super swampers

miguel250r

I was wondering if anybody has had problems with super swampers blowing the side walls out at highway speeds I love the look of swampers n was thinking bout them for my jk but about 6 years ago I had a set of SSR radials on my duramax pickup and when they hit 10k or 15k miles they started blowing out with half tread left I replaced I replaced 2 of them thinking it was a fluke but on the 3rd one I switched to mickey Thompson MTZ. Has anyone else had problems with swampers or is it just me

Webe

I worked for a tire store for about 6 yrs. Sold alot of them. Never seen one come back with a blown sidewall.

miguel250r

That's kinda weird I blew out 3 they were 31x12.50r16 on a 16x10 wheel one blew out doing 60 pulling toy hauler and other 2 times do 70 not loaded

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
I ran them on my F-250 for a while. They are a good tire for mudding, but I'm not a fan of the overall tread life. If i wanted something that aggressive, I would go with the Nitto Mud Grappler. Just my $0.02.

SteelBadger

I was wondering if anyone has ever used the 35x10.5R17 LT SSR Radial Super Swampers. I love a pizza cutter look and these are some of the few available.

Keep in mind this is an aesthetic choice and I doubt I can justify $475/ tire on a whim and new tires won't be coming my way until the spring anyway.

For what it is worth, they claim that "The design incorporates a slightly tighter tread pattern, siping for wet pavement traction and icy conditions, greater sidewall protection with traction features and is quieter running."

Have at it! :stick hiting:

SteelBadger

I was wondering if anyone has ever used the 35x10.5R17 LT SSR Radial Super Swampers. I love a pizza cutter look and these are some of the few available.

Keep in mind this is an aesthetic choice and I doubt I can justify $475/ tire on a whim and new tires won't be coming my way until the spring anyway.

For what it is worth, they claim that "The design incorporates a slightly tighter tread pattern, siping for wet pavement traction and icy conditions, greater sidewall protection with traction features and is quieter running."

Have at it! :stick hiting:

No one? Bump!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have not run those specific Super Swampers but as a whole, they tend to be hard to balance and not real great for a daily driver. But, on the trail, they do perform well.

SteelBadger

I have not run those specific Super Swampers but as a whole, they tend to be hard to balance and not real great for a daily driver. But, on the trail, they do perform well.

Thank for the response Eddie. I had a hunch that would be the case. I was hoping that the less dramatic lugs and siping on these ones would make them somewhat better on the road than some of the other Swampers.

I think I may have to let go of the pizza cutter dream lol.

David1tontj

I've run super swampers on a couple different rigs. I've put them through hell and Never even had a flat. Though I have never run them on a full size truck. Sounds to me like you were over their load capacity for sure. That coupled with possible over inflation- the high speeds would make more heat- further increasing the air pressure and...... Boom.

I love super swampers, but I don't think they belong on a daily driver.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

t8er

I'd say the tires overheated. I just bought tires for my Jeep and I could have saved a ton of money if I had bought super swampers but they weren't radials they were the bias ply models which heat up fast at highway speeds. I've had quite a few friends with them in Florida and honestly most switched to the radial baja claws instead.

Top Bottom