07-20-2013, 07:19 AM
i recently picked up a little utility trailer from lowes
its 3.5'x5' and had TINY tires, but will be perfect as a base for my build
it was very budget friendly as far as the price goes
here's what it looked like when i bought it
its currently sitting on 35's and now has a 3500# dexter axle
theres still a lot left to do, but its getting there
it will be used for hauling gear for off road, camping and hunting trips
eventually ill get a tent for it. lots of big plans...
instead of retyping everything heres a link to the build thread:
link (http://www.jk-forum.com/modified-jk-tech-2/off-road-trailer-%93build-267582/)
hope i dont get in trouble for providing a link to the jk forum:drunkbuds: were all jeepers anyway so i doubt i will

please check it out and let me know what yall think
any suggestions would be great

thanks guys!:beer:

here are a few photos of it uncompleted but sitting on 35's behind the jeep
currently in the process of finishing it up (bigger fenders, deck and walls, lights, storage box, jack stand, etc)
check out the build thread via the link above
and yes, i know the tires are backwards, need to flip them around...

catahoula
07-20-2013, 10:30 AM
i recently picked up a little utility trailer from lowes
its 3.5'x5' and had TINY tires
its currently sitting on 35's and now has a 3500# dexter axle
theres still a lot left to do, but its getting there
it will be used for hauling gear for off road, camping and hunting trips
eventually ill get a tent for it. lots of big plans...
instead of retyping everything heres a link to the build thread:
link (http://www.jk-forum.com/modified-jk-tech-2/off-road-trailer-%93build-267582/)
hope i dont get in trouble for providing a link to the jk forum:drunkbuds: were all jeepers anyway so i doubt i will

please check it out and let me know what yall think
any suggestions would be great

thanks guys!:beer:

Looks good. Welcome to a Wayalife!:rock:

Canvas JK
07-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the WAYALIFE.

westtexasjku
07-20-2013, 03:13 PM
thanks, ive been lurking for awhile and have read the write ups on project jk extensively. i also thoroughly enjoy the videos. especilly the jk experience ones.

Robar
07-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Did you get the 3500# axle locally? Does the axle have 5x5 lug pattern?

Webe
07-20-2013, 08:38 PM
I am planning on building one from scatch. Here's the tent company I plan on using. http://www.tepuitents.com/

westtexasjku
07-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Did you get the 3500# axle locally? Does the axle have 5x5 lug pattern?

yes
tmp in midland ordered it for me, ask for matt
very reasonable price
yes its 5x5
fits my 16" factory steel wheels
not sure if it would fit 17" alloy wheels bc the trailer bearing is larger than the jeeps
can only vouch for it working with my wheels

btw kenneth laabs mentioned you before
you should check out west texas crawlers (https://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Texas-Crawlers/340254592742645?ref=hl) robar

heres a photo of the label on the dexter axle and one showing my 16" wheel on it for you

westtexasjku
07-21-2013, 08:01 PM
I am planning on building one from scatch. Here's the tent company I plan on using. http://www.tepuitents.com/

thats the same tent company im buying on from too
im eyeing the ayer (i believe thats what it was called)
its the little one, which btw now comes in tan too
before it was just blue

westtexasjku
07-22-2013, 02:48 AM
got the deck and front wall put on
still need to put on the side walls and build the gate
im pretty happy with the colors of the wood
the black accents really set of the stain in my opinion
the bolts holding the boards to the trailer will be trimmed down and painted black

westtexasjku
07-22-2013, 08:40 PM
afternoon bump
has anyone ever used shocks on a little trailer like this?
it will really jump up in the air when being towed empty and hitting a good bump on a paved road
its suspension is rated for a big load but the trailer weighs just a few hundred pounds, even with the wood deck
im going to air down the tires a bunch and see if that will help smooth it out any:thinking:
any suggestions or thoughts?

westtexasjku
07-23-2013, 03:13 AM
got the side walls bolted on
working on the gate now
im very happy with the way its turning out:rock:
i put the storage box in it and drove it to the grocery store to grab some dog food and man was it turning heads
i had 4 people walk up to me and ask me where i bought it and 2 other people said cool/nice trailer as i drove by
my phone died before i could get a shot of it with the box mounted in it
i will post some more tomorrow
here are a few photos
everytime i add a little more weight to it the trailer pulls better down the road (less bouncy)
the short 2x6's near the front are for the box to sit on so that i have storage underneath
still need to cut off the bolts sticking out on the outside of the trailer
considering painting them black

catahoula
07-23-2013, 03:16 AM
Dude that thing is SUHWEEEEEET! More pics please!:rock:

catahoula
07-23-2013, 03:20 AM
afternoon bump
has anyone ever used shocks on a little trailer like this?
it will really jump up in the air when being towed empty and hitting a good bump on a paved road
its suspension is rated for a big load but the trailer weighs just a few hundred pounds, even with the wood deck
im going to air down the tires a bunch and see if that will help smooth it out any:thinking:
any suggestions or thoughts?

I wonder if you could fabricate something with shock extension mounts. I've seen some by AEV. I hope you are going to provide a build sheet with this thread. That thing looks awesome.

westtexasjku
07-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Dude that thing is SUHWEEEEEET! More pics please!:rock:

thanks catahoula
usually when i mod something related to the jeep it takes a few days or weeks for it to grow on me bc im so picky
not at all the trailer, i LOVE the way its turning out!
im about to go outside and take a photo of it with the storage box in it

westtexasjku
07-23-2013, 05:14 AM
almost done!
so i just went outside to take some photos of the trailer to post on here and figured i would see how my ice chest, two 5 gallon fuel jugs and two 6 gallon water jugs would fit in the trailer when the storage chest is in the front of the trailer.
everything fit PERFECTLY, couldnt be happier with the size of the trailer
i have some shackle mounts that im going to install on the deck so that i can ratchet strap stuff down
got the measurements for those
im going to work on the gate tomorrow and install those shackles
after that (other than fenders which are going to wait) all i have left to do before our club's trip this weekend is to mount the license plate and load up the storage box (it will hold tools, vehicle fluids, tow straps, misc trail gear, etc)
i love the way it pulls, anywhere i point the jeep it follows exactly
i could weave btwn cones and wouldn't have to worry for a second where the trailer was

westtexasjku
07-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Here are the shackles I'll be mounting to the deck...
I'm going to drill small pilot holes to keep the boards from splitting and then am going to attach them to the deck with 3/8''x1'' lag bolts
Theyre rated WAY over anything I'll ever put in the trailer (1,200# per shackle) and should last for a while.
Getting closer to being finished!
My (7th) tire should be arriving at Discount today so I'll have them switch the trailer tires around for me real quick when I get my new spare mounted on a wheel.

Check out "West Texas Crawlers" on Facebook

westtexasjku
07-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Got the d rings mounted and the trailer tires flipped around so the trading going the right way and got the new spare mounted on the jeep

westtexasjku
07-24-2013, 03:12 AM
now all thats left is to build the gate, mount the license plate, install some led clearance lights on the fronts of the fenders so i can back it up at night and some flat black touch up paint here and there. i might air the tires down some too.
after this weekends trip to Big Bend National Park with it i will re-evaluate things like adding shocks, the necessary fender width, optimal tire pressure, type of hitch, etc. itll be a great test run for it and itll be nice to have some extra supplies on hand (and not stuffed into the jeep):thumb:

westtexasjku
07-24-2013, 06:46 AM
oh yeah, also need to cut of those ugly bolts and paint whats left flat black
them sticking out like that is driving me INSANE
:doh:

Chairokey
07-24-2013, 06:49 AM
That's a damn nice little trailer you got there. Really wish I had the patience to put something like this together. What's your total investment if you don't mind me asking

westtexasjku
07-24-2013, 01:52 PM
That's a damn nice little trailer you got there. Really wish I had the patience to put something like this together. What's your total investment if you don't mind me asking

thx chairokey
so far this is what i have in it cost wise (dont let my fiancÚ see this!):
brand new trailer from lowes $350
tx plates for a year $80
a few cans of black spray paint $10
two steel 16" jk wheels $75
one 315/75r16 mud tire (i already had one) $260
3500# dexter axle, new springs, metal, shop labor $510
2x wood, bolts $80
misc $65

so to date im at around $1430 or so

i already had one tire and that storage box which total about $365

selling the crap i now dont need will offset the cost a little
like the 2000# axle and original tires and wheels and leaf springs
the spydertrax wheel apapter spacers
the 265/75r16 at tires i swooped off craigslist that i was originally going to use

i think coming in under $1500 for a brand new trailer sitting on 35's built exactly the way i want it isn't too bad.
i doubt that my fiance would feel the same way, but im sure she'll enjoy all the gear itll carry when we go camping!

Chairokey
07-24-2013, 02:01 PM
thx chairokey
so far this is what i have in it cost wise (dont let my fiancÚ see this!):
brand new trailer from lowes $350
tx plates for a year $80
a few cans of black spray paint $10
two steel 16" jk wheels $75
one 315/75r16 mud tire (i already had one) $260
3500# dexter axle, new springs, metal, shop labor $510
2x wood, bolts $80
misc $65

so to date im at around $1430 or so

i already had one tire and that storage box which total about $365

selling the crap i now dont need will offset the cost a little
like the 2000# axle and original tires and wheels and leaf springs
the spydertrax wheel apapter spacers
the 265/75r16 at tires i swooped off craigslist that i was originally going to use

i think coming in under $1500 for a brand new trailer sitting on 35's built exactly the way i want it isn't too bad.
i doubt that my fiance would feel the same way, but im sure she'll enjoy all the gear itll carry when we go camping!

Hey not too bad!!

westtexasjku
07-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Hey not too bad!!

thats what i thought too

when i first started looking into putting a trailer together i was shopping for an m416 or similar
everything i found was:
1) still pretty pricey and rusted out beyond reason
or 2) it was rebuilt and awesome and it was priced at "first born child".

with my little $350 base utility trailer i was really able to ease into this build and found that it was exactly what i wanted in the long run.
i almost bought a 4x6 utility trailer made from pipe instead of my little guy and im glad i didn't bc it would've ended up being too heavy for my liking after i changed out the axle and springs etc...

westtexasjku
07-25-2013, 10:45 PM
So we leave for big bend national park early Saturday morning so I figured I would go ahead and start loading up the trailer and jeep making sure all my gear was packed and checking my packing list as I go. It's SO Much nicer not having all this Crap in the jeep! I'm still gathering up my tools but you can see that the storage box is really being put to good use.
The storage box currently contains: a recocovery strap, gloves, fix a flat, tire plug kit, air compressor, jumper cables, rope, jb weld, quick steel, hand cleaner, motor oil, coolant, tranny fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid, radiator patch kit, all purpose grease, oil pan, shop towels, floor jack, two jack stands, duct tape, zip ties, electrical tape, fuses, ponchos, flashlights, lighters, first aid kit, snake bite kit, glow sticks, 550 para cord, spare ammo, tarp, bungee, paper towels, a 12 volt hand held spot light, and Prob a few other misc things I can't recall right now.
Tonight I'll add to that list of stuff in the box:
A small tool box full of hand tools, mini shovel, bottle jack, a couple of old towels, a hatchet, a folding hand saw, toilet paper, wet wipes, ratchet straps and misc bolts and spare parts.
It's a lot of stuff but where we four wheel is so remote and has no cell service or shade or water and is usually very close to uncontrolled Mexico borders I will always be over prepared.
In the trailer behind the storage box is a cooler full of drinks (beer, water, gatorade, juice), two 5 gallon gas cans, two 6 gallon water cans, and two camping chairs will be stored under the box.
In the jeep I will have a camel back on the back of each of the front seats, a smaller first aid/trauma kit, a fire extinguisher, a non digital compass, a map, spare keys, a cooler of water, a cooler of food, rain jackets, spare clothes and shoes, my 45 w spare mags, my fiances 22 pistol, my 5.56 rifle with spare mags, a couple of fixed blade knives, my fiances diabetic supplies, etc.

westtexasjku
07-25-2013, 11:01 PM
still have to build the gate for the trailer and mount the license plate to it
after that, its basically ready to roll...
i also need to mount the cargo deck cover i built and put the doors on the jeep
ill take the doors off when we get to the national park (we are staying at a lodge there within the park, next to the ranger station)
no camping this time, def not roughing it this trip.
the fiancÚ wants to sleep in a bed and shower etc this time around

westtexasjku
07-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Working on the gate finally
Also touched up the trailer w flat black paint
Including the new axle and suspension
Cut off the excess bolts and painted them and the nylon lock nuts flat black

westtexasjku
07-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Also bolted on the cargo deck I built a while back
It got kind of dusty sitting in the garage

westtexasjku
07-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Gate in progress

westtexasjku
07-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Yup

Chairokey
07-27-2013, 02:35 AM
That's a trailer to be proud of!

westtexasjku
07-29-2013, 05:09 AM
took the trailer to big bend natl park this wknd
it did really really well
pulled great on the hwy
handled the off road trails with ease
followed 100% behind the jeep on very narrow and winding cliffside trails
will tweak a few minor things but nothing major (will post these in a few...)
ill post a few photos and maybe a video or two of it in action
so glad i built it
will be used all time now
love it

westtexasjku
07-29-2013, 05:24 AM
and just bc it was so awesome there, here some more photos from the trip this wknd

sean.m.adams33
07-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Trailer came out really good! Awesome job!👍

westtexasjku
07-29-2013, 05:47 AM
Trailer came out really good! Awesome job!

thx sean:thumb:
big bend was a great test run for it
still need to tweak a few minor things

westtexasjku
07-29-2013, 06:02 AM
here are a few short and shakey video clips of the trailer
pardon the shakiness, my fiance is still working on her trail video skills
first is on a maintained national park road going over some bowling ball sized rocks
the second is bouncing out of an 18" rock crevice
the third is just climbing up a slight grade
fourth is a little dry creek bed and you can see the trailer tilting opposite of the jeep a little bit
click here for the the first video (http://youtu.be/DuLC2Plirkw)
second video here (http://youtu.be/pomUWADxwt8)
third video (http://youtu.be/8bKQJQZ7SQE)
number 4 (http://youtu.be/922CHu6OOQI)

westtexasjku
07-31-2013, 05:14 AM
here's a rough draft of a video for our club's visit to big bend (where i took the trailer on its maiden voyage)
thought yall might enjoy this
West Texas Crawlers - Big Bend Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KgQutMzXys)

westtexasjku
08-01-2013, 12:08 AM
a little shot of the trailer articulating on the standard hitch
it did really well off road
42481:rock:

joelbarras20
08-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Good job on trailer, very nice

Robar
08-01-2013, 01:22 AM
Trailer is looking good. Looks like a fun trip too.

westtexasjku
08-01-2013, 05:46 AM
Trailer is looking good. Looks like a fun trip too.

I was pleasantly surprised with the parks trails.
Also we got really lucky with all the nice weather that wknd.

Hey Robar, you should come wheeling with us sometime!:yup:

Robar
08-01-2013, 11:42 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with the parks trails.
Also we got really lucky with all the nice weather that wknd.

Hey Robar, you should come wheeling with us sometime!:yup:
I agree. I've been meaning to get the family to Big Bend too.

westtexasjku
08-02-2013, 02:17 AM
I agree. I've been meaning to get the family to Big Bend too.

were making a day trip to twin buttes in september:thumb:

westtexasjku
08-03-2013, 03:43 PM
after my initial test run with the trailer i found that there were a few finishing touches that it will need to smooth out some minor wrinkles.
here is the list of minor modifications:

1) to 100% level the trailer i will need to raise my trailer ball about 2". I had a 2" drop/straight and i flipped it but that left me just shy of level.
i dont carry enough weight for it to really matter so its mostly aesthetics, but if you're going to do something - do it right

2)i found that it was difficult to ratchet strap my water and fuel jugs to the shackles i mounted to the deck of the trailer.
the trailer is just too narrow (or i put to much stuff in it) for me to reach the shackles when the items were in the trailer.
bc of this im going to install a few more shackles on the walls of the trailer about halfway up.

3)this one i didnt realize until i got home fromt he trip and started to store the trailer. i need a jackstand!!!!! going to get one with a wheel so i can move it around. right now the tongue is resting on a 5 gallon bucket in my garage, which the trailer has essentially folded in half.

4)the trailer co that installed the new axle for me re routed my wiring when they added the subframe rails and in doing so mustve crossed something up bc the trailer lights are all screwed up. i need to take it back to them to fix asap.

thats it for now.
future plans include figuring out a way to mount removable poles to the trailer for a portable awning and some aux lighting.
also onday it might be nice to have a shallow water take fitted to the bottom of the trailer (since its so high off the ground),
as well as possibly mounting some jerry cans to the front exterior of the trailer.
that would really save some space for some extra gear when camping.

i really wanted to add a rooftop tent, and still may eventually. but right now its on the back burner bc the tents i want are pricey and i have other things on my "jeep to do list" that take precedent over a tent for the trailer (like a winch and a cb and gears and lockers and 37's and tube doors and a roof rack etc... you guys know what im talking about!!!)

updates to follow about the minor additions listed above.

texasdave
08-12-2013, 01:40 PM
I see you added extra braces from the basket to the tongue. Other than extra bracing, was there a reason for this??

westtexasjku
08-13-2013, 04:15 AM
I see you added extra braces from the basket to the tongue. Other than extra bracing, was there a reason for this??

nope, just for extra strength. the tongue was lengthened a foot and with the extra weight of the axle and the tires etc on the trailer the last thing i wanted was the tongue twisting or torquing. it really stiffened it up after the braces were added. theyre (the braces that is) welded to the trailer body and bolted to the trailer tongue. the tongue also bolts to the trailer under the frame in the center.

rtguy1
08-13-2013, 07:50 AM
cool trailer bro!! i likey:yup:

Hollowpoint515
08-13-2013, 12:22 PM
I must say I am quite impressed!

bhawghead
08-13-2013, 09:13 PM
This is an awesome build, great job! Has given me an idea or two, been wanting to build one of these trailers also. But like you I have had other "Jeep Projects" that have taken priority over building my own trailer....but I'm getting closer! Good Job! I only wish we had scenery like that to wheel over in my neck of the woods.

conifers4
08-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Very different build, I really like it!!:thumb:

Millerj87
08-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Nice build man! That's definitely on my list in the future great idea with the utility trailer too!

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

texasdave
08-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Yep I'm about to do the same thing. Minus the wood though. Mainly for coolers, tents and stuff. I only have a two door so I've gotta make some room.

Sent from Texas.....
Semper Fi!

bhawghead
08-17-2013, 02:46 AM
Well, I went online to lowes.com and theres not a one of these trailers within a 100 miles of me.....figures.:bummed: