Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier with adjustable tire mount

Spartan

Any have one of these, or know much about them other then what's on TeraFlex's site? Looks like a cool idea, and the video makes it look like it will hold up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was just reading the tread. I think the problem is it's made of aluminum, and made in china.

That's a lot of it but really, for the price, there are a lot of better options available on the market today. Again, I have yet to see where factory hinges are weak and in need of beefing up and if anything, you really should get the spare off the tailgate. One hit of it on a ledge or a steep climb and you will be doing some serious damage to your tailgate. Trust me, I have seen it happen on more than one occasion.

jkbud

I'm happy with mine... i haven't hit it on a ledge though so maybe someday i'll have a different opinion. I don't really care to have to open the tire carrier separate from the gate anymore though... call me lazy if you will.

jeffd

I have the TF hinge and i personally think it was money well spent. You can get them for $391 shipped and it definitly lessens the load on the tailgate, once you actually mount one it makes sense how they support the weight vs the stock set up.Essentially you could run without a tailgate and just use the hinge bracket to support your spare tire and you could not do that with stock hinges. the tailgate also stays exactly where you put it so no worrying about swinging open and pulling the tailgate stop out.
IMG_20130727_123710_256_zpsbe6890a6.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the TF hinge and i personally think it was money well spent. You can get them for $391 shipped and it definitly lessens the load on the tailgate, once you actually mount one it makes sense how they support the weight vs the stock set up.Essentially you could run without a tailgate and just use the hinge bracket to support your spare tire and you could not do that with stock hinges. the tailgate also stays exactly where you put it so no worrying about swinging open and pulling the tailgate stop out.

Prove to me where the factory hinges wouldn't be able to support the weight of a bigger spare? In over 6+ years of wheeling with people who've been running 35's or even 37's on a factory tailgate, I have yet to see a single factory hinge break or fail in any manner. So long as the spare is properly isolated, I have yet to see any factory carriers or spot welds break either. Of course, if you're happy with the $400 you spent, don't let anything I say get in your way. :)

daltexjeeper

Was just reading the tread. I think the problem is it's made of aluminum, and made in china.

I thought the carrier looked like it was a cool concept for about 2 seconds until I found this out. Then I watched one of the Wayalife videos where a tire mounted on the tailgate got snagged on a rock and bent the actual tailgate. Haven't thought about getting one since. They may do the trick for some, but if I am going to spend money on a tire carrier it better be able to take a whoopin' (that is Texas for not bending or breaking).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the carrier looked like it was a cool concept for about 2 seconds until I found this out. Then I watched one of the Wayalife videos where a tire mounted on the tailgate got snagged on a rock and bent the actual tailgate. Haven't thought about getting one since. They may do the trick for some, but if I am going to spend money on a tire carrier it better be able to take a whoopin' (that is Texas for not bending or breaking).

:cheesy: The tailgate break you saw on our video was actually pretty tame by comparison to others we have seen. The amount of damage you can do to your tailgate and rear glass is substantial. It's enough that some in our group have resorted to removing their spare before attempting some obstacles. :crazyeyes:

daltexjeeper

:cheesy: The tailgate break you saw on our video was actually pretty tame by comparison to others we have seen. The amount of damage you can do to your tailgate and rear glass is substantial. It's enough that some in our group have resorted to removing their spare before attempting some obstacles. :crazyeyes:

I don't doubt it and there is no shame in removing that tire because I would be right there with them if I was running a tailgate mounted carrier. I always cringe when I see major body damage from something preventable like that.

jeffd

Prove to me where the factory hinges wouldn't be able to support the weight of a bigger spare? In over 6+ years of wheeling with people who've been running 35's or even 37's on a factory tailgate, I have yet to see a single factory hinge break or fail in any manner. So long as the spare is properly isolated, I have yet to see any factory carriers or spot welds break either. Of course, if you're happy with the $400 you spent, don't let anything I say get in your way. :)

Not sure how many posts I have seen about the stops being torn out of the jeep because the tailgate swings open when on slope. with the hinge it is impossible as the hinge does not allow the door to open past 90*. It also stays where I open it to regardless if it is on a slope or not. Plus it looks cool lol. I know for me personally it was well worth $391.

JK's JK

Banned
Last edited:

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
The TF tire carrier may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. In fact, the only reason I am going with the EVO tire carrier is because I just can't afford the superior craftsmanship of the TF Chinese engineering. So, for now I guess ill have to settle for the American made junk for now. :sigh:

Paisano

The TF tire carrier may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. In fact, the only reason I am going with the EVO tire carrier is because I just can't afford the superior craftsmanship of the TF Chinese engineering. So, for now I guess ill have to settle for the American made junk for now. :sigh:

A slant eye once told me why buy round eye product when slant eye product is available?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how many posts I have seen about the stops being torn out of the jeep because the tailgate swings open when on slope. with the hinge it is impossible as the hinge does not allow the door to open past 90*. It also stays where I open it to regardless if it is on a slope or not. Plus it looks cool lol. I know for me personally it was well worth $391.

Sorry, never heard of it and my mistake in the price - $9 short of $400 :naw:

You should come wheeling with me, I'd love to see how we'll your $391 hinges protect your tailgate. :yup:

Top Bottom