Optima Red Top

94YJBeaver

Has anyone ever had any problems with Optima Batteries?? I bought a red top a few months ago and it really seems to be dragging when I start me Jeep... Any thoughts??

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You aren't going to want to hear this, but I've seen a lot of negative comments about Optima. Apparently there was a change in ownership or manufacturing and the quality has gone way down.

94YJBeaver

That is not good because when you put out the money you expect a good product...So with that being said...What have you heard about the best Batteries on the market??

You aren't going to want to hear this, but I've seen a lot of negative comments about Optima. Apparently there was a change in ownership or manufacturing and the quality has gone way down.

zeddjb

I have an Optima Yellow Top that I been running for about 4 years and two JKU-Rubicon's. I keep it under heavy load too such as winching, lots of lighting and on board dual air compressors; granted the alternator takes a lot of that punishment when the Jeeps running, but still no issues.

Since you only bought it a few months ago, the first thing I would do is go to a shop or a auto parts store so they can test it. If it tests bad, then they can at least trade it for a new one. If it tests out good then are you sure it's the battery causing the issues? If you have a different battery you can swap in like maybe a standard battery from a different vehicle and see how it reacts.

I'm just throwing out ideas here to help you eliminate what it can't be because I don't know what you have tried yet.

There are better choices for high performance batteries for 4x4s but for the life of me I can't seem to think of one off the top of my head. I know that WoL knows of a great choice if you are really thinking of getting something different; you may want to shoot him a PM and see what he recommends.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
94YJBeaver said:
That is not good because when you put out the money you expect a good product...So with that being said...What have you heard about the best Batteries on the market??

Sears Platinum Die Hard. They are re-branded high-end batteries and you get the Sear's warranty. The marine version has accessory posts on the front of the battery. When my OEM takes a dive, the Platinum is what I will get.

94YJBeaver

GREAT Ideas...I did actually buy a new "cheap" battery the other day that I just threw in a free truck I just got...I am going to go down tomorrow and have it tested...I was actually thinking about doing that before you suggested it, so I am def. doing it...Thanks for the input...I did go to Optima's website and found out that it has a free replacement warranty on it for 36 mo. which is a plus...If that is what it is...Too bad I didn't buy it here...It was way cheaper to order it and have it shipped to me...

I have an Optima Yellow Top that I been running for about 4 years and two JKU-Rubicon's. I keep it under heavy load too such as winching, lots of lighting and on board dual air compressors; granted the alternator takes a lot of that punishment when the Jeeps running, but still no issues.

Since you only bought it a few months ago, the first thing I would do is go to a shop or a auto parts store so they can test it. If it tests bad, then they can at least trade it for a new one. If it tests out good then are you sure it's the battery causing the issues? If you have a different battery you can swap in like maybe a standard battery from a different vehicle and see how it reacts.

I'm just throwing out ideas here to help you eliminate what it can't be because I don't know what you have tried yet.

There are better choices for high performance batteries for 4x4s but for the life of me I can't seem to think of one off the top of my head. I know that WoL knows of a great choice if you are really thinking of getting something different; you may want to shoot him a PM and see what he recommends.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I bought a Yellow Top two months ago and so far it is holding up just fine and we do have a lot of lights and winch a lot. I am planning on upgrading to a dual battery setup here next week and I will have two yellow tops at that point.

94YJBeaver

Ok...I went down today and had my Battery tested and it checked out perfect...So now I am thinking that the solenoid on the starter might be going out and a "new" starter is going to run about $85.00 with a lifetime warranty...not too bad...

DanMojo82

I haven't had any problems with my yellow top. That's not too bad to get your starter replaced. But what do you mean by dragging on? Is it taking a long time for the engine to finally turn over when you try to start it or are you reading low voltage?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Sears Platinum Die Hard. They are re-branded high-end batteries and you get the Sear's warranty. The marine version has accessory posts on the front of the battery. When my OEM takes a dive, the Platinum is what I will get.

what sharkey said. i've run optimas for years (red and yellow) and have had lack luster performance out of them. i now run sears platnum die hards and they deliver the goods.

O_M_Jeep

If your like me and live in the boonies, then Sears isnt an option, in fact, I live 110 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart. I get almost everything I can from Amazon, I do this for 3 reasons, one of course is I have no place to just buy it for the same price, 2 is the prices and prime member next day air shipping for $4 (Ive even had axle kits and roll cages delivered next day for $4), and 3 is, if you buy it in the automotive section, it has a 1 year replacement warranty, so anything that doesnt live up to its expected preformance for at least a year (and of course barely anything we use does on heavy trail years), they will replace it no hassle, no problems, no worries. I have only had to use this twice (and its been the ultimate in a pleasant customer service experiance). Right now Im looking at Red-Top Optimas on there for $156. Im not trying to promote the site or the battery, but save yourself some money anytime you can, sometimes being forced to shop online saves you and lets you find deals you just cant find elsewhere (like Rockauto when they get the right part to you lol).

Sorry so long winded and I hope that helps someone a little someday. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If your like me and live in the boonies, then Sears isnt an option, in fact, I live 110 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart. I get almost everything I can from Amazon, I do this for 3 reasons, one of course is I have no place to just buy it for the same price, 2 is the prices and prime member next day air shipping for $4 (Ive even had axle kits and roll cages delivered next day for $4), and 3 is, if you buy it in the automotive section, it has a 1 year replacement warranty, so anything that doesnt live up to its expected preformance for at least a year (and of course barely anything we use does on heavy trail years), they will replace it no hassle, no problems, no worries. I have only had to use this twice (and its been the ultimate in a pleasant customer service experiance). Right now Im looking at Red-Top Optimas on there for $156. Im not trying to promote the site or the battery, but save yourself some money anytime you can, sometimes being forced to shop online saves you and lets you find deals you just cant find elsewhere (like Rockauto when they get the right part to you lol).

fair enough. sears does ship but i doubt for as cheap as $4. having said that, amazon does sell Odyssey Batteries (the Sears Platnum's are repackaged Odyssey's) and, while they are pricey, they actually work as opposed to Optimas and i would highly recommend it.

94YJBeaver

That is one of the main reasons that I did not got with Sears...I did see the write up that WOL did on the Platinum and it was great...But the rumors are flying here that sears is going to be leaving town and i know that there are several shops here that do sell the Optima's. But as luck has it weather its good or bad...Its my starter that is going bad, which is going to be way cheaper than a battery replacement.

Top Bottom