Factory Locker Question?

steadfast91

Looking for someone to give me an idea how factory lockers should work. I have an 08 Rubicon that I bought used. I am running 37's with 5:13's and put in chrome moly shafts.

I notice that when I hit the switch the lockers do not engage right away sometimes the light on the dash blinks for awhile then they will engage.
Also I have a hard time getting them to disengage. Sometimes I have to rock the jeep back and forth to disengage the lockers.

My question is how should they work? When you hit the switch do they engage. Also should it be hard to get them to disengage.

And also is their a deference between electric and air lockers.

Thanks,

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking for someone to give me an idea how factory lockers should work. I have an 08 Rubicon that I bought used. I am running 37's with 5:13's and put in chrome moly shafts.

I notice that when I hit the switch the lockers do not engage right away sometimes the light on the dash blinks for awhile then they will engage.
Also I have a hard time getting them to disengage. Sometimes I have to rock the jeep back and forth to disengage the lockers.

My question is how should they work? When you hit the switch do they engage. Also should it be hard to get them to disengage.

Brand new, when you push the button, the lockers should engage with relative ease. You may need to be rolling a bit for this to happen but, nothing more than that. Again, when new, you should be able to disengage them just as easy. Running bigger tires will put a lot of strain on the working components of your factory lockers and it's VERY COMMON for them to go bad. We ended up going through 3 of them before finally moving on to ARB's.

And also is their a deference between electric and air lockers.

Yes, the later requires you to have an air compressor to engage and disengage your lockers. However, they are proven to be strong and work well.

ziggy

We ended up going through 3 of them before finally moving on to ARB's.

Question, in your opinion what makes the factory lockers go bad? Did you have problems from the dealership because of changing gears (I am assuming you have aftermarket gears in) lift, and bigger tires? I just bought a 2013 Rubi because I didn't want to deal with switching lockers, etc....:icon_crazy:

suicideking

Should also be mentioned: When they do go bad, there is no serviceable parts. You have to replace the locker.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Question, in your opinion what makes the factory lockers go bad? Did you have problems from the dealership because of changing gears (I am assuming you have aftermarket gears in) lift, and bigger tires? I just bought a 2013 Rubi because I didn't want to deal with switching lockers, etc....:icon_crazy:

The factory lockers were only really made to handle 32" tires. Running larger tires and wheeling harder trails will put a lot of strain on the working components of your lockers. This will cause the components to crack and prevent them from working properly. They will not engage or disengage as needed.

Should also be mentioned: When they do go bad, there is no serviceable parts. You have to replace the locker.

What he said.

Top Bottom