Lights Lights Lights

TheRoyalDoyle

Good morning Wayalifers! Hope everyone is having a good week!

My girl friend and I are planning a trip to southern ca at the beginning of August, and plan on running a few trails while we are out there. I am so new to the wheelin community so I need some help with some lighting questions.

The plan is to be back on maintained road before it gets dark, but plans seem to rarely work out for me, so I am concerned about getting caught by the dark on the trail. Currently the jeep is only equipped with factory lighting. What suggestions do you have for lighting additions.

Just looking for lights that I might really NEED.

Thanks in advance!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would, and did, get the truck lite LEDs. They are leaps and bounds better the. The factory an really all you need.

But if you want some aftermarket spots you could pick up some rigid's or rigid knockoffs for cheaper.

TheRoyalDoyle

I would, and did, get the truck lite LEDs. They are leaps and bounds better the. The factory an really all you need.

But if you want some aftermarket spots you could pick up some rigid's or rigid knockoffs for cheaper.

Suggested placement for those, just pointing straigt ahead?

Devallee

As OverlanderJK said getting truck lites would be the best option for the trail and even everyday driving since the stock headlights are just embarrassing either way. Depending on the trails and from what I've seen on other rigs that I run with, this would really be all you need. If you want a little more like I did, I'm running LED pods (rigid knockoffs) for my fog lights and really like those on the trail as they light up everything on the ground for a fair distance..and I just like the simple, clean, factory kind of look of having things in stock places :thumb:

FrankenJeeper

I'm running the 130w Long range KC daylighters and love them!

Mounted them on my bull bar
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374698144.516700.jpg

Factory high beams, daylighters off
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374698164.416427.jpg

Daylighters on
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374698178.917258.jpg

They aren't Rigid LED's by no means, but I'm very pleased with them.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Suggested placement for those, just pointing straigt ahead?

The trucklites? Yes, straight ahead (they are headlight replacements). As for the extra lights, it depends a bit on your speed of travel and the terrain you will be negotiating. Slow speed through rocks? I'd do rock lights so you can watch your wheels. High speed? Mount your lights high and make sure they have a long throw. Lots of turns and/or things that pop out of the trees? I'd want some wide spread lights aimed out about 45 degrees from the centerline of the Jeep.

jeeeep

Hooked
Good morning Wayalifers! Hope everyone is having a good week!

My girl friend and I are planning a trip to southern ca at the beginning of August, and plan on running a few trails while we are out there. I am so new to the wheelin community so I need some help with some lighting questions.

The plan is to be back on maintained road before it gets dark, but plans seem to rarely work out for me, so I am concerned about getting caught by the dark on the trail. Currently the jeep is only equipped with factory lighting. What suggestions do you have for lighting additions.

Just looking for lights that I might really NEED.

Thanks in advance!

I've found the factory lights with the fogs are fine if you're not having to maneuver through any obstacles, with your "but plans seem to rarely work out for me" comment maybe extra gas is in order?

TheRoyalDoyle

I've found the factory lights with the fogs are fine if you're not having to maneuver through any obstacles, with your "but plans seem to rarely work out for me" comment maybe extra gas is in order?

Most of what I will be doing is slow speed technical stuff. So I will be looking into doing the platinum burners for the jeep should be cheap easy rock light solution. I just installed the or-fab rear carrier with rotopax so I have 6 gallons of extra gas just in case ;)

Thanks for all the input!

Holeshot

Banned
x1000 for the truck-lites!

I've installed aftermarket lights on every cars I've owned, and these are the best I've ever had.

just to give you an idea

factory low beam
2013-06-21 22.24.40.jpg
factory high beam
2013-06-21 22.24.53.jpg
truck-lite new gen. low beam
2013-06-21 22.25.14.jpg
truck-lite new gen. high beam
2013-06-21 22.25.40.jpg
truck-lite new gen. high beam + rigid industries dually's (spot pattern) on A pillar
2013-06-21 22.25.57.jpg
Same as above, in a trail
2013-06-21 22.34.31.jpg

When I drive at night, I try to measure how far they light up. I take a reference point, like a reflecting yellow sign, and when my light spread reaches it, I note the millage up to the reference point. The fartest I've seen is 1km, in the best condition. Otherwise it average at like 600 to 800 meters.

TheRoyalDoyle

x1000 for the truck-lites!

I've installed aftermarket lights on every cars I've owned, and these are the best I've ever had.

just to give you an idea

factory low beam
View attachment 41255
factory high beam
View attachment 41256
truck-lite new gen. low beam
View attachment 41257
truck-lite new gen. high beam
View attachment 41258
truck-lite new gen. high beam + rigid industries dually's (spot pattern) on A pillar
View attachment 41259
Same as above, in a trail
View attachment 41262

When I drive at night, I try to measure how far they light up. I take a reference point, like a reflecting yellow sign, and when my light spread reaches it, I note the millage up to the reference point. The fartest I've seen is 1km, in the best condition. Otherwise it average at like 600 to 800 meters.

Sold me on the truck lights! Where can I get these at the best price! I am sure someone knows ;)

phillypete

Sold me on the truck lights! Where can I get these at the best price! I am sure someone knows ;)

I've always heard Rigids don't have the throw that a traditional light will have, but those pictures look like they have plenty.

My new setup will be trucklites and Rigids in the bumper. I'm thinking I'll do floods instead of spots.

Holeshot

Banned
here's a pic at the same spot with only the rigids dually's spot pattern, mounted on a pillar, aimed a little too low though.

2013-06-21 22.26.11.jpg

mrmet1983

while everyone on here will tell u to drop 500 on truck lites i want to ask you one ? are you looking for just extra light on the trail or on the road also ? if ur just looking for more light offroad i say save your money dont get truck lites and go with a pair of dually led lights they are half the price and i personally love mine. the diff offroad is incredible now having said that i plan on going to truck lites but for a better on road lighting system i see no need for extra light while driving on the road at this point just my opinion

KPM171

Most of what I will be doing is slow speed technical stuff. So I will be looking into doing the platinum burners for the jeep should be cheap easy rock light solution. I just installed the or-fab rear carrier with rotopax so I have 6 gallons of extra gas just in case ;)

Thanks for all the input!

I'm eyeballing a set of Trucklites myself, the results do look pretty fantastic. However, they do stick out a few millimeters farther than a stock light. If that sort of thing is important to you.

For your application, I'd say slap on a pair of Rigid Industries SRQ-2 Floods on the front (bumper mount?). I'm currently running 2 IPF 100W floods on the front but planning to swap them for the same set up I'm suggesting. At 3000+ lumens/light, that should give you PLENTY of light on trail. I run one Rigid SRQ-2 flood on the back as a rear flood for recovery currently and I have appropriately named this light 'day light!'

Rob

I usually just run the factory fogs by themselves. they dont blind spotters or the vehicle in front of me and are plenty of light for the <5MPH were typically doing on a trail. I do plan on adding some cheap rock lights underneath and plan on upgrading the headlights cause they are pretty crappy on the road.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I'm eyeballing a set of Trucklites myself, the results do look pretty fantastic. However, they do stick out a few millimeters farther than a stock light.

Honestly I would say the Truck-Lites are more low profile than the factory light. Since the light lens (on Truck-Lite) is flat instead of curved, the truck light won't stick out as far as the rounded lens on a factory light. :thumb:

I have rigid floods down low on the bumper and 4 spots up high on the roof rack. They work GREAT! Another great thing about LEDs is they take much less amperage to run them so you don't have to put in all the relays like you do if you run a standard KC type light that has a huge amp draw. :twocents:

TheRoyalDoyle

I love the difference between stock Nd the ruck lights. They are definately on the list. I think I will look at the rigid dialog also.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom