4 lo question

NCRUBI2012

12 rubicon auto. Went wheeling this past Sat and used 4 low for the first time. I noticed the transmission went into 1st gear at the same time I shifted to 4 low. Does have to be in 1st? Is it possible to go any higher? I was going very slow an revs were high. Most post I read say low up to 20 mph but I don't think I could even get close to that w/o blowing engine. Adding that I tried to shift but it stayed in 1st. I needed to get moving and could not play with it more. Thanks

Webe

I'm not possitive but I think if your E-lockers are engage you will be stuck in 1st gear.

4 lo is used when you need to go slow over an obsticle. It is safety feature to keep from tearing up your transmission, transfer case and drive line.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Were you in D or 1? You can use D and it will shift thru the gears in 4 lo. If you have the sway bar e-disconnected it will lock back up over 20 mph.

NCRUBI2012

Hmm. I will try again this weekend but I moved transmission lever side to side and no change. Forward only moved it to neutral. Need to find a dirt road.

rtguy1

Hmm. I will try again this weekend but I moved transmission lever side to side and no change. Forward only moved it to neutral. Need to find a dirt road.

Use the tap shifter to drop it in 1st. The dash symbol will show 1. Start moving until you get the Rpm's up there and tap the shifter again. If it doesn't go to second gear you have a problem. I use this all the time and it works fine. You can use all gears.

Edit. Just read your first post again. How is the tranny going directly into 1st when you switch to 4lo? You should be in NEUTRAL rolling at 3-5mph when switching from 4hi to 4lo. Once engaged drop it back into drive.

Last edited:

NCRUBI2012

Use the tap shifter to drop it in 1st. The dash symbol will show 1. Start moving until you get the Rpm's up there and tap the shifter again. If it doesn't go to second gear you have a problem. I use this all the time and it works fine. You can use all gears.

Edit. Just read your first post again. How is the tranny going directly into 1st when you switch to 4lo? You should be in NEUTRAL rolling at 3-5mph when switching from 4hi to 4lo. Once engaged drop it back into drive.

When shifting from N to D it went right to 1. No lockers engaged. Again I was in a sticky spot on the trail and did not get a chance to play with it further.

rtguy1

When shifting from N to D it went right to 1. No lockers engaged. Again I was in a sticky spot on the trail and did not get a chance to play with it further.

i see. try it out again when you can build up some speed. should work flawlessly:thumb:

NCRUBI2012

Thanks to all that replied. Went out and found dirt road. All good. I guess on the trail I didn't have the time to work it out properly. Hey I got home safe and nothing is broken. Good day.

Top Bottom