33s on a wider rim or 35s on stock wheels

miguel250r

I have a 07 Rubicon with a 4" lift and I would like to get other ppls opinion on this... I'm thinking about doing a 33x12.50 on a 15x10 steel wheel or a 35x12.50 on the stock 17s I could almost get the 33s with wheels for the price of 35s tires for 17s alone the jeep doesn't do much wheeling mostly daily driver thinking the 33s would be better since I don't plan on regearing it just cant make up my mind

Benito

Caught the Bug
To run the 35's on stock rims you will need spacers but I would still go that route. Personally I would not "upgrade" to a 33", It is nearly stock. And 33"s will look tiny on a four inch lift.

JeepGuy0486

I have a 2013 Wrangler, with stock 17s how big of a tire can I put on them? I would like to keep them but want a wider and bigger tire on them.

RockyJk

I bought 33x12.5 on a 15x10 wheels and only kept that set up for like a month I say u go 35s on 17's

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I have a 07 Rubicon with a 4" lift and I would like to get other ppls opinion on this... I'm thinking about doing a 33x12.50 on a 15x10 steel wheel or a 35x12.50 on the stock 17s I could almost get the 33s with wheels for the price of 35s tires for 17s alone the jeep doesn't do much wheeling mostly daily driver thinking the 33s would be better since I don't plan on regearing it just cant make up my mind

Are you in a 2-dr or 4-dr? Just asking because 4" is a lot even on a 4-door. I can tell you I would not recommend 33's even on a DD. you will wish you went with 35's the first time. I started with metric 34's then went to 35's on my 2-door. Sold the 2-dr and kept the 35's which are now on my 4-dr. I'm already wanting 37's....

miguel250r

Its a 2 door with a 4" lift.. will it do alright with 35s with factory 4:10 gears or will the overdrive just be useless

miguel250r

I'm new to this forum but I'm trying to attach a pic of my buddys jeep its a 4" RE short arm with 15x12 welds and 33x12.50 tires I guess its a California thing we mostly use our jeeps for sand dunes and light mudding maybe some fire roads in mountains not much rock crawling

Attachments

• 95facebook9590825328695.jpg
    95facebook9590825328695.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 137

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I'm new to this forum but I'm trying to attach a pic of my buddys jeep its a 4" RE short arm with 15x12 welds and 33x12.50 tires I guess its a California thing we mostly use our jeeps for sand dunes and light mudding maybe some fire roads in mountains not much rock crawling

Well welcome to Wayalife! You will be surprised what a difference it makes with 35's on a JK. Your friends TJ is nice, but 33's with 4" on a TJ look much different then 33's with 4" on a JK.

Here are two photos of my old 2-dr, first is 34's second is 35's both with only 2.5" of lift.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375023008.868861.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375023029.679034.jpg

JeepGuy0486

Lol... So I should get 37s? I plan on putting a 6in lift on it after the winter and doing the tires at the same time. I have a 4door

bl17z90

You can run any tire thats 12.5" wide on a stock 17 but inwouldn't go any wider.

6 inches is way too much lift for 37's, im pretty surr hinrich's got 37's on a 2.5" with flat fenders

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Lol... So I should get 37s? I plan on putting a 6in lift on it after the winter and doing the tires at the same time. I have a 4door

In my personal opinion, I would put 37's on your 4-door. 6" is a lot of lift and really all you need to clear 37's is a 3.5" or 4" lift. If I may ask why are you going with the 6" lift? 37's will get you the ground clearance to go anywhere, and 4" will get you the look and wheel travel you need.

6" is a little much and the lower center of gravity of a 3.5" or 4" kit is probably the best way to go. That is of course just my opinion.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
35 should clear with a 4" lift without cutting right? Idk if I have the guts to do cutting on my fenders

Yes 4" will definitely clear 35's with no fender chopping, although you'll need to trim your rear pinch seam and rails if you have any. You may want to do some flex testing to be sure you don't get any fender rubbing.

JeepGuy0486

No reason in particular, seemed like a good number. Just tossing some ideas around right now trying to figure out what I really need. Still doing research. But a 4in does seem like a better idea. Can I put 37s on a stock rim that are wider? If love to out like a 12.5in wide tire just didn't think the rim could hold it.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
No reason in particular, seemed like a good number. Just tossing some ideas around right now trying to figure out what I really need. Still doing research. But a 4in does seem like a better idea. Can I put 37s on a stock rim that are wider? If love to out like a 12.5in wide tire just didn't think the rim could hold it.

You definitely can but if you want to run 12.5" wide on stock wheels you must run wheel spacers.

Glad you're rethinking it. If you are familar with Eddie's (WayofLife) Jeeps, Moby has about 4" of lift with 40" tires. RubiCat sits at about 3.5" of lift with 37"s with cut stock fenders.

JeepGuy0486

Thanks for all your help! I just bought my jk a little over a week ago, and still learning. How big of a spacer do you think I need?

Top Bottom