Wife wants upgrades!!!

Evilidea

I'm sure this has been covered but search function wasn't helpful.

The wife wants to do whatever is possible for best mpg.

I have a 2012 JKUR MW3 edition, I already have the AirRaid MPX CAI. I have read that exhaust upgrades and superchips flashpaq will help with mpg and would love to get some feedback from you guys here about my options. The "other" Jeep forums say to remove everything heavy:doh: not very helpful IMHO.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The single best thing you can do is run a set of AT's that have a tread like street tires. Falken AT's are a good choice and from experience, I can tell you that we got about 4 MPG more out of them when compared to a set of Toyo MT's. Rolling resistance or the lack there of makes a big difference in MPG. Aside from that, you drive a big heavy brick in the wind and there's little hope to giving you real MPG increases.

Evilidea

The single best thing you can do is run a set of AT's that have a tread like street tires. Falken AT's are a good choice and from experience, I can tell you that we got about 4 MPG more out of them when compared to a set of Toyo MT's. Rolling resistance or the lack there of makes a big difference in MPG. Aside from that, you drive a big heavy brick in the wind and there's little hope to giving you real MPG increases.

Currently running Nitto terra grapplers and they seem pretty good. Being in Wy a local saying is Utah blows and nebraska sucks so I'm screwed as far as wind goes.:doh:

She read some things about gaining mpg with exhaust and flashpaq and asked me to research it so here I am. currently getting 15-19 mpg so its not that bad IMHO but any reason to convince her of an upgrade is a good reason. Am I rite?

FrankenJeeper

I'm running the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS in 35x12.50x17 with 3.73 gears and 6 speed and when I drive easy I can average 18 or so mpg. And so far the Falken's have performed great offroad in my area. They are not a mud tire by no means, but for the trails and rocks in my area they are great. And I really liked how well they ride, very smooth, and they balance with ease.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

FrankenJeeper

Here's my Falken's in action

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375205163.657839.jpg

Because every thread should have a picture

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Currently running Nitto terra grapplers and they seem pretty good. Being in Wy a local saying is Utah blows and nebraska sucks so I'm screwed as far as wind goes.:doh:

She read some things about gaining mpg with exhaust and flashpaq and asked me to research it so here I am. currently getting 15-19 mpg so its not that bad IMHO but any reason to convince her of an upgrade is a good reason. Am I rite?

You are correct sir! Use it to your advantage! :thumb: :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You won't see any gains with just an exhaust alone. You would need to install a CAI, headers and a high flow exhaust to see anything measureable. A Flashpaq will allow you to tune an 07-10 and soon to be 11 and up but, what I have seen with mine is better performance more than better MPG. There might be some but, not really that significant even with a higher octane setting. Regearing to the proper ratio, making sure that your speedo is properly calibrated and street tires will do you the most in terms of MPG.

xflstl

From someone who drives over 200,000 miles a year I can tell you this, nothing will help you more than the proper tire, and keeping your speed at 65mph or less. Living in Wyoming you are extra screwed, I drive thru there about 6 times a month, nothing kills mph more than WY wind, it is by far where I get the worst mileage...

Speed, proper tires, proper gear for the tires, and so on are your best bet. Programers and such are kind of like snake oil, you can think they work, and they might work, but you cannot prove they work. And even if they do work, it will take you 387 tanks of fuel to recover the cost of the programmer thru fuel saving's.

your best bet is the wife demands better mpg is to get a programmer and set it at a smaller tire setting than you have, there by making the Jeep think 50 miles is really 60 miles and making your computer think you are getting better mileage, and hope it fools the wife. :synister: And rack up the mileage on the jeep :banghead:

Evilidea

your best bet is the wife demands better mpg is to get a programmer and set it at a smaller tire setting than you have, there by making the Jeep think 50 miles is really 60 miles and making your computer think you are getting better mileage, and hope it fools the wife. :synister: And rack up the mileage on the jeep :banghead:

Hehe, as hard as that made me laugh I think I will spend the $$$ elsewhere on something that is useful. Thanks for the laugh though:bleh:

StrizzyChris

From someone who drives over 200,000 miles a year I can tell you this, nothing will help you more than the proper tire, and keeping your speed at 65mph or less. Living in Wyoming you are extra screwed, I drive thru there about 6 times a month, nothing kills mph more than WY wind, it is by far where I get the worst mileage...

Speed, proper tires, proper gear for the tires, and so on are your best bet. Programers and such are kind of like snake oil, you can think they work, and they might work, but you cannot prove they work. And even if they do work, it will take you 387 tanks of fuel to recover the cost of the programmer thru fuel saving's.

This post is like preparation-h...around the hole it's awesome!

Um well exhaust should help a LITTLE. Working with tuner cars in past it was always more beneficial to do both exhaust and intake buts only for power gains. Didn't really measure mpg as well they are tuner cars and you drive them fast. Lol. I have a superchips and noticed a difference from stock. Got like 1-3 mpg more maybe. But it does other things to and I'm happy with the results I got. Like WOL said its also more beneficial to pair the exhaust and intake with some better headers and a full exhaust is more expensive but better than just changing out the muffler. Also as he mentioned the regear I've heard helps a lot and even better when flashed with all the correct ratios and tire size and so forth.

Last edited:

Webe

I got pretty good mileage the last time I went thru Wyoming till I passed a stater anyways. I got up real close to the back of a semi trailer and used its wind to keep me there. I was geting about 28 mpg till the stater got me. lol:doh:

davantalus

Stuff that I didn't see mentioned (but perhaps it was):

Don't run the AC, or open the windows (1-2 mpg)
Lower the jeep and run smaller diameter tires (? mpg)
Running the hard top rather than soft top (1-2mpg)
Drive downhill, both ways.

Other then lowering your jeep, running smaller lighter AT's and alloy wheels is your only practical way to get better mpg. Engine mods won't get you there.
I plan on running 2 sets of tires/wheels on set of 33" AT's and a set of 35 M/T's for wheeling.

Other then lowering your jeep, running smaller lighter AT's and alloy wheels is your only practical way to get better mpg. Engine mods won't get you there.
I plan on running 2 sets of tires/wheels on set of 33" AT's and a set of 35 M/T's for wheeling.

Um yea engine mods do help. There are tons of reviews of products and people running engine mods that have showed increases in mpg. I mean we aren't talking 10-20 mpg gains but you do get some. My simple superchips netted me a couple of mpg increase with lift and 35s.

axeman628

More stickers... :cheesy:

Seriously though, you're getting 15-19 now, like others have said different wheels/tires will maybe get you a little more. Also, try to keep the ECO light on while you're driving. Maybe I missed it, but other than the tires, what other upgrades do you have. Aftermarket bumper?

Evilidea

More stickers... :cheesy:

Seriously though, you're getting 15-19 now, like others have said different wheels/tires will maybe get you a little more. Also, try to keep the ECO light on while you're driving. Maybe I missed it, but other than the tires, what other upgrades do you have. Aftermarket bumper?

Yea, my MW3 came with AEV front and rear bumpers a warn 9.5 cti, tera flex BB and 305-70-17 nitto terra grapplers, an airraid CAI and a fancy rear view mirror with reverse camera sunk into rear bumper. I think everything else is stock rubicon. I am happy with my town mpg really and will be heading to SLC next weekend so I can test the highway mpg. Honestly I am happy with evreything and plan to only make it worse with offroad upgrades down the road but since the wife wants upgrades that up the mpg I figured I'd research a little and see if I could make this a win/win situation. One that I'll wait and see on is a Tuner system for the 2012's 3.6L. I doubt that I will do headers and full exhaust system, at least until I require a high clearance setup. One thing that bugs me is the 1st owner did do alot but the dealer did not give me any breakdown of what was done so I have no idea if it was re-geared at all and what other small changes may have been done. Oh well break it and upgrade right?

Top Bottom