Recommended Battery for Jeep JK.

JaySC

So after the little lady drained my jeep battery twice in four days by leaving the reverse Rigid lights on I am now getting an error code. AAA guy says my battery is toast because of all the switches hooked up to it (spod, off road lights, etc.) and pointed out the battery acid. He then recommended the Optimum battery but I havent heard good things about it. What batteries do you all run and what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
Did the AAA guy test the battery? Or just claim all the stuff hooked up ruined it? I'd start there.

There are a couple of writeups on here about batteries. :thumb:

Paisano

So after the little lady drained my jeep battery twice in four days by leaving the reverse Rigid lights on I am now getting an error code. AAA guy says my battery is toast because of all the switches hooked up to it (spod, off road lights, etc.) and pointed out the battery acid. He then recommended the Optimum battery but I havent heard good things about it. What batteries do you all run and what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I run Two of the Batteries Plus X2

JaySC

Did the AAA guy test the battery? Or just claim all the stuff hooked up ruined it? I'd start there.

There are a couple of writeups on here about batteries. :thumb:

Yeah he tested the battery...I had one little black spec left lol. He said even after he charged the jeep, it probably wont start in the morning.

jeeeep

Hooked
you might want to look at a dual battery setup, with the proper setup your primary battery will stay protected and cut off any items before it drains it dead.

Check Genesis Offroad, they have a great ready to install dual-battery harness - it's expensive but I researched all the parts and while you can purchase them a little cheaper, by the time you add the box and labor into assembly IMO it's worth the price.

I run the Sears DieHard Platinum it's done well, but I almost killed it by leaving the CB on for the day while out on the trails taking in the scenery! if you're looking for the best battery, I hear great things about the Odyssey PC1500(expensive), guys I know that have far more accessories than I do swear by it over Optima.

Problem I see is if you're just running a single battery and lights/accessories are being left on, the best battery won't help you out. I've seen auto cutoff switches to avoid battery drain, do a search for battery smart switch - check out colehersee.com

I've got a corner in my living room of electrical goodies waiting to be installed but saving for the Genesis box.

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
you might want to look at a dual battery setup, with the proper setup your primary battery will stay protected and cut off any items before it drains it dead.

Check Genesis Offroad, they have a great ready to install dual-battery harness - it's expensive but I researched all the parts and while you can purchase them a little cheaper, by the time you add the box and labor into assembly IMO it's worth the price.

I run the Sears DieHard Platinum it's done well, but I almost killed it by leaving the CB on for the day while out on the trails taking in the scenery! if you're looking for the best battery, I hear great things about the Odyssey PC1500(expensive), guys I know that have far more accessories than I do swear by it over Optima.

Problem I see is if you're just running a single battery and lights/accessories are being left on, the best battery won't help you out. I've seen auto cutoff switches to avoid battery drain, do a search for battery smart switch - check out colehersee.com

I've got a corner in my living room of electrical goodies waiting to be installed but saving for the Genesis box.

It is my understanding that the Sears DieHard Platinum is an Odyssey battery...it's just been rebranded. Some people love Optima, others not so much.

That new Genesis kit does look nice and I agree it seems worth it (at least to me) to purchase the whole thing as a kit.

JaySC

I spoke with Mel today and he laid out the pros and cons with the different set ups. I'll be dropping off the jeep at Off Road Evolution on Monday for a new battery and some other issues I've been having. Thanks for the help guys!

Paisano

That Genises is an expensive kit for a tray and isolator. My M.O.R.E. dual battery tray and isolator works flawlessly for a lot less the that.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375304926.030177.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375304941.505855.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I don't think Sears is rebranded, if I recall the group size for the Sears is actually smaller than the Odyssey and the internals are very different.The Odyessy 1500 batteries are around 50# each!
After looking at some of the specs on various Odyessy batteries, I wonder if you couldn't use a smaller unit for starting duty and larger one for accessories...could save a few pounds.

JaySC

Yeah I wonder how necessary running a dual battery set up is, especially if I'm not running a fridge. I just have a bunch of lights and a winch.

jeeeep

Hooked
Yeah I wonder how necessary running a dual battery set up is, especially if I'm not running a fridge. I just have a bunch of lights and a winch.

guess if you have a wife that leaves the accessories on :crazyeyes:

I don't know about car batteries but I imagine depending on the battery type, the draw from so many accessories can shorten it's life as well as the life of the alternator. Starting batteries are designed to provide a quick burst of energy to start the vehicle, if there are a lot of accessories on it then I imagine the battery at some point loses it's charge and the alternator has to work harder to try and charge the battery as well as keep the accessories going. Deep cycle provides it's energy over a longer period of time, guess that's why they're measured in time and are designed for accessories. They also charge slower so maybe they can recharge faster than the power they lose? don't know but I was with my buddy when he used his winch for awhile then turned off his Jeep while we ate and it was dead when we were ready to go, may have been a bad battery to begin with but it wasn't that old.

We need an automotive electrical expert!

dstock

I went with a MORE tray and National Luna Split Charge system and 2 x Diehard Platinums which are re-branded Odyssey batteries. I do run a fridge which is my main reason for the duals.

i-2jRRTzq-L.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
I went with a MORE tray and National Luna Split Charge system and 2 x Diehard Platinums which are re-branded Odyssey batteries. I do run a fridge which is my main reason for the duals.

i-2jRRTzq-L.jpg

you're correct, I found the Press Release on the Sears site, now to find out if they have all the same internals...time to call Odyssey

Top Bottom