Tranction Control and ABS

JK's JK

Banned
Hi Guys,

Well I've had my jeep for one week now and the traction control and ABS keeps coming on, on the stupidest turns or slight inclines. Does anyone else have this issue? I did read on a forum that this could be caused by the steering wheel not perfectly centered (which its off a 5 degrees or so). I don't know when the last alignment has been either.

Thank you,

Jesse

MTG

Caught the Bug
Is the ABS activating or just the light coming on? If the later, then I'd start with the stealing wheel. First just look and see if it off centered. There is a write up on here.

JK's JK

Banned
Got back from out of town and started up the jeep. Got onto the free way and the Traction control, ABS and ESP/BAS light all come on. I tried to turn on the cruise control and it did not work when all three lights where on while on the free way. When I stopped completely and tuned the vehicle off, the lights would go away. Then shortly after all the lights would come back on. It's weird because when the lights come on the vehicle feels like something in the rear pulls or the engine looses slight power. I took it over to Dodge and they said that there could be several issues and one of them is my steering wheel. So I got home and aligned my steering wheel perfectly center. I have no idea what this could be. Any ideas?

The weekend before I did remove my exhaust, fixed my caster and lower the tire pressure on the 35"!!! I don't think there are any sensors around those area's which I looked...(My wife believes I did something....(woman)). I do have a weird blinking box at the bottom of my steering wheel. Sounds like the dealer ship install them for increased profit. I have wigged that and it turns on my lights in the cab and my odometer comes on.

Last edited:

Moochie

It could be your steering wheel is not perfectly centered or a bad wheel speed sensor or the wire that connects to it. These are problems that will turn on all 3 of these lights together. What you are feeling is the ESP activating because the Jeeps computer is thinking you are going into a slide. It is trying to save your life. :) Have you checked for codes? Some auto parts stores will do this for you or you can take it to the dealership. Might cost some $$$ if you don't have a friend there. If its a bad sensor or wire this will show up on a dealership scan.

JK's JK

Banned
It could be your steering wheel is not perfectly centered or a bad wheel speed sensor or the wire that connects to it. These are problems that will turn on all 3 of these lights together. What you are feeling is the ESP activating because the Jeeps computer is thinking you are going into a slide. It is trying to save your life. :) Have you checked for codes? Some auto parts stores will do this for you or you can take it to the dealership. Might cost some $$$ if you don't have a friend there. If its a bad sensor or wire this will show up on a dealership scan.

Thank you for the input. I'll check on the wheel speed sensor in the morning. I have not checked for any codes and plan on heading over to NAPA. I have also read several forums about this same issue. It could be my ECU ground not grounding prop, loose wheel bearings, clocking spring and now the wheel speed sensor. I don't really want to take this to the dealer ship since I have had this vehicle for 2 weeks so the more I can do the better off I can be.

Moochie

Thank you for the input. I'll check on the wheel speed sensor in the morning. I have not checked for any codes and plan on heading over to NAPA. I have also read several forums about this same issue. It could be my ECU ground not grounding prop, loose wheel bearings, clocking spring and now the wheel speed sensor. I don't really want to take this to the dealer ship since I have had this vehicle for 2 weeks so the more I can do the better off I can be.

The code reader will point you to the trouble spot.

HLKSMSH

HAHA I had the same issue a short time after I put my lift on. The problem I found was the rear wheel sensor wire was rubbing on my LCA and had rubbed threw I pealed back the wires spliced them back together disconnected the battery for 30min and was good to go. But if any of your wheel sensors are bad or dirty it will cause the same issue Had it happen on my 2010 that time was a bad sensor. Hope that helps and you get it fixed its easy to do.

JK's JK

Banned
HAHA I had the same issue a short time after I put my lift on. The problem I found was the rear wheel sensor wire was rubbing on my LCA and had rubbed threw I pealed back the wires spliced them back together disconnected the battery for 30min and was good to go. But if any of your wheel sensors are bad or dirty it will cause the same issue Had it happen on my 2010 that time was a bad sensor. Hope that helps and you get it fixed its easy to do.

I just want to say your the SH!T. I sure enough found a wire that was grounding out onto the chassis. Last weekend when I was fixing the caster on the jeep I noticed a wire out of a bracket. I guess I placed it lower than it should have been. Sure enough when removing all four tires I found that. Taped it up and moved the wire so it could not rub on anything.

Thank you guys,

Jesse

DEDGE

Same thing here....

So, where exactly would I look to see if there is an issue with the wires? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom