Rear Corner Skins and OR-FAB Tire Carrier. Possible???

NY1982JK

So I'm trying to figure out a direction to go as far as tire carriers go. My ultimate plan has me going no larger than a 37" tire, while running 35's for the next couple years more than likely. That being said, I am also wanting to run rear rock skins (Either EVO or PSC). Now as far as tire carriers go, I believe the EVO tire carrier (although beefy as hell) is a little overkill for me. I really like the OR-FAB carrier for the fact that the tire is mounted out back with room for a few rotopax tucked safely between the spare and tailgate. I know GCM2 has hung a massive 40 on the back of one of these with what seems like no issue. Now, has anyone ever seen or know if its possible to mount an OR-FAB carrier to either a set of EVO or PSC rear rock skins? I'm guessing the brackets could just be welded to the skins? Would there be any issue my newbie eye's can't foresee? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it'd be a problem or, at least not too much of one. The tire carrier bolts up to the factory hinge and, while you do have to do some drilling and bolting components up on the driver side, I could see how you could just weld it up as you have mentioned.

NY1982JK

Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Eddie!

I don't think it'd be a problem or, at least not too much of one. The tire carrier bolts up to the factory hinge and, while you do have to do some drilling and bolting components up on the driver side, I could see how you could just weld it up as you have mentioned.

NAUJK

Oh yeah it would be easy to get it to work with skins, Ive seen a few people run it that way. Ive also seen people run the EVO skins with the GenRight carrier as well. Welding or drilling would just take a slight amount of rigging but would work and look great! Its my plan sometime in the future after I get my suspension fixed and set up to put some rear skins on with my OR-Fab carrier.

JKJody

I think sm_rubi has that exact setup on jk forum.

image-2906935788.jpg

Here is a pic but I'm sure you can find more.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm not sure welding would be necessary. First, you have to mount the EVO skins and then take them off for powdercoating. I guess you could mount the bare skins, mount the carrier and put a tire on it so you knew exactly where you need to place the bracket on the driver's side for the OR-Fab carrier, then pull everything off, weld the OR-Fab mount to the EVO skins, have it all powder coated, then mount it all back up. Honestly, I think it would be just as easy to mount the powdercoated skins and then bolt the driver's side OR-Fab bracket like it was a standard install.

Either way, getting the OR-Fab carrier on will be a lot easier once you have cut out the tail light holes for the round LED tail lights. Having that extra room to reach into the tub should be great.

JKJody

The real problem you could run into with the evo skins, is on the passenger side the hinge for the carrier might overlap the round tail light that comes with the evo corners. But I'm sure you can shave it down or something of that nature. When I had my orfab carrier I was looking at doing the exact same thing you are about to do.

Top Bottom