Dana 44 regear front axle help

mrmet1983

I am replacing my gears in my 2013 JKU auto tranny Dana 44 front with stock e locker. Here is my problem I got my carrier out but there is this shaft blocking the pinion from coming out here he a pic ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374444229.409876.jpg
Anyone have any exp with this on how I remove it cuz the pinion will hit it when I try hammering it out

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

dchew

Caught the Bug
Oh sorry reread your post; you may not have to remove it on the front; I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure if you are careful you can get the pinion out without removing it. A lot of people recommend a spare just in case though! Sorry my brain is mush, but pretty sure that in order to remove the sensor you have to take the whole thing out through the housing.

This is the tricky part about a rubicon locker. See my thread here on how NOT to position that sensor:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5598-Loud-noise-from-the-front-differential-during-a-turn

Wish I could be more help...

mrmet1983

Thank you very much cuz I didn't have this problem with the rear at all and in kinda stuck now cuz I don't think I can get the pinion out without getting that sensor out

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

mrmet1983

Sweet video but he's doing the rear and that sensor is not in the way in rear only on the front so I'm still kind of screwed until I figure out how to get that sensor out of the way. Anyone else have any exp replacing front gears on a d44 with e lockers

mrmet1983

This thing is driving me crazy cuz I wud be done if I knew how that sensor came out

mrmet1983

Ok well I did some research and it just unscrews from outside the diff only problem is that it will round out very quickly so looks like tomorrow ill be fighting that little bastard out and probably just go buy a new sensor to be safe. Anyone have any tricks for how to get that sucker out

Atch

You use a 19mm wrench on the outside of the housing. It's the sensor that works the light on the dash to show you if you're locked or not.

mrmet1983

Thanks a lot guys and yes it just screws out , if I can get it out without destroying it ill just reuse it but I have a feeling ill just get a new sensor and use the original as a spare. Since this sensor only works the light I assume it's not even necessary to keep it but I'd like to be able to just look on the dash and know I'm locked

Atch

Thanks a lot guys and yes it just screws out , if I can get it out without destroying it ill just reuse it but I have a feeling ill just get a new sensor and use the original as a spare. Since this sensor only works the light I assume it's not even necessary to keep it but I'd like to be able to just look on the dash and know I'm locked

You're correct, it's not necessary. I have rubi lockers under my sport and just cut the plungers off.

dchew

Caught the Bug
The good news is they are not very expensive. I have two extra. if you can't find one in stock somewhere I'll send you one. But yeah what Atch said, all it does is tell you you're locked.

mrmet1983

The good news is they are not very expensive. I have two extra. if you can't find one in stock somewhere I'll send you one. But yeah what Atch said, all it does is tell you you're locked.

Thank you so much and that is why I love this forum !! Ill let you know how I make out tomorrow

mrmet1983

To unscrew that sensor everyone says to use 19mm but it's just to big and slips right off and 18 is to small I think I'm going to have to file it down so I can get a grip on it

Atch

To unscrew that sensor everyone says to use 19mm but it's just to big and slips right off and 18 is to small I think I'm going to have to file it down so I can get a grip on it

Try a pair of vice grips

10frank9

Web Wheeler
If I'm reading correctly, you are regearing your rig? Besides the e-locker sensor, have you regeared before? I hear its a precise procedure which can easily be jacked up in the wrong hands.

jmm176

If I'm reading correctly, you are regearing your rig? Besides the e-locker sensor, have you regeared before? I hear its a precise procedure which can easily be jacked up in the wrong hands.

Right......I work with a guy that learned at Wyoming tech and he won't touch differentials dial indicators shims....if its a trail only rig mabey...just my 2 cents

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

mrmet1983

I have rebuilt many rear ends this is my first go with an e locker and I have already finished the rears with no problems at all this is the only snag I have come across and no room for vice grips just curious of anyone else has had a problem getting that sensor out

mrmet1983

If u know what ur doing its pretty easy , setting preload is the only thing u need to be very careful with !! The shims are so easy just use a micrometer and measure stock thinks ness and match it with new shims.

Sent from my JK

mrmet1983

PB penetrating oil is a mechanics best friend !! Sprayed that sensor and let it sit over night and popped it right out this morning

Top Bottom