So another problem....

wvjeepin

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374365014.625858.jpg
Both of these came up, the engine light I have a feeling it came on because my header seems to be cracked(sounds like crap when I accelerate) but I do not get why it says gas cap? My gas cap is on

FoxC

View attachment 40618
Both of these came up, the engine light I have a feeling it came on because my header seems to be cracked(sounds like crap when I accelerate) but I do not get why it says gas cap? My gas cap is on
Gascap comes on due to too little back pressure. A cracked manifold or header could have created the same lack of back pressure...:idontknow:

Holeshot

Banned
the gascap message is not related to the back pressure. The back pressure is only in the exhaust. The gas cap message will come on if your gas cap is not tightened enough, or is leaking, or if there is another leak in your EVAP system.

It pressurize the tank, and if the pressure is not kept it will trigger this message.

Quote from ALLDATA repair for a 2011 jeep wrangler
The loss of any fuel vapor out of fuel filler tube is prevented by the use of pressure-vacuum fuel fill cap. Relief valves inside the cap will release fuel tank pressure at predetermined pressures. Fuel tank vacuum will also be released at predetermined values. This cap must be replaced by a similar unit if replacement is necessary. This is in order for the system to remain effective.

CAUTION: Remove the fill cap before servicing any fuel system component to relieve fuel tank pressure. If the cap is left off or loose, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) may be set.

Army_Vet

Banned
Could be a bad gas cap

I had a coworker ask about her check engine light. I ran her codes with my scanner and it came up evap leak. I told her to change her gas cap. 15 bucks and she could do it herself. Well I guess i was just a dumb grease monkey cause she wanted a second opinion. She took her car to the dealer and they ran the codes and told her it would be 800 bucks for them to fix it; Besides the hour troubleshooting time that she had to pay for.

She saw me the next few days and told me what they said; I told her to change the cap and if it didn't fix it I would pay for the cap.

Well after a week and no check engine light, she was so delighted that I saved her 800 bucks...

Benito

Caught the Bug
I had a coworker ask about her check engine light. I ran her codes with my scanner and it came up evap leak. I told her to change her gas cap. 15 bucks and she could do it herself. Well I guess i was just a dumb grease monkey cause she wanted a second opinion. She took her car to the dealer and they ran the codes and told her it would be 800 bucks for them to fix it; Besides the hour troubleshooting time that she had to pay for.

She saw me the next few days and told me what they said; I told her to change the cap and if it didn't fix it I would pay for the cap.

Well after a week and no check engine light, she was so delighted that I saved her 800 bucks...

Did you get her digits after?

FoxC

the gascap message is not related to the back pressure. The back pressure is only in the exhaust. The gas cap message will come on if your gas cap is not tightened enough, or is leaking, or if there is another leak in your EVAP system.

It pressurize the tank, and if the pressure is not kept it will trigger this message.
Well there ya go...thanks for clarifying.:yup:

billybob990

Gas cap and evap are honestly ridiculous, you can go buy a brand new luxury car, drive it, fill it up and drive a little more and your check engine light will come on. Its just a pain. I turn off more check engine lights on newer vehicles than anything. Ill check it erase it and tighten the gas cap by pushing in and turning.

I'd rather be fishing...

wvjeepin

Well I replaced the gas cap, nothing changed.

jeepgreenjon

Check to make sure no vacuum lines are off under the hood, also make sure your evap canister isnt cracked and that all the lines are on it. Common problem due to the shitty location of the canister.

Top Bottom