Rattle getting on my nerve!!!

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I have 2dr JKX 2008 model with auto transmission it's all stock except new Flowmaster . It has a rattle/squeak after it gets hot. You can only hear when you are going slow, leaving stoplight and offroading. It sounds like maybe its in the exhaust, so that was good excuse to put on a Flowmaster. It sounds good but still have the rattle. Has anyone else had this problem? It's kinda annoying.

Sent from HB1501's iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dis_dis

Banned
I had an annoying rattle when I changed my exhaust. It was the exhaust pipe hitting the evap skid. Lucky for me it went away after a month or so.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mtnbiker995

Maybe it's the heat shield above the muffler getting loose or on the y-pipe in front of the transmission cross member the welds on the heat shield can break loose

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rinkishjk

Check the heat shield on the crossover pipe. The spot welds can break leaving u with a noise. I had this happen, and a metal hose clamp will fix it. :thumbup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Check the heat shield on the crossover pipe. The spot welds can break leaving u with a noise. I had this happen, and a metal hose clamp will fix it. :thumbup:

Yup, what he said. Very common problem and easy to fix with a couple of hose clamps. :yup:

crowrb29

Is it like a weird clanking when your going slow over bumpy stuff cuz I'm having that too and have been wondering what it was.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
It's more of rattle with a little squeak mixed in. I will check the heat shields when I get home.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's more of rattle with a little squeak mixed in. I will check the heat shields when I get home.

Yep, more than likely, it's the heat shield on your cross over.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
You guys nailed my problem, it was the crossover heat shield with a broke weld. That made the Flowmaster sound a whole lot better without the rattle mixing in. I put a hose clamp around it till I can a little weld on it. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374887981.588224.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374888046.394233.jpg

mtnbiker995

I have a hose clamp around each of those welds cause I've broken all but 1 of em, I've had no problems with em coming loose!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RUBI4US

Thank you for this!
The rattle has been bugging me for over a year!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Wayalife mobile

Top Bottom