A brake question

jeff_in_rc

Over the last 2 days this has happened to me a couple of times and is making me concerened, when I press on the brakes the pedal will go down about 2/3 of the way to the floor before I get any braking action. Now if I let the pedal back up and press them again it feels normal. After this happens all is normal for a long time, well that is until it happens again!

I plan on doing a full inspection tonight from front to back and all lines that are part of the braking system but was wondering what could cause this to happen?

Yea I know it's a 25yo Jeep but in the last 16 months that I have owned it I have never had any brake issues. BTW I did a complete inspection right after getting the Jeep and at that time all was well.

Thanks all! :thumb:

Paisano

Just went through the same problem, ended up being the Master Cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeff_in_rc

Thanks for the reply

Just went through the same problem, ended up being the Master Cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks Paisano, that is what I was thinking but not being a brake expert I wanted to get a few opinions, know what I mean? :D

jeff_in_rc

OK guys did a complete inspection, no leaks anywhere, master cyclinder is full, front brakes are in great shape with lots of pad left and the disks look great, the drivers rear looks good and no leaking wheel cyclinder BUT the passanger rear is another story! When I pulled the drum off the brake material came off with the drum! Wooppss! Time for rear brakes for sure.

I will get the drums measured to see if they will be within spec after turning but if not I will get new drums as well. I plan on replacing everything but the wheel cyclinders or do you think I should replace those as well? Thanks guys.

jhires

OK guys did a complete inspection, no leaks anywhere, master cyclinder is full, front brakes are in great shape with lots of pad left and the disks look great, the drivers rear looks good and no leaking wheel cyclinder BUT the passanger rear is another story! When I pulled the drum off the brake material came off with the drum! Wooppss! Time for rear brakes for sure.

I will get the drums measured to see if they will be within spec after turning but if not I will get new drums as well. I plan on replacing everything but the wheel cyclinders or do you think I should replace those as well? Thanks guys.

If you had one wheel where the brakes were way out of spec with the others, I'd consider replacing the cylinder there as well.

jeff_in_rc

Thanks guys this is what I was looking for. I will just replace everything and be done with it that way I KNOW that there is nothing wrong with my brakes. :thumb:

jeff_in_rc

Oh and I found another issue, the drums on a D35 are supposed to be 1 3/4" wide but the ones on mine are 2 1/2" wide. Sounds like someone put the ones from a D44 on my Jeep. That and the shoes on one side are 1 3/4" but the others are 2 1/2, very strange stuff here, damn PO's! :doh:

Top Bottom