. If I'd have been better educated before I put my armor on I would have chosen a US company instead of Smittybilt. Thus far it's done it's job but I will most likely end up changing it out over time.

I have had pretty good experiences with 4wheelparts but I am always wary of salespeople. Now that your on the forum you have all the info you could possibly want at your fingertips!

Cheers! And welcome to WAYALIFE!

Cajun JK

Congrats on the purchase. I have a 2012 sport s that I use the same as you and I haven't done any mods to mine at all and I haven't had any issues on trails. I haven't been on the rocks, but it has handled everything else. Except for looks you could have saved yourself a bunch if cash.

Tranquillity

I do get your point of getting ahead of trouble. Can't say it's a bad thing and if you come to like wheeling more than you expected you'll be able to still upgrade your tire.

I would get 4.56 regear, then you will be at ease going up to 35", just don't floor it your traction control will hate you with your 33" haha!

chrisdev01

Congrats on the purchase. I have a 2012 sport s that I use the same as you and I haven't done any mods to mine at all and I haven't had any issues on trails. I haven't been on the rocks, but it has handled everything else. Except for looks you could have saved yourself a bunch if cash.

Thanks Cajun jk, my neighbor has a jeep nearly identical to mine. She has done very little to hers and reports the same as you; no mods equals capable trail vehicle.

Truthfully, my intent is to somewhat over-build for the type of wheeling I plan to do. Mostly because it'll be a fun project, but also I will likely try some more difficult trails in the distant future...

I don't want to run 40s with a six inch lift and a 5.7L Hemi crawling over rocks, I just want something improved over stock that will not leave me stranded in the Rockies because an axle broke...

Also, when I eventually go wheeling with a large group, I do not want to be he guy that has to be towed out because I failed to think ahead.

P33J_JK

Realize if you go with G2 Front Chromoly axle upgrade kit on that front D30 you have effectively made the ring and pinion the weak link.

If you had spare axles you could swap a broken axle out in 20 minutes on the trail. A new ring and pinion is going to take someone who knows what they are doing in a pretty well equipped garage a couple hours at a minimum. Gears and install kit around $500, 2-3 hrs X installers rate, time Jeep is down, time required to pray the gears are installed right etc.

Last edited:

chrisdev01

Realize if you go with G2 Front Chromoly axle upgrade kit on that front D30 you have effectively made the ring and pinion the weak link.

If you had spare axles you could swap a broken axle out in 20 minutes on the trail. A new ring and pinion is going to take someone who knows what they are doing in a pretty well equipped garage a couple hours at a minimum. Gears and install kit around $500, 2-3 hrs X installers rate, time Jeep is down, time required to pray the gears are installed right etc.

Brilliant. This is the kind of response I need. I had no idea, and now I've learned something.

Thanks P33J!

GCM 2

Support local!

That's really cool you chose to go with Shrockworks. One of my best friends, also who I wheel with locally in AZ, has nothing but Shrockworks on his JK. It is some of the best stuff out there and looks great too. I think if you searched for complaints about the company, the only thing you will ever find is the overall wait time for products can be lengthy. I have never read anything negative on the quality or performance of their kit for jeeps.

chrisdev01

That's really cool you chose to go with Shrockworks. One of my best friends, also who I wheel with locally in AZ, has nothing but Shrockworks on his JK. It is some of the best stuff out there and looks great too. I think if you searched for complaints about the company, the only thing you will ever find is the overall wait time for products can be lengthy. I have never read anything negative on the quality or performance of their kit for jeeps.

Agreed! Seems a bit crazy to have a four to six month wait, but I'm in no hurry.

I should have my front bumper by Nov 1st, which is fine cause I have to save cash for the winch in the meantime anyway.

chrisdev01

Upgrade Dana 30, or replace with Dana 44?

I haven been watching a bunch of video online of lockers vs no lockers.

I'm certain that I will want lockers eventually and I plan to go to either 4.10 or 4.56 when I have them installed.

Is it worth it to gusset, re-gear and install a locker in my front Dana30, or should I go with a Dana 44 up front first?

Sorry for all the newb questions, trying to learn...

Top Bottom