Or fab or rock hard sports cage

silverbackjk

I am thinking of doing a sports cage. I have narrowed it down to either the or fab or hard rock. So i was wondering if the trex top nx is compatible with either of these and the pros and cons of them, also install times. Also some pics. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have installed both and have run a Trektop on both and both are compatible for the most part. You do need to do some trimming on the door surrounds to make it work but, that's no big deal. Having said that, I personally prefer the Rock Hard. The OR-Fab is a great choice too but, it's much harder to install.

silverbackjk

I have installed both and have run a Trektop on both and both are compatible for the most part. You do need to do some trimming on the door surrounds to make it work but, that's no big deal. Having said that, I personally prefer the Rock Hard. The OR-Fab is a great choice too but, it's much harder to install.

I have been reading the or fab is more work to install. I do like the fact that i can save some :twocents: with the or fab but to save some time on the rock hard.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been reading the or fab is more work to install. I do like the fact that i can save some :twocents: with the or fab but to save some time on the rock hard.

Well, I kind of see time = money and the time you save installing a Rock Hard is well worth it. At least to me anyway.

suicideking

I've talked to a few that have the Rock Hard cage and recommend it. I haven't heard anything bad about it.

I stopped by my mod shop (JPI) a few weeks ago and they were installing a PSC cage. I noticed mostly because they had the windshield folded down which looked kinda funky. The cage looked good, but wasn't finished.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This was on my list but just seemed to pricey for me.

It is pretty pricey but, if I actually thought it was a better setup, I would have still done it. What I can tell you is that I have only seen the Rock Hard cage endured full blown roll overs (3 times) and keep the occupants safe. Not saying that the others wouldn't do the job but, being that the Rock Hard is easier to install, still looks good and is something I have seen to work well, I just decided to get another when it came time to install one in Rubicat.

ttfhell

We seriously considered installing one in Rubicat but decided against it after seeing/hearing how difficult they were to install and how noisy they are.

Thanks, the install looks crazy compared to the Rock Hard but I like that it bolts to the floor. Squeaking noise or wind noise is that what you are talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, the install looks crazy compared to the Rock Hard but I like that it bolts to the floor. Squeaking noise or wind noise is that what you are talking about?

Squeaking noise and, if you're worried about having a cage that bolts to the floor, the OR-Fab will do that too. But, like I said, the only cage I have seen endure 3 full rolls and protect it's occupants is a Rock Hard cage.

Of course, if you're looking for even better protection, I would recommend you give Off Road Evolution a call. Their new full weld in cage is where it's at.

AP2003

If I powdercoat my rock hard cage parts, will they still fit properly? Or do I have to grind out or not powdercoat the inside parts of clamp sections? Thanks for any suggestions.

If I powdercoat my rock hard cage parts, will they still fit properly? Or do I have to grind out or not powdercoat the inside parts of clamp sections? Thanks for any suggestions.

I had my powdercoater mask off the inside of the clamps.

Top Bottom