Going From 17" to 18" Tires

opendieforger

Hi, I am going from 17" factory alloys to the anniversary 18" factory chrome alloys...my question is about recalibration. Both have the factory toms, is there anything I need to do?? Thanks Mike

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
No, the only thing you need to do is prepare to pay an extra $40-$50 for the same size tires. Which is why my Sahara18s went as soon as the tires wore out. 17s ever since.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Wheel size doesn't play a part in speedo calibration. If the tire size is the same then your speedo will be correct.

dahreno

Banned
I also will go to 17s from 18s as soon as my tires wear out.Why would you go to 18s? , for looks only ?

Cajun JK

Seems tires are a lot cheaper for 15's. and on another post they were showing wheel and tires combos in 15's that will fit the JK.

dahreno

Banned
Yeah , you may find 15s that will fit the JK but the back spacing will be to much. Also the tire choice for a 15 inch wheel is not that great . I actually have a set of like new Boggers for sale .They are 38.5 x 15 x 15 ". I went to 17s for a better tire choice on one of my other Jeeps and to fit better over the 3/4 ton brakes instead of having a big back space .

Hawaii 5-0

From what I've read on various forums, 15 inch steel rims won't clear the brake calipers. There are several 15 inch aluminum rims that will work.

I considered 15s for awhile to save money on tires, before deciding on new 17inch rims. The tire balancing issues some experienced with 33s and 35s mounted on 15 inch wheels was the deciding factor for me.

Opinions and results may vary.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
From what I've read on various forums, 15 inch steel rims won't clear the brake calipers. There are several 15 inch aluminum rims that will work.

I considered 15s for awhile to save money on tires, before deciding on new 17inch rims. The tire balancing issues some experienced with 33s and 35s mounted on 15 inch wheels was the deciding factor for me.

Opinions and results may vary.

It has to do with the backspacing. Rockyjk (or rocky07jk, whatever his name is) runs 15" steelies.

Top Bottom